What's new

US to handover a Naval ship ‘BNS Somudro Joy’ to Bangladesh

its not a waste! as we have seen in recent years floods caused by freak weather are becoming more common in the bay of Bengal, a war ship is for deterrence only and maybe SOME disaster management but a patrol vessel with a few weapons and a lot of space could be very useful in these situations.
It makes more sense to me but then again its up to the Bangladeshi government.

For disaster management we have coast guard :coffee:

its not a waste! as we have seen in recent years floods caused by freak weather are becoming more common in the bay of Bengal, a war ship is for deterrence only and maybe SOME disaster management but a patrol vessel with a few weapons and a lot of space could be very useful in these situations.
It makes more sense to me but then again its up to the Bangladeshi government.

Are you serious or you do not possess an assessment power? How on earth this large Frigate, heaviest in the BN, can be used for humanitarian jobs when our coast guard has many smaller ships to do the job. There are also helicopters for doing such jobs.

A frigate is to fight against enemy navy ships. In our case, we have two greedy nearby enemy countries.

This ship could easily be our strongest, given its range and size. why waste it on disaster management.

I still think a true warship like type 051 is more suitable, at least will not be looked so strange as this one with new armament (SSM, CIWS, et al). Unfortunately, type 051 uses steam turbines, and no logistics like it.

c-dd-kotlin-type-051-luda-i.gif

I still think a true warship like type 051 is more suitable, at least will not be looked so strange as this one with new armament (SSM, CIWS, et al). Unfortunately, type 051 uses steam turbines, and no logistics like it.

c-dd-kotlin-type-051-luda-i.gif

Hamilton's size is almost the same as this. In an case, we only buy ships when we get good deals, given our budget and Hamilton for 50-60m sounds like a very good one to me

Hamilton's size is almost the same as this. In an case, we only buy ships when we get good deals, given our budget and Hamilton for 50-60m sounds like a very good one to me
For China-Bangladesh relations, it is not hard to get one for free as at least 7 of them will be retired from PLAN in recent years (4 052C and 3 052D will replace them).
But the only reason the BD Navy does not take it into consideration is because the engine problem. As I know, the BD Navy has not had ships using steam turbines ever since its built.

For China-Bangladesh relations, it is not hard to get one for free as at least 7 of them will be retired from PLAN in recent years (4 052C and 3 052D will replace them).
But the only reason the BD Navy does not take it into consideration is because the engine problem. As I know, the BD Navy has not had ships using steam turbines ever since its built.

what about you brother ? :kiss3: what are you constructing for us ? :D according to AMI international you are building 2 warships for us, do you know anything about this issue ? :)

what about you brother ? :kiss3: what are you constructing for us ? :D according to AMI international you are building 2 warships for us, do you know anything about this issue ? :)

Sorry but all of the information I got are from this forum or BD millitary forum:no:

Are you serious or you do not possess an assessment power? How on earth this large Frigate, heaviest in the BN, can be used for humanitarian jobs when our coast guard has many smaller ships to do the job. There are also helicopters for doing such jobs.

A frigate is to fight against enemy navy ships. In our case, we have two greedy nearby enemy countries.

call your neighbors what you want but this ship if fitted with weapons will only act as a deterrent, a good deterrent, but still only a deterrent.

call your neighbors what you want but this ship if fitted with weapons will only act as a deterrent, a good deterrent, but still only a deterrent.

Just like s.korea's force cannot go against China but can make them think thrice before taking a step.

Just like s.korea's force cannot go against China but can make them think thrice before taking a step.
I think BD is still a long way to get to the level of china vs south korea disparity against India. Most of your vessels are old and you dont have submarine fleet. IN wont wont have to think much before taking a step once order is given by political leadership.

I think BD is still a long way to get to the level of china vs south korea disparity against India. Most of your vessels are old and you dont have submarine fleet. IN wont wont have to think much before taking a step once order is given by political leadership.

Just telling the guy that, maybe one good deterrence ship won't do anything but slowly and surely more will be added, and alot of good deterrence ships is a good fleet

Just telling the guy that, maybe one good deterrence ship won't do anything but slowly and surely more will be added, and alot of good deterrence ships is a good fleet

I would not waste my time with Indians.

They have got it into their heads that BD will always remain a very weak military power.

Historically it is all to do with the fact that BD only gained independence from Pakistan in 1972 and was left with a completely wrecked economy that took decades to recover. BD could have spent more on defence but chose to focus on poverty alleviation and now after 40 years of independence the life expectancy is a few years higher than in India.

For the record, the IMF now predicts that BD GDP will grow slightly faster than India in the next five years.

BD has more scope for increasing it's expenditure on defence as it currently spends only 1.5% as opposed to around 2.5% of GDP that India devotes.

The money is there now if BD wishes to build a credible military over the medium-long term.

Yes, we are after a deterrent navy, a deterrent air force and a deterrent army. What do you want us to induct? A ACC perhaps. But, once we have a good number of frigates, corvettes and submarines, the military will certainly go for Destroyers for the navy. We cannot just build everything in a day.

The country was poor and the past governments were not serious about defense build ups. Even one PM wanted to sell the Mig-29s in the past to other countries.

She will again be the PM and I wonder what she will sell this time that have been bought by the present India-leaning govt?

I would not waste my time with Indians.

They have got it into their heads that BD will always remain a very weak military power.

Historically it is all to do with the fact that BD only gained independence from Pakistan in 1972 and was left with a completely wrecked economy that took decades to recover. BD could have spent more on defence but chose to focus on poverty alleviation and now after 40 years of independence the life expectancy is a few years higher than in India.

For the record, the IMF now predicts that BD GDP will grow slightly faster than India in the next five years.

BD has more scope for increasing it's expenditure on defence as it currently spends only 1.5% as opposed to around 2.5% of GDP that India devotes.

The money is there now if BD wishes to build a credible military over the medium-long term.
Whats India's economy growth? Heard Bangladesh can grow 6-7% for the next few if there is no politocal chaos going on

Yes, we are after a deterrent navy, a deterrent air force and a deterrent army. What do you want us to induct? A ACC perhaps. But, once we have a good number of frigates, corvettes and submarines, the military will certainly go for Destroyers for the navy. We cannot just build everything in a day.

The country was poor and the past governments were not serious about defense build ups. Even one PM wanted to sell the Mig-29s in the past to other countries.

She will again be the PM and I wonder what she will sell this time that have been bought by the present India-leaning govt?

Who is the 'she' you referring to and i dont the part you said India-leaning govt?

Whats India's economy growth? Heard Bangladesh can grow 6-7% for the next few if there is no politocal chaos going on

Who is the 'she' you referring to and i dont the part you said India-leaning govt?

She is her highness gulabi bibi, kha leda.
And India leaning govt AL or india's companion.

Back
Top Bottom