What's new

Why Are More Pakistanis Happier Than Indians or Chinese?

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
You wouldn't know from the headlines what Gallup global poll on wellbeing found through its recent survey: More Pakistanis say they are thriving than do Indians or Chinese.

The results of the 2010 global wellbeing survey of 124 nations conducted by Gallup reveal that Pakistan ranks 40th with 32% of Pakistanis saying they are thriving. By contrast, India ranks 71st with 21% of the Indians thriving and China ranks 92nd with only 12% of the Chinese considering themselves “thriving,” the highest level of wellbeing.

The only tangible explanation for Pakistanis ranking ahead of their neighbors in the wellbeing Gallup survey can be found in the strength of Pakistan's rural economy. It is being spurred by the higher food and commodity prices resulting in the transfer of additional new tax-free farm income of about Rs. 300 billion in the current fiscal year alone to Pakistan's ruling party's power base of landowners in small towns and villages in Southern Punjab and Rural Sindh, from those working in the the economically stagnant urban industrial and service sectors who pay bulk of the taxes. The downside of it is a bigger hole in Pakistan's pubic finances which is being funded with increased foreign aid and loans.

Moazzam Husain, the Director General of the Punjab Board of Investment and Trade, describes the current rural resurgence as follows in a recent blog post titled "The Other Pakistan":

"GLORIOUS countryside lies between Rahim Yar Khan and Bahawalpur. Travelling across six districts in Punjab, before a blazing summer sets in, I experienced endless fields of wheat waiting to turn golden, of freshly harvested mustard, acres of ripe sugarcane and sprawling mango orchards.

Far from the drudge and gloom of metropolitan Pakistan, economic privation, traffic snarls, extreme religion and the cricket World Cup agony, this is another Pakistan. Over a quarter of a century after the green revolution ended the rural economy is back in boom, this time on the back of rising prices. The feel-good factor is all around.

Burgeoning commodity prices are churning unprecedented amounts of cash through the farm sector. I pass tractor-pulled trolleys laden with sugarcane waiting outside sugar mills. The crushing season is in full swing. Meanwhile, the flour mills are still grinding away at last year’s surplus crop. This is an agro economy at serious work.

Alongside the cash economy, the place is also brimming with ideas, and with an entrepreneurial spirit. A young man I meet at Rahim Yar Khan’s chamber of commerce has an IT degree and owns an ice cream distribution business spawning an elaborate cold chain across three districts. He tells me that sales are surging because rural society is transitioning to modern desserts which are now more affordable than traditional sweets like mithai and khoya.

Meanwhile, he’s toying with the bigger vision of an electronic marketplace for agricultural produce. Live connectivity to grain mandis and markets for fresh produce and milk will empower farmers to obtain prices online and through their cellphones. He wants to materialise this and wants tips. I give him my two cents worth: study similar models, write a concept paper, galvanise partners around it, put in seed money and get the venture to mezzanine level."

In 2008, the government pushed the procurement price of wheat up from Rs. 625 per 40 kg to Rs. 950 per 40 kg. This action immediately triggered inflationary pressures that have continued to persist as food accounts for just over 40% of Pakistan's consumer price index. According to State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) analysis, cumulative price of wheat surged by 120 per cent since 2008, far higher than the 40 per cent between 2003 and 2007. it is also many times greater than the international market price increase of 22 per cent for wheat in the same period. Similarly, sugar prices have surged 184 per cent higher since 2008, compared with 46 per cent increase during 2003-07.

The steps such as the transfer of additional Rs. 300 billion to Pakistan's agriculture sector during the current fiscal year 2010-2011 by higher prices of agriculture produce and direct flood compensation to 1.6 million affected families at the rate of one hundred thousands rupees each are boosting economic confidence in the countryside. This infusion of money is also generating rural demand for consumer items including consumer durables such as fans, TVs, motorcycles, cars, refrigerators, etc.

Haq's Musings: Poll Finds Pakistanis Happier Than Neighbors

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Rural Economy Showing Strength

this thread is speaking simple economics. increase in food price sends money to rural economy. also the article doesnt say anything about india or china... who so every does it next, will be suspended without warning.

question the sample if you are very clever. but if u believe that this sample is not a gud way of knowing ground realities, then the same is true for any other indicator be it corruption, business environment etc.... majority of the word rankings are based on some normally distributed sample.

this thread is speaking simple economics. increase in food price sends money to rural economy. also the article doesnt say anything about india or china... who so every does it next, will be suspended without warning.

Well, I know what you mean but the thread title itself has "India" and "China" in it so maybe change the title back to the original title of the article?

Well, I know what you mean but the thread title itself has "India" and "China" in it so maybe change the title back to the original title of the article?

it doesnt matter.. there is no mentioning of india and china in the main article. also the title seems reasonable.

everyone need to be more mature

Furthermore:

- Wasn't this already posted and discussed?
- And I thought blogs weren't allowed?

it doesnt matter.. there is no mentioning of india and china in the main article. also the title seems reasonable.

everyone need to be more mature

Sorry for being pedantic here:

First line of the article:

You wouldn't know from the headlines what Gallup global poll on wellbeing found through its recent survey: More Pakistanis say they are thriving than do Indians or Chinese.

everyone needs to be more mature

Agreed!

the possible logic behind the results was not discussed.

blogs are allowed, given that the poster is not trying to spam

also that line which you r talking about is only raising a question and not provoking anyone in anyway.

im done with this discussion now. ask me in person if u have any question. this is a thread on a specific topic.

thanks

well, I think as the article says: HAPPIER. It may be because we are not prosperous but thankful to GOD of what we have. . .

Why Are More Pakistanis Happier Than Indians or Chinese?

Hmm.. well if this survey is indeed true then i think the reason why Pakistanis are more happy than Indians is because they are contented with thier lives and do not dream much. Whereas we Indians are very very ambitious in our lives. Ask any Indian what he wants to become and he will tell you he wants to become a hero, a next tycoon.

Indians and Pakistanis, only when it comes to each other, seem to become idiots -- The "prickly Indian" types are upset that Pakistanis are happier, why this should matter to them and cause them such heartburn is well...just plain stupid --- And the Pakistanis to whom them being happy means that the Indian must be not just be sad but some psychotic depressed individual --

All this poll is, is a snap shot, one fleeting moment, understood as a reflection of the rural economy doing well

And for one small snap shot to elicit such negatives - well, I'm on the side of the mods, if people cannot be sane and reasonable, their posts will only pollute and if such behavior continues perhaps we should just do without these persons.

I have personally seen the emerging signs of prosperity in rural Pakistan - a lot of rural households have many of the facilities of the urban middle class, which is excellent - because most of the poverty is in rural area's.:yahoo:

i dont agree on this article.No body can guess happiness through survey on 1000 ppl.
and regarding to pakistan,even we r not happy by their condition,how would they be???
article shud be trashed

IMO - it is not the job of foreigners to tell us if we are happy or not - our rural economy is booming.

SINGAPORE (Dow Jones)--Asia's immediate wheat demand is being met by ample supply from Pakistan, which is exporting existing inventories to make way for the new harvest, trading executives said Monday.

"Pakistan has filled a crucial gap in Asian wheat trade due to the absence of supply from the Black Sea region," said a Singapore-based executive with a global trading company.

If Pakistan hadn't permitted wheat exports during this period of tight overall global supply, price conscious buyers in South Asia and Southeast Asia would have had to turn to costly alternative supply from Canada, the U.S. and Europe.

The International Grains Council has projected Pakistan's wheat exports in the year ending June 30 at 1.6 million tons, the highest in at least four years.

Close to 1 million tons of Pakistan's wheat has been exported in bulk shipments and 160,000 tons in containers, said Muhammed Najib Balagamwalla, chairman of the Seatrade Group, a Karachi-based commodities trading company.

Bangladesh has emerged as the major buyer of Pakistan's wheat, purchasing more than 700,000 tons from the south Asian country, traders said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110418-703894.html

IMO - it is not the job of foreigners to tell us if we are happy or not - our rural economy is booming.

SINGAPORE (Dow Jones)--Asia's immediate wheat demand is being met by ample supply from Pakistan, which is exporting existing inventories to make way for the new harvest, trading executives said Monday.

"Pakistan has filled a crucial gap in Asian wheat trade due to the absence of supply from the Black Sea region," said a Singapore-based executive with a global trading company.

If Pakistan hadn't permitted wheat exports during this period of tight overall global supply, price conscious buyers in South Asia and Southeast Asia would have had to turn to costly alternative supply from Canada, the U.S. and Europe.

The International Grains Council has projected Pakistan's wheat exports in the year ending June 30 at 1.6 million tons, the highest in at least four years.

Close to 1 million tons of Pakistan's wheat has been exported in bulk shipments and 160,000 tons in containers, said Muhammed Najib Balagamwalla, chairman of the Seatrade Group, a Karachi-based commodities trading company.

Bangladesh has emerged as the major buyer of Pakistan's wheat, purchasing more than 700,000 tons from the south Asian country, traders said.

Asia Grain Outlook: Pakistan Keeps Wheat Supply Pipeline Running - WSJ.com

If you look at the production of rice, wheat, cotton, barley milk and meat we are in the top countries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom