What's new

Twist in MMRCA

Again, that's what you believe only, the point you are missing here is, that they don't have to sell them now and can wait till they get a replacement, but we have not the time to wait, till those fighters will be available. Qatar just recently stated that they invite all vendors for a competition to replace these M2Ks, so things will be delayed even further. UAE is even more difficult, because they have big wishes around the deal. So no, second hand M2Ks are not going to happen anymore.

when IAF can buy sacond hand mig-21 , why not a mirage...

when IAF can buy sacond hand mig-21 , why not a mirage...

Because it's too late for second hand fighters now, LCA MK1 production will start soon and MMRCA will be decided next year too. IAF is aiming on new and more capable fighters, that's why they don't even want new M2Ks anymore.

No, I have read somewhere, IAF might reach 39.5 by 2020 which is acceptable but it does need to reach 45 by 2025.

It is true that 39.5 Sqds is the sanctioned fighter strength of IAF and it is expected to be achieved in 2020 , while IAF will touch 42 Sqds in 2022 which is actually the target Number for Iaf chief and MOD

However this number is not going to be enough , becoz as per Indian military doctrine , we require atleast 44 Sqds in service to deter china , while IAF would be reasonably be happy with 40 Sqds or 800 fighters

The Problem for IAF in future will be the same as today , becoz post 2022 , 3 Jaguar sqds will retire and remaining 3 will retire slowly along with Mig29smt and mirage 2000 by 2027
So unless HAL improves the Induction rate for FGFA when it enters service in 2018 ie hal should complete induction of 250 fgfa by 2030 instead of a projected 2035 ,
Otherwise we could see the Sqds number plunge again to 37 from the high of 42 and then again plunge to 34 should there be a delay in AMCA beyond 2030

@ Archie
I forgot, i read somewhere the rate at which US is producing F35. 200 fighters per year. This would definitely bring down the cost of production.

I think the joint production of FGFA or PakFa should be in India with the capacity like that of F35, if Ind and Russia wants to reduce the cost of the new 5th gen fighter.

@ Archie
I forgot, i read somewhere the rate at which US is producing F35. 200 fighters per year. This would definitely bring down the cost of production.

I think the joint production of FGFA or PakFa should be in India with the capacity like that of F35, if Ind and Russia wants to reduce the cost of the new 5th gen fighter.

We cannot Produce 200 FGFA a year
Neither India , nor Russia or china have the capability to produce that many fighters a year , And by the way Combine Indian - Russian order for FGFA are not enough to support a Production Line with that much capacity
F35 has Combined US - Nato orders of 3000 Aircrafts , enough to support Purchase of 200 aircraft a year for 15 yrs till 2030 , Compared to that Russia Intends to sell 1000 PAKFA/FGFA over a period of 25 Yrs till 2040 , out of which 430 will be for Russia , 250-300 for India and another 300 For export Market , Sukhoi the prime russian contractor for Pakfa has a max capacity to produce 50 Aircraft a year , HAL which will build FGFA for India currently produces around 38 Fighters and Helicopters a year ,and it will take then 5-7 Yrs to get annual Production to 18-20 Aircrafts a yr
Production of FGFA/Pakfa for India will begin in 2018-19 and Continue till 2035-36 ie for 17 yrs Corresponding to a production rate of 15-18 Aircrafts a year

Last edited:
It is the minimum strength of squadrons sanctioned by MoD.
It must be fulfilled in order to strengthen our security.

Coz, as one member says "we are not in a position now, when we were in past.. simple..

That vision will be achieved by 2025, and no matter what we do we will not have 45 Sqdns...

When you know that you are buying 40 LCAs. Mk1, a 100 Mk2, 250 PAKFA, almost 200 MRCA, and MCA, you are on a path and on a plan. we are not so keen on increasing IAF strength now, from 33 Sqdns. We are actually fine.

Buying these Mirages could be a good deal i will say and not a bad deal.
But like Sancho said,
1. you are not filling teh gap the way you saw it coz that will also come in phases..
2. You are not gaining anything out of this in terms of technology.

These are two points to remember.

Back
Top Bottom