What's new

World Bank ICP 2011: Pakistan's GDP $788 Billion, Per Capita $4,450

It's interesting that the Indian govt uses a bigger PPP correction factor that Pakistan for GDP even though the dollar goes farther in Pakistan. Using a more generous PPP correction factor of 2.9 for India as claimed by Economic Survey of India 2011 rather than the 2.5 estimated by IMF for both neighbors, the PPP GDP per capita for Indian and Pakistan work out to $3532 and $3135 respectively for 2011 without taking into account the latest ICP results from the World Bank.

Haq's Musings: India and Pakistan Per Capita GDPs at $3,100 in 2010-11

23jjv9c.jpg

Source:

Date 29-April 2014
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/...the-2011-International-Comparison-Program.pdf

Its clear 2011 figures at this point are outdated for Pakistan. They put nominal GDP at $222 billion and per capita $1255. Latest figures are $300 billion and per capita $1600. Indian nominal GDP also tanked to $1.7 trillion in 2014. One can see Pakistan GDP 2011 in Rupees in last colum, Rs 19.17 trillion but as of 2014 now its Rs 29.7 trillion.

Another interesting fact Iran GDP has crashed to $219 billion nominal. This is because of currency devaluation. Since Iran is oil producing country it should go up once sanctions are lifted.

vSvJqA4.jpg

Last edited:
So the DATA got updated.I told you it will take sometime when the data will get updated.

GDP, PPP (current international $) | Data | Table

794Billion dollars as of 2012 in GDP PPP

@Aether
I was actually surprised too. I remember the GDP PPP was close to 500 billion dollars during the Musharraf's era. Later I just got a long pause. Seems like finally we have received an update...

So basically we are now richer than Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Holland, Ireland, Kuwait and most of the Arab nations in terms of GDP PPPP

lol

Its clear 2011 figures at this point are outdated for Pakistan. They put nominal GDP at $222 billion and per capita $1255. Latest figures are $300 billion and per capita $1600. Indian nominal GDP also tanked to $1.7 trillion in 2014. One can see Pakistan GDP 2011 in Rupees in last colum, Rs 19.17 trillion but as of 2014 now its Rs 29.7 trillion.

Another interesting fact Iran GDP has crashed to $219 billion nominal. This is because of currency devaluation. Since Iran is oil producing country it should go up once sanctions are lifted.

vSvJqA4.jpg
How come India's GDP is Just $1.7 Trillion in 2014? Considering rupee is below 60 now and our GDP in rupee term was more than 110 trillion in 2013(so obviously It would be more than 110 trillion in 2014 say 120+ trillion). Calculate and see if its more than $1.9 trillion now or not.

Last edited:
I was actually surprised too. I remember the GDP PPP was close to 500 billion dollars during the Musharraf's era. Later I just got a long pause. Seems like finally we have received an update...

So basically we are now richer than Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Holland, Ireland, Kuwait and most of the Arab nations in terms of GDP PPPP

lol

Nominal GDP will also experience a sudden increase like this since we will change the base year in 2016,

Yes and our GDP PPP is also increasing faster.It would be safe to assume that our GDP in 2014 is atleast above 900Billion dollars.Possibly next year in 2015 it will hit the 1trillion dollars mark

why can i not see what you guys are seeing?

World Bank database is giving a nominal GDP of $225bn for 2012. GDP per capital is $1,257 ($1,503 for india). although the GNI (PPP terms) is $883 which gives a GNI per capital (PPP based) of $4,670 for 2012 ($5,080 for India): The World Bank DataBank | Explore . Create . Share

however, CIA estimate for 2013 is way too low. they give a nominal GDP of $236bn which is $574bn in PPP terms: The World Factbook

IMF estimate for 2013 is also $239bn in nominal terms with a GDP per capital estimate of $1308. Their GDP estimate in PPP terms is $542bn with the corresponding per capital figure of $2,969 ($4060 for India): Report for Selected Countries and Subjects

it seems that the difference is because of the GNI and GDP. World Bank estimate is for the GNI per capita where as IMF and CIA are reporting the GDP per capita. Since GNI also includes remittances (and other net international income), the per capital GNI ends up being very large than the corresponding GDP per capita.

why can i not see what you guys are seeing?

World Bank database is giving a nominal GDP of $225bn for 2012. GDP per capital is $1,257 ($1,503 for india). although the GNI (PPP terms) is $883 which gives a GNI per capital (PPP based) of $4,670 for 2012 ($5,080 for India): The World Bank DataBank | Explore . Create . Share

however, CIA estimate for 2013 is way too low. they give a nominal GDP of $236bn which is $574bn in PPP terms: The World Factbook

IMF estimate for 2013 is also $239bn in nominal terms with a GDP per capital estimate of $1308. Their GDP estimate in PPP terms is $542bn with the corresponding per capital figure of $2,969 ($4060 for India): Report for Selected Countries and Subjects

it seems that the difference is because of the GNI and GDP. World Bank estimate is for the GNI per capita where as IMF and CIA are reporting the GDP per capita. Since GNI also includes remittances (and other net international income), the per capital GNI ends up being very large than the corresponding GDP per capita.

It is because the World bank source is the most latest.

The above link i posted has been published/Updated only 3days earlier..

in Nominal Terms our GDP again is more than 300Billion dollars since nominal GDP is all about exchange rate and we had more than 8% rupee appreciation this year along with a possible 4% Growth rate add to this the inflation boosting Pakistan GDP will experience similar to india/China.

Just recently Nigeria changed the base year which resulted in the addition of more than 166Billion dollars into the nominal GDP.Bangladesh GDP increased from 114Billion dollars to 155Billion dollars only by changing the base year.

Pakistan will change the base year in 2016 which will atleast result in the addition of 150Billion dollars to our nominal GDP.

in Nominal Terms our GDP again is more than 300Billion dollars since nominal GDP is all about exchange rate and we had more than 8% rupee appreciation this year along with a possible 4% Growth rate add to this the inflation boosting Pakistan GDP will experience similar to india/China.

Just recently Nigeria changed the base year which resulted in the addition of more than 166Billion dollars into the nominal GDP.Bangladesh GDP increased from 114Billion dollars to 155Billion dollars only by changing the base year.

Pakistan will change the base year in 2016 which will atleast result in the addition of 150Billion dollars to our nominal GDP.

i see. thanks.

Why WB website says Pak PPP GDP $751 billion as of 2011 while current report says $788?

But the report which says $788 billion as of 2011 is also latest right? Released just couple of week ago.

Both are right.just slight differences.

Good thing is no matter what,We might hit 1trillion GDP PPP mark next year

great news....and when ever i see the money and spending of Pakistani peoples i always felt tht Pak per capita is not wht we see it should be above 6000$...................but why still pakistan govt dont cnfrm anything?

P.S: Pakistan's Nominal GDP have already crossed 300 billion $ which also i think is not correct it should be above 400 Billion $

thats because you live and spend in the city, its lower in the rural Pakistan

Back
Top Bottom