What's new

Acts of Terrorism in pakistan I

Status
Not open for further replies.
AM, Please no disrespect for people on other forums and/or their forums.

Jana, KBD, quit the personal comments about AM off the board. Who/what he is, is of no consequence to the debate he brings forward. Address his debate, not him.

Yes i agree if it is a crime arrest the person and put them infront of a court,but do not go around attacking masjids,we all know they could have a peaceful outcome to lal masjid "drama" and not got into all this bombings.
Mushy refused .

What?? You think there could have been a peaceful outcome to the Lal Masjid episode? You do know what they were saying, do you not? That they wanted Shariah in Pakistan, and that they were going to kidnap and kill people until they get their own childish way? Do you even know what destabilization means or leads to in a country? To be honest, I wholeheartedly support what happened in Lal Masjid, and I hope Musharraf follows it up with more raids on any other place in Pakistan where these criminals exist. Army shouldnt attack Masjids, but criminals residing in them puts a whole new complexion on the affair. Should kidnappers be allowed in Masjids? Even murderers, just because they happen to act so very pious.

Musharraf actually did get to power legally in Pakistan. The Supreme Court ruled it as legal provided political and economic reform was achieved or something. I'd say both objectives have been met.

Mushy was not elected but seized power,he has no authority to ask others to follow the law if he has not himself....

We have to be a bit more pragmatic about the realities on the ground dabong sahab. Regardless of what systems and institutions we would like, we have what we have. To argue that Musharraf should do absolutely nothing to combat crime and lawlessness, because he took power in a coup, is ludicrous. You are once again, performing logical contortions, and twisting and turning different issues into one another to somehow get the Mullahs off the hook.

The issue is simple; Are the militants committing crimes? Yes they are; suicide bombings, ambushes on government troops, unlawful restrictions on the residents in their areas etc. Whats the solution? The government, regardless of whether its elected or not, has to try and control this. If you do not like Musharrafs government, try and convince the masses to go to the streets, try and get a peaceful revolution to overthrow him; do what the lawyers movement did to reinstate the Chief justice. But you have no right to say that the Government should do absolutely nothing to reign in lawless elements. Will you tell the widows, orphans and mothers, who lost their husbands, parents and sons in suicide bombings, that Musharraf should do nothing to reign in criminals and terrorists? Will you tell the people of Pakistan that Musharraf should disband the police and let robbers, rapists, dacoits and murderers have their day because, "he has no authority to ask others to follow the law if he has not himself"?

Your argument is intellectually bankrupt. You know very well that the actions of the militants are criminal, but in order to hide from having to condemn them and discuss how to solve the problem, you keep spinning into other issues. No human can claim to be perfect, and to argue that a government official should only be able to uphold the law if they themselves have never violated any, or are morally and ethically unstained...well you might as well disband every government in the world, including the first four caliphates, because they too were not led by perfect individuals. The idea is absurd!

Yes i agree if it is a crime arrest the person and put them infront of a court,but do not go around attacking masjids,we all know they could have a peaceful outcome to lal masjid "drama" and not got into all this bombings.
Mushy refused .

I am not talking about the LM issue here (The Lal Masjid Issue is already being discussed in its own thread so I wont comment here), but the suicide bombings and attacks occurring in the Tribal areas, that the Tribal Taliban have taken responsibility for. The Tribals don't accept the Pakistani court system, and the Taliban have pretty much rendered the Jirga system of Justice inconsequential, because of their own "shariat courts" and the "trials and punishments" they have been handing out. So at this point there is no option for the State, but to try and "patch" things up through what little of the Jirga system remains, and back up those negotiations with a show of force, and finally utilize force to neutralize the criminals if the talks fail. What options do you have?

So you think that the army had nothing to do with bringing the MMA "unelected Mullah thugs" together and giving them control of NWFP/ Baluchistan?
It is really simple do you want a pakistan that allows alcohol/homosexuality/promotion of single mothers/call girls ect ect or a islamic pakistan that follows the sharia.

They very well may have, though I believe that keeping in mind the conservative mindset of the people in the NWFP, the election of the MMA was very likely "free and fair". I am also not calling the MMA "unelcted Mullah thugs"; they were "elected", in some fashion. The "Mullah thugs" are the LM bradran, the Mullahs who go on violent "morality and vice" campaigns without being a part of any state institution, and ofcourse our "Tribal Taliban".

The MMA is however sympathizing with the criminal actions being committed by the "mullah thugs". The situation is quite similar to the Afghan war militant situation; where the government supported a group because it might offer some sort of strategic advantage for Pakistan, and unfortunately, as they say in urdu; "kuch logon ko ungli do to pura bazoo pakr latay hain" (paraphrasing here :) ) People make mistakes and governments make mistakes. Time to rectify this one too perhaps.

One of the greatest islamic hero's in modern times is Mullah Omar.
To compare busharaff or attadog to him is insulting.

:rofl:

Pray tell, how is that?
The demolition of "Buddhist Statues", allowing Al Qaeda "safe haven", despite being presented evidence, that convinced almost every other country that saw it, that Osama was responsible. Not allowing women to get an education. Punishing men for shaving beards and women for not wearing burqas. Wow. What a hero. As if the Muslim world was not struggling to catch up in Science, Technology and development anyway, we need catalysts like these to really accelerate our downward slide.

But please feel free to start a thread to enlighten us on why "Mullah Omar" was so "great".

Dabong janab, how on earth do you reconcile the following two comments of yours?

Originally Posted by dabong1
One of the greatest islamic hero's in modern times is Mullah Omar.
To compare busharaff or attadog to him is insulting.

If it is a afghan or saudi style sharia then i am totally against as it is not islamic.
I live in the UK so when i talk of sharia i am bound to have more liberal interpretation.

"Afghan style Shariah" is not Islamic, but Mullah Omar is "One of the greatest islamic hero's in modern times".

Dear Dabong1,

Would like your views on the below posted by AM. Also once Pakistan (if it ever) becomes a sharia state would you allow elections and who would have the final authority to determine the type of Sharia to implemented.

Regards

The demolition of "Buddhist Statues", allowing Al Qaeda "safe haven", despite being presented evidence, that convinced almost every other country that saw it, that Osama was responsible. Not allowing women to get an education. Punishing men for shaving beards and women for not wearing burqas. Wow. What a hero. As if the Muslim world was not struggling to catch up in Science, Technology and development anyway, we need catalysts like these to really accelerate our downward slide.

I agree with you AgnosticMuslim, but not on 2 counts.

1) NWFP isn't so conservative. They usually vote in secular parties. They voted MMA last time only because of the American bombing of Afghanistan, which revived a bit of radicalism in the region. They will probably vote a secular party in next time.

2) Though the Taliban were compared to the Western standard a beacon of backwardness, the situation prior to their arrival was even worse due to the power vacuum that left a war ongoing following the Soviet withdrawal. I agree with you on the beard thing. It's a ludicrous decision by their Council or whatever to force men to grow beards, but that is what uneducated people do..make stupid decisions. On the banning of women's education I'm not so sure as literacy was always very low following the war, it might just have been propaganda. I agree with you Mullah Omar was an uneducated leader, but it was an uneducated country. In some ways Mullah Omar was good for Afghanistan at the time, Musharraf is good for Pakistan at this time. I can't really imagine Musharraf ruling Afghanistan with any popular support. He'd be a bit like Karzai is now, a mayor in Kabul.

I agree with you AgnosticMuslim, but not on 2 counts.

1) NWFP isn't so conservative. They usually vote in secular parties. They voted MMA last time only because of the American bombing of Afghanistan, which revived a bit of radicalism in the region. They will probably vote a secular party in next time.

I must admit that in hindsight your argument is valid. Until the last elections, the MMA was unable to establish much of a foot hold in the NWFP either, so attributing their popularity to the events in Afghanistan seems reasonable. I just hope that the people see the hypocrisy and intolerance of the extremist elements and keep them out of power this time.

2) Though the Taliban were compared to the Western standard a beacon of backwardness, the situation prior to their arrival was even worse due to the power vacuum that left a war ongoing following the Soviet withdrawal. I agree with you on the beard thing. It's a ludicrous decision by their Council or whatever to force men to grow beards, but that is what uneducated people do..make stupid decisions. On the banning of women's education I'm not so sure as literacy was always very low following the war, it might just have been propaganda. I agree with you Mullah Omar was an uneducated leader, but it was an uneducated country. In some ways Mullah Omar was good for Afghanistan at the time, Musharraf is good for Pakistan at this time. I can't really imagine Musharraf ruling Afghanistan with any popular support. He'd be a bit like Karzai is now, a mayor in Kabul.

You bring up a valid point there as well. The Taliban did actually bring about some improvements. On the law and order front, the areas under their control witnessed drastic improvements. The drug and war lords who terrorized their areas were brought under control and people could at least live without fear of extortion, criminals etc. But I think that worked because of the horrendous state of events before they came into power. Once they had fixed the basic law and order issues, they just lacked the capacity to engineer change in other areas; their lack of education could very well have been a reason for this, but it illustrates why Pakistan would never benefit from a Mullah Omar. We are already far better than Afghanistan was under him, so to have people like him in charge would only make us regress; since they would not see the benefits of modernization, tolerance and openness in bringing about development.

The education issue was not propoganda. I was still living with my parents at the time in the Mid East, and I remember reading an interview with one of Mullah Omar's spokesmen then (in a local English newspaper, Khaleej Times I think). He was specifically questioned about the lack of education facilities for women and a lack of women, who were trained already, servicing the few institutions the regime had. His response was that the government believed in complete segregation of the sexes, and since they did not have funds to construct seperate schools for women, the women could not be educated. Similar response to women not being used to staff hospitals, offices etc. where men also worked. His reply implied that even if the regime had the funds to build more schools, they would take care of the men first.

I agree with the point you're making about leadership in Afghanistan having to reflect the state and concerns of the citizenry itself. Given enough time, and no Northern Alliance, perhaps Afghanistan might have evolved, albeit slowly. Though I think such a situation would not have bode well for Pakistan. (selfish comment I know)

I often wonder why some Muslims use the Taliban or Saudi regimes as examples of "Pure Islamic governments" when they have failed so obviously on so many counts. If anything, a case can be made to emulate the Iranian system. Their accomplishments, in little less than thirty years since the Shah, are astounding. Though i would not like their restrictive form of government either, they have made remarkable progress in education, S and T, Industry, basic infrastructure for their citizens etc. Despite sanctions galore.

Agnostic, i would look at Turkey as the best example of a successful modern muslim country. Iran's development is squarely tied to its export of oil and natural gas. Its not a stable foundation.

Turkey is an envy for all secular countries.

Agnostic, i would look at Turkey as the best example of a successful modern muslim country. Iran's development is squarely tied to its export of oil and natural gas. Its not a stable foundation.

I agree with that view, with some changes in their anti-religion laws. I was trying to compare theocratic Muslim regimes though. Saudi Arabia, Iran and Afghanistan serve as our test cases in modern times. Iran's development may be tied to Oil and gas (and you could make an argument that thats a result of Western Sanctions), but it is how they have manged to use that money in improving the lot of their people that stands out. There are more women than men enrolled in Iran's universities, a very high (almost 80% I think) overall literacy rate. Decent law and order, public services etc. They have not neglected the arts. Iranian film, music and culture still makes waves internationally.

Turkey is an envy for all secular countries.

Their "Secularism" is backfiring a bit now. The justice party just got elected again and with more seats than people thought possible, keeping in mind the massive pro-secularism protests that occurred right before the election. I think the Turks and French have pushed secularism too far, to where religion is fighting back. I do not support Turkey becoming a theocracy, but they have to relax some of the religious restrictions they have in place or the current pro-religion tide might not stop.

Regarding Turkey we shall have to cautious as the Islamist have returned again in yesterdays election, which is a kind of slap in the face of secular military generals who think themselves as the protector of secularism and Kemalist ideas. If the Islamist get 2/3 majority some time in future then there will be the real test of its stability as Islamist will try to ammend many clauses of the constitution going totally against the Islamic principles.

What?? You think there could have been a peaceful outcome to the Lal Masjid episode? You do know what they were saying, do you not?.

Yes ,they could have avoided the bloodshed.
What is the point of having talks or where they no talks taking place?

Do you even know what destabilization means or leads to in a country? .

Yes is that when a democratic govt is overthrown and then the dictator attacks two provinces in the country that could lead to civil....yes i think i understand what you mean

To be honest, I wholeheartedly support what happened in Lal Masjid, and I hope Musharraf follows it up with more raids on any other place in Pakistan where these criminals exist..

Expect more bombing then.

Musharraf actually did get to power legally in Pakistan..

So you have no problem with a mullah coming into power the same way mushy did?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom