What's new

West Bengal corner....

There are many famous Bengalis whom we know.....
There are many famous people whom many don't know as bengalis....for ex. I didn't know that Kumar Sanu is a Bengali...:P

1.Kishore Kumar(Abhas Kumar Ganguly) - legendary playback singer.
2.Manohar Aich - India's first Mr. Universe
3.Kumar Sanu(Kedarnath Bhattacharya) - popular playback singer.
4.S. D. Burman(Sachin Dev Burman) and his son R. D. Burman(Nicknamed Pancham da) - legendary music composers and singers.
5.Pandit Ravi Shankar(Robindro Shaunkor Chowdhury) - legendary Sitar musician and composer.
6.Shaan(Shantanu Mukherjee) - popular singer.

There are many more....add to the list if you know famous people whom we might not know as Bengalis due to their alias.....

There are many famous Bengalis whom we know.....
There are many famous people whom many don't know as bengalis....for ex. I didn't know that Kumar Sanu is a Bengali...:P

1.Kishore Kumar(Abhas Kumar Ganguly) - legendary playback singer.
2.Manohar Aich - India's first Mr. Universe
3.Kumar Sanu(Kedarnath Bhattacharya) - popular playback singer.
4.S. D. Burman(Sachin Dev Burman) and his son R. D. Burman(Nicknamed Pancham da) - legendary music composers and singers.
5.Pandit Ravi Shankar(Robindro Shaunkor Chowdhury) - legendary Sitar musician and composer.
6.Shaan(Shantanu Mukherjee) - popular singer.

There are many more....add to the list if you know famous people whom we might not know as Bengalis due to their alias.....

Nice one :)

Some other interesting facts ---

1) Saif and Soha Ali Khan are Half bengali ---their mother is Sharmila Tagore , famous yesteryear actress

2) Imran Khan ( Bollywood actor ) was called Imran Pal --His Dad Anil Pal works in Silicon Valley , California . He adopted the surname Khan as a tribute to his mum , Nausheed Khan who raised him as a single parent.

3.) Abhishek Bacchan is half Bengali too --his mother is Jaya Bhaduri , a bengali.

4.) Mithun Chakroborty's real name is Gouranga Chakroborty , he is an ex-naxal who returned to the mainstream after his only brother was electrocuted in a freak accident. It involved a grave risk to his life since there was an unwritten law among naxalites , much like the legendary "omerta" of the Italian Mafia , that the naxal -fold is a point of lifetime service or death.

5.) Many contemporary Bollywood actresses are of bengali ethnicity eg. Bipasha basu , Riya and Raima Sen ( grand Daughters of Suchitra Sen ) , Rani Mukherjee , Kajol (who is the former's cousin ) etc etc.

6.) Rakesh Roshan ( Hrithik's father ) is apparently half Bengali.

7.) Among arts and culture Rituparno Ghosh is a well known revivalist of artistic Bengali cinema along with stalwarts like Aparna Sen ---This was during a time when commercial cinema was fast eating into the Tollywood ( Bengali Film industry ) market and Satyajit Ray's classics were beginning to be forgotten.

8.) The First female Wiccan Ipsita Roy Chakraverti who publicly declared herself as a witch ,was of Bengali ethnicity . Following her declaration , massive public backlash followed .Her detractors included the then Bengal CM Jyoti Basu himself.

9.) Famous Bengali literary characters of the last century are Nirad.C Chaudhuri --author of " autobiography of an unknown Indian" and "a passage to England". He was a self confessed anglophile .

10.) Jibonanondo Das is today considered among the foremost poets of Bengal by Bengali and Western experts because of his style of poetry . His most famous piece is --- "Hajaar bochor dhore ami poth hatitechi , Prithibir pothe ......
Singhal Somudro theke nishider ondhokare , moloy sagore ,onek ghurechi

Bimbishar Ashoker dushar jogote , shekhane chilam ami
Aro door ondhokar vidhorbo nogore , ami chlanto pran ek

Charidike jiboner somudro sophem
Amarer du dondo shanti diyechilo natorer Bonolata Sen

Titled as Natorer Bonolata Sen

Translated as

For a thousand years , I've wandered along the paths of this earth.
From the Ceylonese Ocean to the Seas of Malaya , I 've traversed it all.

I ve been to the ashen worlds of Bimbisara and Ashoka , and have gone further
into the darkness of the city of Vidharba .

I am but a weary soul , and as the ocean of life foams and froths around me ,
I have found my moments of peace with Natore's Bonolata Sen .

Other Famous Poets ....some remembered , some forgotten

11.) The epithet Kabi-Guru ( or Poet-Master) was given to Rabindranath Tagore , the first Nobel Laureate in Literature from Bengal.

His most famous poetic Collection is Gitanjali -or song offerings . He wrote other anthologies too like "Crescent Moon "--a collection of poems . He specialized in the art of "Blank Verse" --in poetry.

Personally I find his poem --- Shesher Kobita to be the ultimate . "Kaler Jatrar dwoni sunite ki pao ......."

Other well known bengali poets are

12.) Sarojini Naidu ( She married a hyderabadi Doctor Called Naidu) -- Nicknamed as the Nightingale of India.

13.) Kazi Nazrul Islam --poet , philosopher and exponent of the Nazrul geet style of music.

14.) Toru Dutt --- writer of "Ancient ballads of Hindustan" , "A sheaf gleaned in French Fields " and the poem "Our Casuarina Tree".

She died at 21 --and in her obituary column , a prominent English Newspaper wrote " That had George Elliot Died at the age of 21, she would not have bequeathed us , a richer literary collection than that left behind by erstwhile Toru Dutt ".

15.) Michael Madusudhan Dutt --prominent poet and novelist.

16.) Bankim Chandra Chattopadhay --- writer of Vande\Bande Mataram which today is the Indian National Song. and also AnandMath

17.)Sharath Chandro Chattopadhay -- nicknamed as "Kotha-Shilpi" , a giant in Bengali literature.

18.) In recent times Sunil Gangopadhay comes to the mind - a writer of great repute.

More as soon as I can remember them .................................:)

:agree:....to both of your questions.......they may join if they want....

Regarding the title, you may request mods. to change it acc. to your wish...

To be fair,rename it "Opar Bangla, Epar Bangla".

To be fair,rename it "Opar Bangla, Epar Bangla".

But most of the pdf Bangladeshis says they aren't Bengali but Bangladeshis, most pdf Bangladeshi says being Bengali mean being Hindu and Indian.
mmdr.gif
mmdr.gif

But most of the pdf Bangladeshis says they aren't Bengali but Bangladeshis, most pdf Bangladeshi says being Bengali mean being Hindu and Indian.
mmdr.gif
mmdr.gif
Epar people are overwhelmingly Bengalee Muslims. There are Bengalee Hindus,Chakmas,Santals and others.Altogether we are Bagladeshi. There is no contradiction in being a Muslim and a Bengalee at the same time.

Epar people are overwhelmingly Bengalee Muslims. There are Bengalee Hindus,Chakmas,Santals and others.Altogether we are Bagladeshi. There is no contradiction in being a Muslim and a Bengalee at the same time.

why not use the traditional words ??? Ghoti or Edeshi for West Bengalees and Bangal for East bengalees .

That would be offensive would it not. ? Lets not create artificial divisions , the thread is about Bangla heritage , Culture ,Literature mostly . Lets leave politics out of it as much as possible. We dont want this thread to be another competition between India and Bangladesh .

Else Before you know it, we will have some hot -head or some habitual troll start screaming ---Awami , Dalal and RAW . This is against the spirit of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom