What's new

Wikileaks Expose: What India said about Sri Lanka

We are not expecting India to stand shoulder to shoulder with Sri Lanka

The issue is India telling us we are friends but the reality is they tried to destroy us in the past.

:coffee:
If india had pushed ahead with it's previous policies , do u think ltte could have been won over? Firstly , the ppl involved in smuggling arms for ltte were caught and jailed here. Do you think we did that out of goodwill for srilanka or for letting sri lanka be destroyed. For a country , which was getting so bad reviews in the international media for human rights abuses and wartime attrocities , no country would hand them over the captives. You are clearly not bothered abt the world.You act blind and deaf to all evidences against you. That doesn't make a difference to sri lanka. however for us who are trying to assume a more responsible role in the world , we don't have that option.

we made ltte and we are sorry!!!!!!!!but india really cares about srilanka ......nowadays.

No need to say sorry - IG did what she thought was in the best interest of India after Sri Lankan support to Chinese in 1962 and Pakistan in 1971.

Does the US go about saying sorry to the innumerable banana republics it had created or closer home has Pakistan said sorry to the Afghans foer creating the Taliban.?

I don’t won’t any keyboard fight here

Main purpose of publishing the news item was its related to national security of my country Sri Lanka, my friends should know this.
i'm sorry that my country people mobbed you.but its very new experience for u coz u r an outsider.this crab mentality nust be new amazing experience to u from indians.

What is wrong with you? Are you not happy until you bring China into every tiffle you have?

I hear you! But let's not feed this tendency to bring in irrelevant issues here. In Karthic's excitement I think he forgot to read my earlier post in full. Specifically this part:

India sheltered terrorists from another country and then refused their own government access to them.

So please, Karthic, no more off topic deflections. There are dozens if not hundreds of threads where the issue you are trying to use to defocus this discussion can be more appropriately raised.

Was the LTTE a declared terrorist organization when this happened? If so, this is a pretty strong statement; that India sheltered terrorists from another country and then refused their own government access to them.

Et tu TL? What part of "LTTE cadres & their Indian companions held in India under arms smuggling charges" did you confuse with "India sheltering terrorists"?
Comprehension problem or wilful (mis)interpretation?

This thread is full of malarkey with people blatantly misinterpreting the cables- people with sinister motives or those with clear comprehension problems.

Clearly the cables showed GoI's concerns about Tamil civilians' fate during the final push by SL army. And many a dimwits here are getting carried away, emotionally, by false interpretation of the report. Geez, with reporters of such half assed caliber, no wonder people are being misled.

What is wrong with you? Are you not happy until you bring China into every tiffle you have?

I hear you! But let's not feed this tendency to bring in irrelevant issues here. In Karthic's excitement I think he forgot to read my earlier post in full. Specifically this part:

India sheltered terrorists from another country and then refused their own government access to them.

So please, Karthic, no more off topic deflections. There are dozens if not hundreds of threads where the issue you are trying to use to defocus this discussion can be more appropriately raised.

How was that offtopic ?? :what:

I just gave an analogy that every nation does what it thinks is in the best interests of it and put a question inside that while China doing the same thing is left off, it is India's action that is micro-analysed.

Anyway the GoI is dependent on DMK's support and any access given to the Sri Lankans will be seen as 'sellout' to a nation that was actively persecuting its ethnic Tamil minority ; a nation that was indulging in whole-sale war crimes and would have elicited a huge backlash in Tamil Nadu which in turn could have collapsed the Govt in the centre.

Now no party likes to loose its power ...Do they ? :azn:

"LTTE cadres and their Indian companions " suggests that there is a difference between the LTTE cadres and the Indians with them. In other words, the LTTE cadres are actually Sri Lankan nationals. And if these Sri Lankan nationals are gun running members of a declared terrorist organization, why should India hold onto them when Sri Lanka wants them back?

I don't think there is any misinterpretation here at all. Quite plain and simple. VERBATIM from the report:

"New Delhi declined Sri Lanka access to those LTTE cadres"

"LTTE cadres and their Indian companions " suggests that there is a difference between the LTTE cadres and the Indians with them. In other words, the LTTE cadres are actually Sri Lankan nationals. And if these Sri Lankan nationals are gun running members of a declared terrorist organization, why should India hold onto them when Sri Lanka wants them back?

I don't think there is any misinterpretation here at all. Quite plain and simple. VERBATIM from the report:

There are lakhs of Tamil Refugees arriving from Lanka who have registered themselves in India and most have them have Indian identification and Ration cards making them de-facto Indian citizens and hence so the GoI's refusal and a good decision at that considering the plight of the surrendering LTTE cadres at the hands of the SL Army.

How was that offtopic ?? :what:

I just gave an analogy that every nation does what it thinks is in the best interests of it and put a question inside that while China doing the same thing is left off, it is India's action that is micro-analysed.

Hopefully, in your regular interactions on this forum, you have discovered that bringing India, Pakistan or China into an unrelated thread is not merely an "analogy", it is a sure fire way of defocussing from the core issue at hand. So, yes, the reference you used was entirely off topic for the purposes of this discussion, which is only concerned with India and Sri Lanka.

Anyway the GoI is dependent on DMK's support and any access given to the Sri Lankans will be seen as 'sellout' to a nation that was actively persecuting its ethnic Tamil minority ; a nation that was indulging in whole-sale war crimes and would have elicited a huge backlash in Tamil Nadu which in turn could have collapsed the Govt in the centre.
Now no party likes to loose its power ...Do they ? :azn:

I am not sure what the implication is here, but if you are suggesting that your argument makes it ok for the GoI to harbor members of a declared terrorist outfit who are foreign nationals and are being recalled by their own government, then NO, this is not ok.

Also, "whole sale war crimes" is an interesting way to put it. This, like most other complex situations, is a story with two sides, so let's not sell our opinions as facts. You may have an affinity with Tamils and may hold this opinion, but not everyone does.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

There are lakhs of Tamil Refugees arriving from Lanka who have registered themselves in India and most have them have Indian identification and Ration cards making them de-facto Indian citizens and hence so the GoI's refusal and a good decision at that considering the plight of the surrendering LTTE cadres at the hands of the SL Army.

Are you saying that the GOI was granting both citizenship AND amnesty to fleeing members of the LTTE terrorist outfit?

@techlahore
New delhi declined srilankans' access to those ltte cadres who were arrested in india for drug smuggling charges.If we were sheltering them there would have been no arrests or news about arrests!In fact that crack down was big news here in south indian media and even a guy from my town who supplied medicines to ltte was arrested and still in prison.

@techlahore
New delhi declined srilankans' access to those ltte cadres who were arrested in india for drug smuggling chargesIf we were sheltering them there would have been no arrests or news about arrests!In fact that crack down was big news here in south indian media and even a guy from my town who supplied medicines to ltte was arrested and still in prison.

Doesn't make ANY sense. They are Sri Lankans. They are wanted on terrorism charges and their Government is asking for access to their OWN citizens. And you are denying Sri Lanka access to their own nationals - designated terrorists - on the pretext of some smuggling charges?? Please think about what you are saying...

Here's the thing- gun running crimes committed in India, under the jurisdiction of Indian laws, criminals sentenced by laws under Indian jurisdiction. Why then should India provide access to SL team?

[Mod edit: please discuss off-topic items in the relevant threads. See my note to Karthic above. You are welcome to talk about all the other countries you want, but not here... let's keep this on topic please. ]

Btw, there is no extradiction treaty with SL.

Here's the thing- gun running crimes committed in India, under the jurisdiction of Indian laws, criminals sentenced by laws under Indian jurisdiction. Why then should India provide access to SL team?

If it wants to shelter Sri Lankan LTTE terrorists then I guess it shouldn't. And it apparently didn't. As this report suggests. No disagreement there.

There are actually some senior Tamil politicians who openly support LTTE too. It is just their ideology. These guys will be constantly behind bars and will come out to again talk on this issue. What they failed to notice was, the people didn't really care about it, selfish as they were. The only way to gain support was to do something tangible for the people. Not for the neighboring Lanka.

Back
Top Bottom