What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

while china busy building that. uncle is working on these..

i hope china have something similar on paper. need to stop playing catch up :lol:
speedagilefront.jpg

8c5b1f0c9f9a497a8144803.jpg
For now, in the area of heavy airlift, China cannot help but play catch up. The technology has been matured by others, notably the US and Soviets/Russia. All that fanciful 'stealth' versions are speculative, even for US as we have other priorities.

For strategic air transport, China does not have anything that can move -- within the crucial 48/72 hrs window -- the US 82nd Airborne equivalent to anywhere on mainland China, and by that I mean not only troops but all of their support including armor. Not only does the PLA do not have a capable strategic heavy lifter, the PLAAF does not have sufficient quantity of whatever is capable anyway. About 30 IL-76MDs? While the US have over 200 C17s, not counting the C-141 and the C-5, the last is freed and used for outsized cargo. Supposedly, the PLA's 99A2 main battle tank cannot be air transported with the current airlift capability. Not only that, because the C-17 came from matured platforms like the -130, -141, and the -5, all with proven global record, from tactical small units to their battlefields to strategic division level transport, the C-17 was given tacit trust by potential customers even before the first delivery.

The Y-20 is about two years behind schedule, which is not to sneer at because the US have our own manufacturing issues, but when coupled with an engine that for now lends the perception that said engine is crippling the Y-20's optimistic capabilities, it will be several more years, possibly a decade, before the Y-20 is truly capable for mass production and the PLA can be rightfully admitted to an exclusive club of heavy strategic airlift capable militaries.

A decade ready for induction? Get a life any where else. 3 years from now is more than enough, we can't wait too
Long.

A decade ready for induction? Get a life any where else. 3 years from now is more than enough, we can't wait too
Long.
I take it you speak from extensive personal experience in aviation?

Unfourtantly, gambit is correct about the importance of airbornce troops in combat. Look at the Panama offensive in 1989.

I hope PAC and PAF can use and contribute to this aircraft's future development, even if as license supply manufacturer - I think this ship has tremendous potential - very proud of and for this achievement by Chinese engineers and industry.

I hope PAC and PAF can use and contribute to this aircraft's future development, even if as license supply manufacturer - I think this ship has tremendous potential - very proud of and for this achievement by Chinese engineers and industry.

Do, you think PAF needs such a heavy lift air craft?

Yes, absolutely - when you "such" -- today, an AL-Khalid weighs 48 tons -- The Max payload on this ship is 66tons and this ship will never unless a one way trip, be operating on Max load.

Would you also be very surprised if a development of this ship may include Turbo props?

And when I say contribute, I mean the manufacture of or assembly of parts - I'm looking towars an integration between user of the platform

These could be the replacement of older C-130s post 2020. The way western market is neglecting Pakistan and Pakistan's treatment with them, only Chinese option would be left. I don't like to say but Pakistan could face some sort of sanctions post 2014-2015 when US starts leaving afghanistan. C-130 is a great platform but if you see Pakistan's poor switch on-off relationship with US a sane decision would be to switch to alternative.

Y-20 would be able to carry twice tonnage then C-130E/H, PAF can safely replace 5-6 of them for 3 Y-20s in the future.

(CNN) -- Official Chinese media have hailed the successful test flight of China's first domestically made jumbo air freighter.
Few details were released about the flight, made Saturday, but the test indicates China's ambitions to add a heavy freighter to its capabilities and match better against traditional air powers, Russia and the United States.
READ: China lands first jet on aircraft carrier
Other large air freighters already flying include the Russian-built Ilyushin Il-76, the U.S.-made Boeing C-17 Globemaster III and, largest of them all, the Antonov An-225 -- also Russian.
The four-engine Yun-20, or Transport-20, is a huge, multi-function airfreighter that can perform various long distance air transport tasks targeting cargo and passengers, the state-run Xinhua News Agency said.
READ: Jet sale boosts China's rivalry with Airbus, Boeing
"The successful maiden flight of the Y-20 is important in promoting China's economic and national defense buildup, as well as improving its emergency response and humanitarian aid abilities," the Ministry of National Defense said on its website.
The flight boosts China's presence as a global aircraft manufacturer as well as its military capabilities.
"A genuine strategic air power must possess a strong power projection capability, which is highly reliant on large aircraft, namely a strategic air freighter and a strategic bomber," said Wang Yanan, deputy editor in chief at Aerospace Knowledge magazine and a military analyst, in a China Daily report.
Late last year, a domestic order of 50 Chinese-built C919 commercial jets provided further evidence of China's growing stake in the aviation industry.
The C919 is China's answer to the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 -- a single-aisle, 168-seat, narrow-body commercial liner produced by Chinese state-run aircraft manufacturer Comac (Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China).
Little is known about the Y-20, with a China Daily report stating the aircraft is believed to have been developed by the Xi'an Aircraft Industry, a subsidiary of Aviation Industry Corp. of China, the major military aircraft manufacturer.
The same report indicated the plane had a payload of around 66 metric tons, big enough to transport combat tanks.
According to China Daily, the official codename of the aircraft is Kunpeng, named after a legendary bird in Chinese mythology that can fly thousands of kilometers.
The Y-20 will continue to undergo experiments and test flights, local media reported.
READ: What's in store for China this year?
China's new super cargo jet takes to the skies - CNN.com

Y-9 will be the counterpart to American's C-130J, while Y-20 will be filling in C-17's role. However, both will not be as capable as their American competition at the time of introduction. Engine continues to be an issue holding back the military.

Back
Top Bottom