What's new

What is the Best Capital City of South Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ thats Delhi

not New Delhi

Chandigarh is cleaner than average Indian cities, but not as clean as Islamabad. Even though Chandigarh is better in traffic than other Indian cities, there are much more traffic problems in Chandigarh than Islamabad (there is a free flow of traffic, & absolutely NO traffic problems in Islamabad at all. Driving is indeed a pleasure in Islamabad), narrower roads than Islamabad. I've been there, I know. There is no equal to Islamabad. There are no electricity problems in Islamabad.

The cost of living in Chandigarh is also 28% more expensive than Islamabad.

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/islamabad/chandigarh

If you want to see true Punjabi historic & Mughal culture, go to Lahore. If you want to see a cosmopolitan city like Bombay with a huge population & extreme diversity, go to Karachi. If you want to see the ancient Silk route, travel the Karokoram Highway, highest paved international road in the world. If you want to travel South Asia's oldest & longest road, travel the Grand Truck Road in Pakistan. If you want to see the richest salt fields in the world, go to the Salt Ranges in Khewra, & other nearby areas. If you want to see the 2nd largest dam in the world, go see Tarbela Dam. If you want to see the 2nd largest mine, the 5th largest gold mine, the 5th largest coal reserves & the 7th largest copper mine in the world, go to Balochistan & KPK.

If you want to see a true Pakhtun city with ancient history, go to Peshawar & Quetta, if you want to see pagan/non-Muslim culture & drink amazing natural wine, go to Kalasha Valley & the surrounding areas; if you want to see some Tajiks & Tajik culture, go to Chitral; if you want to see the best polo matches, go to Hunza, if you want to climb the K-2 & visit the world class Shangrila Hotel, go to Skardu, if you want to see Persian culture, go to Taftan; if you want to see amazing landscapes, go to Balochistan; if you want to see an amazing sea port with amazing development everyday & the future of Pakistan, go to Gwadar. If you want to see the Hindu culture in Pakistan, ancient Mandirs, go to Sind; if you want to see ancient Gurdwaras, go to Punjab. Each city serves its own purpose, & Islamabad serves its own.

If you want to see superb infrastructure, a truly world class city, go to Islamabad. It has everything: arts & music, culture (Saidpur Village), history (Taxila. Older than history of Delhi I bet), Jinnah Stadium (has held many international events), mountains (Pirsohawa, Daman-e-Koh, Shakarparian, Margalla Hills) & trekking, no electricity/ulitilities problems, traditional & western cuisine, couple of bars, theater, colleges/universities; no rickshaws, traffic or pollution, amazing parks & greenry. It also has amazing Churches, Masjids, Shrines, Gurdwaras, & other places of worship, just like Lahore & Karachi. A decent city population (about 1.21 million), so not a dead city. Ideal location from other big cities: 4 hours from Lahore, 3 hours from Peshawar, 2-3 hours from Kashmir, close enough to north Pakistan (K2, Nanga Parbat & other tallest mountain ranges in the world).

world class metro facility... (New Delhi)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mumbai among world's top ten billionaire cities: Forbes
PTI,Mar 11, 2010, 09.12pm IST
Tags:
Mumbai ranks 7th with largest number of billionaires

Mumbai among world's top ten billionaire cities: Forbes | TradingMarkets.com
* Mumbai|
* Mukesh Ambani

NEW YORK: Mumbai has been named among the world's top ten billionaire cities, as it is home to as many as 20 of the richest Indians, according to a list compiled by the Forbes magazine.

Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani, ranked as the richest Indian in the world with a fortune of USD 29 billion, resides in Mumbai along with 19 other billionaires who have been named in the Forbes list.

The list of billionaire cities is topped by New York as it is home to as many as 60 richie rich persons. The wealthiest person living in New York is its mayor and media baron Michael Bloomberg, with a networth of USD 18 billion.

Other billionaires residing in the Big Apple include Ralph Lauren, Carl Icahn, Rupert Murdoch and Mortimer Zuckerman.

The Russian capital Moscow, home 50 billionaires, comes second in the list.

Other top ten cities are London at the third place with 32 billionaires, Turkish capital Istanbul (4th) , Los Angeles (5th), Hong Kong (6th), Mumbai (7th) and Dallas (8th).

Other notable billionaires residing in Mumbai include Anil Ambani, Shashi & Ravi Ruia, Kumarmangalam Birla and Pallonji Mistry.

San Francisco and Tokyo are the 9th and 10th places, respectively.

This year as 11 countries have at least doubled the number of billionaires they had a year ago, including China, India, Turkey and South Korea. India boasts of 50 billionaires in this year's list as against just 24 last year.

A lot of Indians have this misconception about a lot of people of Indian origin. Pallonji Mistry is neither an Indian nor does he live in India. He has been residing in Ireland for a long time, and a few years ago became Irish citizen as well, and no more an Indian citizen.

@Zaki, Capital of India is New Delhi, not Delhi ;-)

As has been said before, Islamabad doesn't need a metro. But maybe cities like Karachi or Lahore do. So the metro is the only outstanding thing Delhi has to offer as compared to Islamabad? I'm surprised nobody's talked about the general quality of life of the residents of that particular city.

A lot of Indians have this misconception about a lot of people of Indian origin. Pallonji Mistry is neither an Indian nor does he live in India. He has been residing in Ireland for a long time, and a few years ago became Irish citizen as well, and no more an Indian citizen.

@Zaki, Capital of India is New Delhi, not Delhi ;-)

Congratulations India on having the most number of billionaires. And I mean to say this in the least condescending way, but why can't you filter your wealth down better? Despite India's economic boom, 100 million more Indians have fallen below the poverty line since 2004, making the number of people living below the poverty line equal to 410 million. In 2004, the poverty rate of India was 27.4%, and at the end of 2010, the poverty rate of India is 37.2%. These would be pretty worrying statistics if I were an Indian. 37.2% living below the poverty line means almost 2 our of every 5 Indians live below the poverty line. Pretty sad statistics. It just goes to show that 'booming India' only benefits a few people at the expense of the common man. Even Gujarat, known for its entrepreneurship & industries, has lost on an average 4000 jobs a month from 2008 to 2010. Troubling news.

It doesn't matter if you have a higher GDP per capita than Pakistan or any country in the world, if only a few people will have the larger share of the progress, and most of the people will live under poverty. You can have all the skyscrapers, metros, billionaires in the world, but if things remain like this in India, it won't be good for the country. I'm not trying to belittle India, I really want India to progress but 'UNIFORMLY', but you guys must embrace the reality & try to change the situation. Right now, I see no change in India. Rich Indians will be happy as long as their own personal life isn't affected by things. Indians constantly talk about how development is making poverty less, but it is increasing poverty significantly, putting more & more people in it by the day. This goes to show the inherent flaws in the Indian society, & a much much deeper problem than GDP per capita can solve.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...now-living-in-poverty/articleshow/5829267.cms

As has been said before, Islamabad doesn't need a metro. But maybe cities like Karachi or Lahore do. So the metro is the only outstanding thing Delhi has to offer as compared to Islamabad? I'm surprised nobody's talked about the general quality of life of the residents of that particular city.

imgname--mississippi_fighting_stereotypes---50226711--MississippiFighting.jpg

some lusty examples from ISRO ......plz....

Congratulations India on having the most number of billionaires. And I mean to say this in the least condescending way, but why can't you filter your wealth down better? Despite India's economic boom, 100 million more Indians have fallen below the poverty line since 2004, making the number of people living below the poverty line equal to 410 million. In 2004, the poverty rate of India was 27.4%, and at the end of 2010, the poverty rate of India is 37.2%. These would be pretty worrying statistics if I were an Indian. 37.2% living below the poverty line means almost 2 our of every 5 Indians live below the poverty line. Pretty sad statistics. It just goes to show that 'booming India' only benefits a few people at the expense of the common man. Even Gujarat, known for its entrepreneurship & industries, has lost on an average 4000 jobs a month from 2008 to 2010. Troubling news.

It doesn't matter if you have a higher GDP per capita than Pakistan or any country in the world, if only a few people will have the larger share of the progress, and most of the people will live under poverty. You can have all the skyscrapers, metros, billionaires in the world, but if things remain like this in India, it won't be good for the country.

100 million more Indians now living in poverty - The Economic Times

poverty from "new delhi" prespective or from whole india.... [hint : @topic ]

1)first of all we haven't started this thread..
2)we aren't saying we are the developed country.... (even we are behind another developing country china)
3)we r improving day by day (good growth rate, )
4)"Islo" could hv edge over "new delhi" from environmental POV... [new delhi is better from historic n infractures POV]
also i think Islamabad is cleaner in uniform way unlike new delhi.....
5) .....
6)......

bye.:wave:

It doesn't matter if you have a higher GDP per capita than Pakistan or any country in the world, if only a few people will have the larger share of the progress, and most of the people will live under poverty. You can have all the skyscrapers, metros, billionaires in the world, but if things remain like this in India, it won't be good for the country. I'm not trying to belittle India, I really want India to progress but 'UNIFORMLY', but you guys must embrace the reality & try to change the situation. Right now, I see no change in India. Rich Indians will be happy as long as their own personal life isn't affected by things. Indians constantly talk about how development is making poverty less, but it is increasing poverty significantly, putting more & more people in it by the day. This goes to show the inherent flaws in the Indian society, & a much much deeper problem than GDP per capita can solve.

100 million more Indians now living in poverty - The Economic Times

"God forbid that India should ever take to industrialism after the manner of the West. If an entire nation of 300 millions took to similar economic exploitation, it would strip of the world bare like locusts. Unless the capitalists of India help to avert that tragedy by becoming trustees of the welfare of the masses, and by devoting their talents not to amassing wealth for themselves but to the service of the masses in an altruistic spirit, they will end either by destroying the masses or being destroyed by them. "

- Mahatma Gandhi

Just remember, the basic instincts are independent of culture, class, and creed. Pakistani, American, English, Chinese, Indian... they are all same.

we r improving day by day (good growth rate, )

This is the attitude I don't like about Indians. I'm not condescending here, I'm being very sincere here; but how can you say your country is improving day by day, when 100 million more Indians have gone below the poverty line since 2004, in the era of economic development that is!!! You need to address these issues, you can say this isn't my concern, & yes, it isn't mine it's yours. But I'm surprised it isn't concerning you. Just saying we'll take care of it, it's our problem doesn't cut it. And that's how India avoids tackling these problems. Would you want New Delhi to prosper at the expense of the whole country, at the expense of the common man? If your answer is yes, then you love New Delhi my friend, not India. I wish you & India all the best in the future. Hope things actually do improve for the common man. But for that, changes will have to be made. This "development" in "India" will just push more & more Indians below the poverty line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom