PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US Ambassador meets Pakistan Air Force Chief to discuss the F-16 programme

f16+pakistan+-3.jpg

by Zaki Khalid
[TX Desk]

US Ambassador to Pakistan Richard Olson met Pakistan Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt at Air Headquarters in Islamabad to discuss the country's F-16 programme.

According to a statement by the PAF, "various areas of further cooperation" were also discussed. After the meeting, the US Ambassador accompanied the PAF Chief on a visit to Shahbaz airbase where he was given an on-site briefing of the F-16 programme.

Sources in the PAF said that the US Ambassador discussed the refurbishing of 45 F-16 jets by Turkish Aerospace Industries, under a deal that was signed in 2010. In 2012, 3 upgraded F-16 jets were already delivered to Pakistan.

Besides the F-16s, Ambassador Olson also discussed a mid-life upgrade of older combat jets in the Pakistan Air Force fleet.

A statement by the US Embassy in Islamabad read: "Both sides affirmed their mutual commitment to a strong defence relationship which they agreed should focus on achieving common objectives".

This discussion was held under the pretext of the US Foreign Military Assistance programme.

Terminal X: US Ambassador meets Pakistan Air Force Chief to discuss the F-16 programme

^^ i don't think so. Discussion is only on upgrades.

sabr aesa on cards

Wish cards perhaps.. of fans.. nothing else.

If that was the case, you would not have ordered and payed for AND are in the process of fitting APG-68's into your MLU jets.
That is the extent of radar tech the US is EVer going to be willing to let you have.
Wishful thinking is easy.. coming down to ground realities is not.

I believe the visit of the US ambassador to the Shehbaz Air Base is part of the deal which both Governments agreed at the time of sale of F16 in which US teams can inspect F 16 when ever they want....we should not expect too much from this...

I believe the visit of the US ambassador to the Shehbaz Air Base is part of the deal which both Governments agreed at the time of sale of F16 in which US teams can inspect F 16 when ever they want....we should not expect too much from this...

That is the most credible explanation. Of course since the source of this "news" is Terminal-X :P; infinite extrapolations are possible!

Oscar definitely has a clearer 'fix' on this issue than Terminal-X. :)

I didnt like the news...
Whatever US gives has strings attached... Spending any more money on US weaponery is stupid..Divert this money towards semi indigenous and chinese hardware..
Was better if the news was about J-10B instead of F-16.

They do that from video surveillance already.. dont need Ambassadors for that.
This visit is part of the ongoing effort to get the rest of the hardware for the MLU update released quicker since the May 2 sour in relations.
A side discussion would be on asking the US if it has any EDA articles sitting around that Pakistan might use.

I didnt like the news...
Whatever US gives has strings attached... Spending any more money on US weaponery is stupid..Divert this money towards semi indigenous and chinese hardware..
Was better if the news was about J-10B instead of F-16.

Because the PAF did not exactly buy them with cold hard cash. Thy are part of some aid package.

so is PAF going for another squadron of block 52? or another 14 MLU's?

I am sure that 14 F-16s are coming from USNAF to PAF and they will see upgrade as expressed by ex-chief.

US Ambassador meets Pakistan Air Force Chief to discuss the F-16 programme

f16+pakistan+-3.jpg

by Zaki Khalid
[TX Desk]

US Ambassador to Pakistan Richard Olson met Pakistan Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt at Air Headquarters in Islamabad to discuss the country's F-16 programme.

According to a statement by the PAF, "various areas of further cooperation" were also discussed. After the meeting, the US Ambassador accompanied the PAF Chief on a visit to Shahbaz airbase where he was given an on-site briefing of the F-16 programme.

Sources in the PAF said that the US Ambassador discussed the refurbishing of 45 F-16 jets by Turkish Aerospace Industries, under a deal that was signed in 2010. In 2012, 3 upgraded F-16 jets were already delivered to Pakistan.

Besides the F-16s, Ambassador Olson also discussed a mid-life upgrade of older combat jets in the Pakistan Air Force fleet.

A statement by the US Embassy in Islamabad read: "Both sides affirmed their mutual commitment to a strong defence relationship which they agreed should focus on achieving common objectives".

This discussion was held under the pretext of the US Foreign Military Assistance programme.

Terminal X: US Ambassador meets Pakistan Air Force Chief to discuss the F-16 programme

For newer planes I am sure it will not be J-10B rahter it would be J-31s and most probably 100 of them...

@Oscar Maybe more vipers from the USAF Surplus F-16s?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing much expected from this meeting.

We are hardly going to get anything newer than last century's technology.
Much ado about nothing.

We should speed up the J-10B procurement and possibly look for local development.
The F-16s have served Pakistan well, but it's time for the newer generation to enter the arena.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom