What's new

US & Pakistan Dispute and Tensions over Haqqani group

Mr Zion lova and pakistani hater you were earlier advocating that pakistanis be pronounced guilty until proven innocents.
You know very well I was advocating that the Pakistani military be assumed guilty until proven innocent. That's because there is no effective check or balance to it in Pakistan. To hide the P.A. behind a shield of civilians - what greater cowardice is there than that?

You know very well I was advocating that the Pakistani military be assumed guilty until proven innocent. That's because there is no effective check or balance to it in Pakistan. To hide the P.A. behind a shield of civilians - what greater cowardice is there than that?

Mr Zion lova and pakistani hater so our pakistani armed forces should be treated as guilty
until proven innocent lol. You know when i see people like you who i know to be our enemies knocking our army even if if i was wavering with my support for pakistani army I would go and stand with them.

Shame this law didnt apply to r davies and the cia.

Keep up the good work after reading your posts we become more pro pakistani army and ISI.

long live pakistan its armed forces and ISI:pakistan:

Some interesting tid bits from the DoD news briefing from the Pentagon a couple days back

Q: After the series of attacks in Kabul, is there any greater U.S. willingness to take unilateral action against the Haqqanis across the border in Pakistan? And if not, what can you do about it?

SEC. PANETTA: Well, I made the point, and I think Mike Mullen has made the same point, that, look, we are going to take whatever steps are necessary to protect our forces. With -- and I’m not going to talk about, you know, particular strategies to, in fact, implement that commitment. But our biggest concern right now is to put as much pressure as possible on the Pakistanis to exercise control from their side of the border. We’ve continued to state that this cannot happen. We cannot have the Haqqanis coming across the border, attacking our forces, attacking Afghanistan -- Afghanistanis and then disappearing back into a safe haven. That is not tolerable.

Q: To go back to -- on the Haqqani, you know, Mr. Secretary, you said that think that the Pakistanis have heard your pleas about what needs to be done inside their borders, and that, Mr. Chairman, you met with Kayani. We’ve heard that for several years now, that we think they’ve heard us, but we want them to do more, and you’ve kept meeting with the general over and over again. Have you been wrong in this strategy of not having a harder fist with them, taking a tougher stand? Is there something else that could have been done that would have made -- have changed this narrative, after all this time?

ADM. MULLEN: I think the substance of the meeting just the other day, as well as the vast majority of meetings that I’ve had with General Kayani, have been to work towards a way that we can sustain the relationship. It’s going to go up and down. We’ve had a very tough patch here over the last several months. I just -- I would want to reassure you that I addressed this issue very strongly with General Kayani the other night, last Friday night, when I met with him. It was the heart of the discussion, that the Haqqani -- the proxy connection to the ISI, the Haqqanis working across border, killing our people, killing Afghans, has to stop.

That’s not a new message, but it’s one that he clearly understands, and I think it’s one we have to keep reiterating.

SEC. PANETTA: The approach has to be for Pakistan to continue to put pressure on them -- continue to put pressure on them. That’s what we’ve been doing over the last few years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t work. But the fact is that the most important thing we can do is keep the pressure on. Obviously, they cooperate with us in some areas. There are other areas where we have disagreements.

Very frankly, terrorism is as much a threat for them as it is for us. And we keep telling them, you can’t choose among terrorists. If you’re -- if you’re against terrorism, you have to be against all forms of terrorism. And that’s something we just have to continue to stress.

Some interesting tid bits from the DoD news briefing from the Pentagon a couple days back

Q: After the series of attacks in Kabul, is there any greater U.S. willingness to take unilateral action against the Haqqanis across the border in Pakistan? And if not, what can you do about it?

SEC. PANETTA: Well, I made the point, and I think Mike Mullen has made the same point, that, look, we are going to take whatever steps are necessary to protect our forces. With -- and I’m not going to talk about, you know, particular strategies to, in fact, implement that commitment. But our biggest concern right now is to put as much pressure as possible on the Pakistanis to exercise control from their side of the border. We’ve continued to state that this cannot happen. We cannot have the Haqqanis coming across the border, attacking our forces, attacking Afghanistan -- Afghanistanis and then disappearing back into a safe haven. That is not tolerable.

Q: To go back to -- on the Haqqani, you know, Mr. Secretary, you said that think that the Pakistanis have heard your pleas about what needs to be done inside their borders, and that, Mr. Chairman, you met with Kayani. We’ve heard that for several years now, that we think they’ve heard us, but we want them to do more, and you’ve kept meeting with the general over and over again. Have you been wrong in this strategy of not having a harder fist with them, taking a tougher stand? Is there something else that could have been done that would have made -- have changed this narrative, after all this time?

ADM. MULLEN: I think the substance of the meeting just the other day, as well as the vast majority of meetings that I’ve had with General Kayani, have been to work towards a way that we can sustain the relationship. It’s going to go up and down. We’ve had a very tough patch here over the last several months. I just -- I would want to reassure you that I addressed this issue very strongly with General Kayani the other night, last Friday night, when I met with him. It was the heart of the discussion, that the Haqqani -- the proxy connection to the ISI, the Haqqanis working across border, killing our people, killing Afghans, has to stop.

That’s not a new message, but it’s one that he clearly understands, and I think it’s one we have to keep reiterating.

SEC. PANETTA: The approach has to be for Pakistan to continue to put pressure on them -- continue to put pressure on them. That’s what we’ve been doing over the last few years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t work. But the fact is that the most important thing we can do is keep the pressure on. Obviously, they cooperate with us in some areas. There are other areas where we have disagreements.

Very frankly, terrorism is as much a threat for them as it is for us. And we keep telling them, you can’t choose among terrorists. If you’re -- if you’re against terrorism, you have to be against all forms of terrorism. And that’s something we just have to continue to stress.

It's funny that they accuse Pakistan of choosing between terrorists, when they are the ones who want to set up Taliban offices in Qatar, & took off the names of senior Taliban leaders from the UN blacklist. As well as not attacking the safe havens in Kunar & Nuristan.

Pakistan ISI 'exporting violence' to Afghanistan: Admiral Mike Mullen

By Dan De Luce (AFP) – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The US military's top officer bluntly accused Pakistan on Thursday of "exporting" violent extremism to Afghanistan through proxies and warned of possible US action to protect American troops.

In a scathing and unprecedented public condemnation of Pakistan, Admiral Mike Mullen said the country's main intelligence agency ISI was actively supporting Haqqani network militants blamed for an assault on the US embassy in Kabul last week.

The Haqqani network is probably the most dangerous faction in the Afghan Taliban and founded by a CIA asset turned Al-Qaeda ally. During the 1980s, the CIA funneled arms and cash to the Haqqanis to counter Soviet forces.

"The Haqqani Network, for one, acts as a veritable arm of Pakistan?s Inter-Services Intelligence agency," Mullen told the US Senate Armed Services Committee.

Mullen said Haqqani militants -- with ISI backing -- this month carried out a truck bombing on a NATO base in Afghanistan that wounded 77 Americans; assaulted the US embassy and NATO headquarters in the Afghan capital; and in June staged an attack on the InterContinental hotel in Kabul.

The admiral's tough language follows a series of stern warnings from top US officials on Pakistan's failure to crack down on the Haqqani network, raising the possibility of unilateral US action.

"If they keep killing our troops that would not be something we would just sit idly by and watch,"
Mullen said of the Haqqani insurgents.

The Central Intelligence Agency already carries out drone bombing raids on Al-Qaeda and other militants in Pakistan's northwest tribal areas, strikes which US officials do not explicitly acknowledge.

US warnings carry particular weight in the aftermath of the American raid that killed Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden on May 2 in Abbottabad, a unilateral operation that angered and embarrassed Pakistani leaders.

US officials did not alert Islamabad in advance of the nighttime operation by Navy SEAL commandos, fearing that officials might tip off bin Laden's circle.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, appearing at the same Senate hearing, expressed frustration over Haqqani sanctuaries in Pakistan and renewed a vow that the United States would safeguard its troops.

When asked by Senator Carl Levin to elaborate, Panetta declined to say what steps the government might take -- amid speculation the United States might expand drone strikes to a wider area or even stage an operation similar to the Bin Laden raid.

But he said the United States had made clear that it would do whatever is necessary to protect its troops.

"You know I haven't spelled that out for them, but I would be very surprised if they were surprised by what we did to fulfill that commitment," he said.

Panetta said Pakistan needed to take action not only on the Haqqani network but also to cooperate on tracking down prominent extremists identified by Washington and to bolster campaign against militants inside its borders.

Pakistan this week promised action against the Haqqani network if the United States provides sufficient intelligence, but denied that the Al-Qaeda-linked Taliban faction operated on Pakistani soil.

While Pakistan has maintained ties to some militants as a hedge to counter its arch-foe India, the gamble has proved a failure, Mullen said.

Pakistan was jeopardizing its partnership with Washington as well as its regional influence by "choosing to use violent extremism as an instrument of policy," he said.

Mullen added: "By exporting violence, they have eroded their internal security and their position in the region. They have undermined their international credibility and threatened their economic well-being."

In his final appearance before the Senate committee before his term ends this month as chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mullen defended his efforts to build a dialogue with Pakistan's military despite mixed results.

More than a dozen meetings with army chief General Ashfaq Kayani have proved crucial, he said.

"Some may argue I have wasted my time, that Pakistan is no closer to us than before -- and may now have drifted even further away. I disagree," he said.

"Indeed, I think we would be in a far tougher situation today, in the wake of the frostiness which fell over us after the bin Laden raid, were it not for the groundwork General Kayani and I had laid -- were it not for the fact that we could at least have a conversation about the way ahead, however difficult that conversation might be."

AFP: Pakistan ISI 'exporting violence' to Afghanistan: US

You know when i see people like you who i know to be our enemies knocking our army even if if i was wavering with my support for pakistani army I would go and stand with them.
That's exactly what they want you to do. You were induced from birth to a blind patriotism of the P.A. Yet if you can't be self-critical, how can you improve yourself and your country? Are you that willing to see Pakistan slide into poverty, lawlessness, civil conflict, and external war?

This is no different to the crap we were hearing about WMD before iraqi invasion. When will people learn american govt lies. In the absence of evidence they make it up as they go along

Veeru bro, everyone knows this, Pakistan been doing this for last 30 years to poor Afghan souls.

But its good to keep on reminding to citizens of Afghanistan what Pakistan is doing to their nation, never the less. :tup:

India is not a primary concern, in my opinion - see, now that India have turned their back on Iran and Pakistan have begun a process of rapprochement with Iran, the line about the so called "new silk route" and it's implications for Pakistan are clearer.

So, India are welcome in any way they want to be in Afghanistan, short of being a nuisance for Pakistani security - and since the primary thrust of Indian influence in the US plan is to be economic, that interest can only be furthered by creating "new" relations with Pakistan, a new realpolitik in which the status of captive Kashmir will be central -- you don't have to buy this but I would put it you that this is exactly what the thrust of US policy is.

It does make a lot of sense, except that... I really doubt India is such a peace-loving country that it would let go of such a golden opportunity where it can sandwich Pakistan. The only part stopping India is that it cannot afford to do that as long as Taliban has its presence there, and nor is India an economic giant like the US to finance such a war, that too when the Pakistani Army is there to provide all the support to the militias.

But Iran has a history of changing policies and sentiments at the drop of the hat, so I won't count too much on that for the new silk-route. India is busy appeasing the US at the moment, but if by any chance India does get some sort of hold in Afghanistan, it won't take too long to make friends with Iran once again. Then again, Iran is not the only way to the oil rich Caspian.

About the status of Kashmir, I cannot say much because I strongly feel that even though it never comes in the news, the US still plays a very significant role in it, and well, I am not much aware of the specifics on that.

This is no different to the crap we were hearing about WMD before iraqi invasion. When will people learn american govt lies. In the absence of evidence they make it up as they go along

Similar lies like the ones denying OBL presence in Pakistan.. and now the sequel of denying Haqquani presence as well.. May be that will end the same way too ;)

That's exactly what they want you to do. You were induced from birth to a blind patriotism of the P.A. Yet if you can't be self-critical, how can you improve yourself and your country? Are you that willing to see Pakistan slide into poverty, lawlessness, civil conflict, and external war?

I think you are talking about your blind loyalty for zionism mr zion lover hater of pakistan

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom