What's new

Whatever

@Armstrong @Azlan Haider

what's up :)

As a matter of fact she did tell me that ! :ashamed:

So far as throwing future generations into the abyss is concerned - Its not gonna happen; we are what we make ourselves to be and no notions of a romanticized past (whether true or not) is going to propel us forward or keep us shackled to the ground because we are the sum of our choices....nothing more....nothing less.

Besides if you give anthropology a cursory look (and you should....its very..very interesting) you'd realize that these Ethnicities, these Linguistic Groups, these Cultures etc. are an artificial construct - We made them up ! So whereas its understandable to like what you made and feel proud of that, I'm certainly not going to let that pride give way to Nationhood on the basis of Us vs Them as almost every other Nation does because the very idea of Nationhood is based on Exclusivity - Hummm Jaiseee Koi Nahin....we're Punjabis, we're Tamils, we're Kashmiris, we're Bengalis and so on and so forth.

Then theres the thing that if all of these divisions are artificial constructs (as they most certainly are), where they heck do we draw the line ?

Where do we say that after 'this' point in time the Punjabi People were created and this where I'm gonna start the Story of my Nation from ?

And why at that date ? Why not the one before it or the one after it ?

And why the Punjabis mind you when both History and Anthropology tell us that before the Punjabis some other Race of People inhabited these lands ! We may not know what they were called but Mother Nature didn't divulge out a Perfect specimen of a Punjabi from her bosom for all to behold; the Punjabis were born out of another group of People who inhabited these lands over the years who in turn were born out of another group of people and they another leading back to the Caveman as our Ancestor !

I just find this irrational...thats all !

I agree with everything you say! A lot of it is what I believe too.

I wish I could give you a thousand positive ratings :D

@Armstrong I believe in forging my individual identity and being proud of my personal achievements.

I think taking pride of what my Hindu ancestors did, or didn't do as they were individuals in their own right.

It seems that I am leeching off of their achievements to get a semblance of self-esteem for myself.

Last edited:
What ! :o:

That is so.....so unfortunate, disrespecting the Father of One's Nation - That is so wrong !

Not uncommon. I divide them into three camps.

Ambedkarite Dalits who viewed Gandhi as a patronising towards Dalits. He wanted the caste system to continue.

Indians who wanted India to be a modern nation. Along them lines of Tagore. They viewed Gandhi's asceticism, his superstitous beliefs and eschewing of modern amenities as foolish.

Then there is the Hindu Far Right. Views him as everything that was wrong with Hindus. Weak and masochistic.

Jawaharlal Nehru, Mahatma Gandhi has taken a massive hit in the current Indian Pantheon among the Indian Youth.

Instead, Sardar Vallabhai Patel, Ambedkar (particularly among Dalits) and others have grown in popularity.

@Ravi Nair ....... Nothing much ......Same old boring routine :(

:( aww man.

Currently I am reading about Indian Independence era other than the major leaders.

Guys like Periyar in Tamil Nadu. These guys had some wacky ideas.

Ambedkarite Dalits who viewed Gandhi as a patronising towards Dalits. He wanted the caste system to continue.

Indians who wanted India to be a modern nation. Along them lines of Tagore. They viewed Gandhi's asceticism, his superstitous beliefs and eschewing of modern amenities as foolish.

Then there is the Hindu Far Right. Views him as everything that was wrong with Hindus. Weak and masochistic.

Jawaharlal Nehru, Mahatma Gandhi has taken a massive hit in the current Indian Pantheon among the Indian Youth.

Instead, Sardar Vallabhai Patel, Ambedkar (particularly among Dalits) and others have grown in popularity.

Currently I am reading about Indian Independence era other than the major leaders.

We have a tendency to criticize everyone. So what if he's Father of the Nation. I like it that way though. This includes criticism of me as well :angel:

We have a tendency to criticize everyone. So what if he's Father of the Nation. I like it that way though. This includes criticism of me as well :angel:

Have you read Pakistan and Partition and what Ambedkar and what Ambedkar had to say about Muslims?

let's just say that he will be branded a member of the VHP now.

I can give you the quotation in BIMARU corner

tell me more.. about periyar..

@Ravi Nair ....... Nothing much ......Same old boring routine :(
how are you comrade... ..

Have you read Pakistan and Partition and what Ambedkar and what Ambedkar had to say about Muslims?

let's just say that he will be branded a member of the VHP now.

I can give you the quotation in BIMARU corner
I know. I read his statements regarding that. Life indeed is strange :)

And please don't quote. :angel:

@RAMPAGE .. kya kar raha hai

I know nothing about him.. I only heard his name .

He was a very controversial figure in Tamil Nadu.

First, the controversies. He was very Anti-Brahmanical. He was against the caste system whilst making many vitriolic speeches against Brahmins. He wanted South India to secede when India got Independence and wanted to have Dravida Nadu. Indulged in Aryan-Dravidian politics.

He was not an Atheist, but was a rationalist and made inflammatory speeches against religion and supported nationalism. Many times he engaged in Linguistic and Racial politics.

Now to get to the things I agree with him on.

He was a supporter of Women's rights. He believed Women had the same rights to their sexuality as Men did. Same rights to marriage. Right to divorce.

Their right to enter armed forces, encourage sports and equal right to work and earn a living.

He believed for a nation to be strong, it's roots must be founded in rationality and in the rights of Women. In the 1950's, he advocated for Birth Control for Women.

The two parties in Tamil Nadu, DMK and AIADMK took root from his philosophy.

His pitfalls were his racial politics whch Tamil Nadu is still hostage today, and caste politics is still prevalent, despite his efforts.

He was a very controversial figure in Tamil Nadu.

First, the controversies. He was very Anti-Brahmanical. He was against the caste system whilst making many vitriolic speeches against Brahmins. He wanted South India to secede when India got Independence and wanted to have Dravida Nadu. Indulged in Aryan-Dravidian politics.

He was not an Atheist, but was a rationalist and made inflammatory speeches against religion and supported nationalism. Many times he engaged in Linguistic and Racial politics.

Now to get to the things I agree with him on.

He was a supporter of Women's rights. He believed Women had the same rights to their sexuality as Men did. Same rights to marriage. Right to divorce.

Their right to enter armed forces, encourage sports and equal right to work and earn a living.

He believed for a nation to be strong, it's roots must be founded in rationality and in the rights of Women. In the 1950's, he advocated for Birth Control for Women.

The two parties in Tamil Nadu, DMK and AIADMK took root from his philosophy.

His pitfalls were his racial politics whch Tamil Nadu is still hostage today, and caste politics is still prevalent, despite his efforts.
hmm.. interesting person. was he from lower caste background like ambedkar?
I think tamilnadu politics is unique in India currently, not sure how much is due to him.

hmm.. interesting person. was he from lower caste background like ambedkar?
I think tamilnadu politics is unique in India currently, not sure how much is due to him.

I would argue that the whole Dravidian politics Phenomena was started by him. He was at the forefront of Anti-Hindi agitation when a move was made to make Hindi the national language.

He is a Naicker. Definitely upper caste.

@hinduguy

You have to remeber, Jayalalitha's party and Karunanidi's party are descended from the ideological fountainhead of Periyar.

South India was also able to produce many rationalists. Too bad, none of them made much of a bigger impact.

Back
Top Bottom