What's new

when rickshaws turn jihad against india

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackyy

BANNED
Reaction score
Popular art forms reflect subaltern expressions. Pakistan’s truck art is a case in point. The auto rickshaws have for decades displayed the imaginations and aspirations of ‘common’ folks. Rickshaw art also manifests our long art traditions, rooted in the daily life, a way for the underdogs to converse with urban elites. Rickshaw poetry has been recognised as a genre in its own. Take for example, ‘Maa ki dua, janat ki hawa’ (A mother’s prayer is a breeze from heavens) or Pappu yaar tang na kar, almost impossible to translate but equivalent of advising on taking a chill-pill. Drawings, posters and artwork on rickshaws, as political commentary (on inequality, heartless city life etc) have been flourishing for years.
On our highways, the truckers have been glorifying Gen Ayub Khan (1958-69), Pakistan’s first military dictator and a few politicians. Popular art has also challenged orthodoxy by drawing the legendary Buraaq (an angel) and several Sufi saints and their miracles. Traditionally, the auto rickshaws were useful vehicles of party propaganda during election times with little loud speakers. However, the rickshaw owners would return to their original passions — love poetry that bemoaned a heartless beloved, wisecracks and of course, secular expressions of angst. During the last decade, Lahore’s rickshaws, not unlike the country, are undergoing a not-so-subtle metamorphosis.
First came the aggressive marketing of religious congregations. Advertising for private tuition centres and faith healers followed. In the recent months, this space has been appropriated by the messages of the Pakistan Defence Council. This coalition of rightwing extremism, articulating an anti-India and hate-America agenda has been rather inventive. Countless rickshaws in Lahore and its surrounding areas advertise the burnt bodies of Gujarat and Samjhauta express victims. The common slogan loosely related is: “There can be only one kind of relationship with India (Bharat); based on hatred and seeking revenge” via jihad. India’s alleged theft of our waters is also highlighted ad nauseam.
During 2011, these messages have been flashing across Lahore. This sort of campaign is obviously ‘sponsored’ and those behind it are too powerful for any authority to take note of. The political party, which rules Lahore, entered into a historic agreement with India’s Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee in 1999 and is committed to peace with India. The federal coalition comprising the PPP, the ANP and the MQM are all in favour of establishing peaceful relations with India and advancing the trade agenda. In fact, the ANP and the MQM have been accused of being soft on India and their party leaders’ statements have been called into question by the hyper-nationalists.
If almost all of people’s representatives in parliament do not agree with the shenanigans of the PDC which some call a proxy of Pakistan’s de facto rulers — the various arms of the ‘Deep State’ then why are they not countering this onslaught of propaganda that gets into popular domain via live transmission of PDC rallies, through popular art and even social media? How much can civil society — that is afraid of extremists — do when those enjoying power at the centre and provinces are not willing to stick their necks out?
Why is the Lahore city administration not taking note of these vile messages? Some of the images are visually disturbing for children who are frequent users. Is there no other way to articulate our concern for water scarcity and ‘war’ with India? Extremism is slowly destroying the culture Lahore was once proud of.
Newer and popular expressions of jihadi ideology are impositions from the above and do not reflect the imaginations of the artists and drivers. Our public spaces are turning into haunting grounds of militaristic might and jihadi discourse. Challenging it is the first step towards changing our country.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 26th, 2012.

I just feel sad for them. For not being able to lead a simple , happy and carefree life like a middle/lower middle class person would in India. They are entangled in this web of hate and consumed by it.

these vehicles are easy way to propagate messages to people and as mentioned,hypernationalist are getting control

I just feel sad for them. For not being able to lead a simple , happy and carefree life like a middle/lower middle class person would in India. They are entangled in this web of hate and consumed by it.
Happiness and being carefree are hardly reasons to value life over death.

You shouldn't feel sad for them. At least they are not driving the cycle rickshaws on the streets of their Capital.......not the mention the quality of life enjoyed by the millions of cycle rickshaw drivers......happy and carefree life.....:lol:

You shouldn't feel sad for them. At least they are not driving the cycle rickshaws on the streets of their Capital.......not the mention the quality of life enjoyed by the millions of cycle rickshaw drivers......happy and carefree life.....:lol:

what quality of life are u talking about? have u personally compared quality of life between a Pakistani and Indian rickshaw driver?

what quality of life are u talking about? have u personally compared quality of life between a Pakistani and Indian rickshaw driver?

I am talking about the quality of life enjoyed by the cycle rickshaw drivers in India and the motorcycle rickshaw drivers in Pakistan. Believe me in Pakistan there are no cycle rickshaws. So now you can compare the quality of life between them.........

I am talking about the quality of life enjoyed by the cycle rickshaw drivers in India and the motorcycle rickshaw drivers in Pakistan. Believe me in Pakistan there are no cycle rickshaws. So now you can compare the quality of life between them.........

Pakistani logic ... comparing apples with oranges so proudly .

Pakistani logic ... comparing apples with oranges so proudly .
This may be your perception. I wish you could come to Pakistan and i could go to India. We could have sit together and witness the realities on both sides.

So much for the peace initiative. I am not surprised since the nation was built on the pillars of hatred towards Dharmic faiths..:coffee:

That is why a Hindu presided over Pakistan's first constituent assembly, and later become the first law and labor minister of Pakistan.

That is why millions of Bengali Hindu's chose Pakistan under Jogerndranath Mandal.

It wasn't the Muslim League which created and funded parties of hatred like Majlie-e-Ahrar.

Better recap your history, don't know what you have been reading. :coffee:

well coming to india will be expensive....use this wonderful thing called the internet...a simple googling "pakistani cycel rickshaw" would give you names of manufacturers like "Murshid Farm industires" that manufacture rickshaws...obviously for a market...or are they just filling up your museums of antiques?
Quit trying to prove how you are living the "Pakistani dream" everytime something is being discussed...most of what you consume is sources somewhere down the line from either india or china...if you feel differently try talking your policy makers into opening bilateral trade with us...and we shall see...both the future and how it is carried forward on tanks or on cycle rickshaws...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom