What's new

US & Pakistan Dispute and Tensions over Haqqani group

Mullen blames Pakistan for Haqqani attacks on U.S. troops in Afghanistan
By Kevin Baron
Stars and Stripes
Published: September 22, 2011

WASHINGTON — Pakistan’s intelligence service directly aided the terrorist Haqqani network’s recent wave of attacks against U.S. servicemembers and other targets in Afghanistan, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen said Thursday.

In likely his final appearance before Congress before retiring next week, Mullen delivered an unusually stinging criticism of the government of Pakistan. The U.S. had evidence, he said, that Pakistan supported the massive truck bomb that injured 80 U.S. troops at Combat Outpost Sayed Abad on Sept. 10, as well as last week’s attack on the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, a brazen assault on a Kabul hotel in June and several smaller operations.

“The Haqqani Network, for one, acts as a veritable arm of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence Agency,” Mullen told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday.
While U.S. officials have long said they were concerned about lingering ties between the ISI and the Haqqanis, Mullen never has so bluntly connected the government to attacks on U.S. forces.

Mullen blasted Pakistan’s government for “choosing to use violent extremism as an instrument of policy” and jeopardizing its strategic partnership with the U.S.

“They may believe that by using these proxies they are hedging their bets, or redressing what they feel is an imbalance of regional power,” he said. “But in reality, they have already lost that bet.”

The testimony is a capstone to Mullen’s four year chairmanship, during which he has made two dozen visits to Pakistan in an effort to rebuild military-to-military relations. That effort has come under increasing criticism in the U.S. given Islamabad’s continued unwillingness to fight extremists in the border regions neighboring Afghanistan at a level adequate to American officials.

And though Mullen has worked hard to build an intimate relationship with Pakistani Army Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, the U.S. has long had a volatile relationship with Pakistan’s powerful ISI.

By now, nearly every U.S. security leader has said the war in Afghanistan cannot be won without success against terrorist and safe havens across the border in Pakistan.
But the U.S. has grown increasingly impatient. In July, the U.S. responded to Pakistani criticism of the raid to kill Osama bin Laden by suspending $800 million in aid, over the objections of some defense officials.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Thursday repeated his vow to protect U.S. troops against Haqqani attacks, but refused to reveal to the panel what types operations the U.S. would employ and said he has not told Pakistani officials what the U.S. would do should their inaction continue.

“I haven’t spelled that out for them, but I would be very surprised if they were surprised by what we did to fulfill that commitment.”

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., ranking member on the committee, warned that additional cuts to Pakistan’s aid – which he did not support – could come if the Defense Department doesn’t do more to make its case on Capitol Hill.

“I think you’re going to have a real uphill battle here in convincing the Congress to maintain a level of funding and assistance to Pakistan unless there is some change,” McCain said.

baronk@stripes.osd.mil
Stars and Stripes is a Department of Defense-authorized daily newspaper distributed overseas for the U.S. military community. Editorially independent of interference from outside its own editorial chain-of-command, it provides commercially available U.S. and world news and objective staff-produced stories relevant to the military community in a balanced, fair, and accurate manner. By keeping its audience informed, Stars and Stripes enhances military readiness and better enables U.S. military personnel and their families stationed overseas to exercise their responsibilities of citizenship. (Source: Revised DoD Directive 5122.11)

That's exactly what they want you to do. You were induced from birth to a blind patriotism of the P.A. Yet if you can't be self-critical, how can you improve yourself and your country? Are you that willing to see Pakistan slide into poverty, lawlessness, civil conflict, and external war?

Someone who believes that Iraqis deceived Americans to attack Iraq is lecturing us on blind patriotism.

EPIC! :lol:

How many threads of american lies do you guys need?

I think the problem is that the ruckus over Panetta/Mullen DoD news briefing of 20th sep had not yet died down and they went ahead and accused Pakistan flatly of being in cahoots with terrorists and named the Haqquani group as an arm of ISI while testifying before Senate. Most News media are churning this out as fast as they can with different headings, including Pakistani media... Hence multiple threads getting created i guess..

Lies or Not, well to each his own..

Similar lies like the ones denying OBL presence in Pakistan.. and now the sequel of denying Haqquani presence as well.. May be that will end the same way too ;)

No the lies like Taliban are the enemies and real bad guys while assisting them establishing offices in Qatar :lol:

Pakistan ISI 'exporting violence' to Afghanistan: Admiral Mike Mullen

By Dan De Luce (AFP) – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The US military's top officer bluntly accused Pakistan on Thursday of "exporting" violent extremism to Afghanistan through proxies and warned of possible US action to protect American troops.

In a scathing and unprecedented public condemnation of Pakistan, Admiral Mike Mullen said the country's main intelligence agency ISI was actively supporting Haqqani network militants blamed for an assault on the US embassy in Kabul last week.

The Haqqani network is probably the most dangerous faction in the Afghan Taliban and founded by a CIA asset turned Al-Qaeda ally. During the 1980s, the CIA funneled arms and cash to the Haqqanis to counter Soviet forces.

"The Haqqani Network, for one, acts as a veritable arm of Pakistan?s Inter-Services Intelligence agency," Mullen told the US Senate Armed Services Committee.

Mullen said Haqqani militants -- with ISI backing -- this month carried out a truck bombing on a NATO base in Afghanistan that wounded 77 Americans; assaulted the US embassy and NATO headquarters in the Afghan capital; and in June staged an attack on the InterContinental hotel in Kabul.

The admiral's tough language follows a series of stern warnings from top US officials on Pakistan's failure to crack down on the Haqqani network, raising the possibility of unilateral US action.

"If they keep killing our troops that would not be something we would just sit idly by and watch,"
Mullen said of the Haqqani insurgents.

The Central Intelligence Agency already carries out drone bombing raids on Al-Qaeda and other militants in Pakistan's northwest tribal areas, strikes which US officials do not explicitly acknowledge.

US warnings carry particular weight in the aftermath of the American raid that killed Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden on May 2 in Abbottabad, a unilateral operation that angered and embarrassed Pakistani leaders.

US officials did not alert Islamabad in advance of the nighttime operation by Navy SEAL commandos, fearing that officials might tip off bin Laden's circle.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, appearing at the same Senate hearing, expressed frustration over Haqqani sanctuaries in Pakistan and renewed a vow that the United States would safeguard its troops.

When asked by Senator Carl Levin to elaborate, Panetta declined to say what steps the government might take -- amid speculation the United States might expand drone strikes to a wider area or even stage an operation similar to the Bin Laden raid.

But he said the United States had made clear that it would do whatever is necessary to protect its troops.

"You know I haven't spelled that out for them, but I would be very surprised if they were surprised by what we did to fulfill that commitment," he said.

Panetta said Pakistan needed to take action not only on the Haqqani network but also to cooperate on tracking down prominent extremists identified by Washington and to bolster campaign against militants inside its borders.

Pakistan this week promised action against the Haqqani network if the United States provides sufficient intelligence, but denied that the Al-Qaeda-linked Taliban faction operated on Pakistani soil.

While Pakistan has maintained ties to some militants as a hedge to counter its arch-foe India, the gamble has proved a failure, Mullen said.

Pakistan was jeopardizing its partnership with Washington as well as its regional influence by "choosing to use violent extremism as an instrument of policy," he said.

Mullen added: "By exporting violence, they have eroded their internal security and their position in the region. They have undermined their international credibility and threatened their economic well-being."

In his final appearance before the Senate committee before his term ends this month as chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mullen defended his efforts to build a dialogue with Pakistan's military despite mixed results.

More than a dozen meetings with army chief General Ashfaq Kayani have proved crucial, he said.

"Some may argue I have wasted my time, that Pakistan is no closer to us than before -- and may now have drifted even further away. I disagree," he said.

"Indeed, I think we would be in a far tougher situation today, in the wake of the frostiness which fell over us after the bin Laden raid, were it not for the groundwork General Kayani and I had laid -- were it not for the fact that we could at least have a conversation about the way ahead, however difficult that conversation might be."

AFP: Pakistan ISI 'exporting violence' to Afghanistan: US
here comes another thread on same topic...............how many threads you want to open again and again by different names?

clearly can be seen as much as US going near to defeat in Afghanistan as much as they bashing on pakistan .lolz at the end they will must try to put all of their failure to pakistan and run :lol: it was expected already .you never shear victories they just shear defeats .:sniper::usflag:

How many threads of american lies do you guys need?

Its just reported news also if Mods thinks they can merge it, plz leave it to the Mods.

The thread are not important the news is.

And this is not a statement by any ordinary person its from The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen of USA.

I think the problem is that the ruckus over Panetta/Mullen DoD news briefing of 20th sep had not yet died down and they went ahead and accused Pakistan flatly of being in cahoots with terrorists and named the Haqquani group as an arm of ISI while testifying before Senate. Most News media are churning this out as fast as they can with different headings, including Pakistani media... Hence multiple threads getting created i guess..

Lies or Not, well to each his own..

Karanbhai I was conned by secretary of state collin powell 10 years or so ago when he stood there with fancy pictures taken by satellites to show that Iraq had WMD.

How can we believe anything that comes out of america when we have seen things like that in the past. I mean if they really believe that isi is responsible why are americans still giving aid to pakistan albeit less, having meetings with our army etc You reckon they scared of pakistan :rofl::pakistan:

India knew this since the day Pakistan was born..but world know it since last 10 years and credit goes to United states of America..thanx US for showing true colors of Pakistan to the world :usflag: :usflag:

I fail to see how these matters are topical or relevant.

you know VERY well why i asked, Solomon

you said "why should we be loved" --- and I am asking why you invest so much money into "spreading america's word" on VoA (in how many languages??) and why was your administration so keen to bomb a huge satellite network simply because it showed "the other side" (in Iraq especially,during the invasion phase and the occupation phase)

so i look forward to your response...

India knew this since the day Pakistan was born..but world know it since last 10 years and credit goes to United states of America..thanx US for showing true colors of Pakistan to the world :usflag: :usflag:

And we knew since the day you were born that you are an idiot. Thanks to you for showing it to the world :usflag::usflag:

Neither you nor I are off-topic. The U.S.-Pakistan relationship has degenerated to the point where Pakistan's love for America isn't important; only the services it can provide are. The U.S. Senate wants Pakistan to decide whose bed is more important: the Haqqanis or the Americans. No more sharing the same mistress.

your mattress is a becoming a loose, creacky springs one.

we prefer being on our own char-pai :cheesy:

Karanbhai I was conned by secretary of state collin powell 10 years or so ago when he stood there with fancy pictures taken by satellites to show that Iraq had WMD.

How can we believe anything that comes out of america when we have seen things like that in the past. I mean if they really believe that isi is responsible why are americans still giving aid to pakistan albeit less, having meetings with our army etc You reckon they scared of pakistan :rofl::pakistan:

2 things: :devil::devil:

First, that was Bush era its Obama

Second, Iraq have oil what does the pakistan have ???????????

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom