What's new

Tibet torture video: Rediff

China’s Ramadan Crackdown on Muslim Practices

In something eerily reminiscent of what happened in Muslim Spain, the Chinese government is cracking down on Muslim practices. During this blessed month, they are banning women from wearing veils and men from growing beards - and in fact take the veils off and shave their beards if they already have them (!!). Even restaurants which close during the day are being forced to stay open. In some places they are not even allowed to observe Ramadan, and schools are being forced to serve food/drink.

SubhanAllah, this is really sad news, and I was shocked when I read this. One thing that personally hits me about this situation, is not necessarily the hardship they endure (and may Allah(swt) grant them patience and victory, and make this a means of forgivness for them and reward them with Jannah) - but it makes me fearful for us Muslims who are not facing these hardships. Let me rephrase that: For the brothers and sisters there, being forced to not practice their religion, insha’Allah we hope that it is an excuse for them with Allah. However, what is the situation of those of us who are free to implement these practices into our lives, and yet we choose not to?

Before checking out the article also check out this short documentary showing Uighur Chinese Muslim minority here (the video has music and women without hijab, so I did not embed it here).

Here is the article in full (originally from the New York Times),

China’s Ramadan Crackdown on Muslim Practices | MuslimMatters.org

Curbs Imposed on Muslims in Western China During Ramadan

BEIJING — Local governments in a Muslim desert region in western China have imposed strict limits on religious practices during the traditional Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, which began last week, according to the Web sites of four of those governments.

The rules include prohibiting women from wearing veils and men from growing beards, as well as barring government officials from observing Ramadan. One town, Yingmaili, requires that local officials check up on mosques at least twice a week during Ramadan.

The local governments administer areas in the western part of Xinjiang, a vast autonomous region that is home to the Uighurs, a Muslim Turkic people who often chafe under rule by the ethnic Han Chinese. In August, a wave of attacks swept through Xinjiang, the largest surge of violence in the region in years. Some local officials blamed separatist groups for the instability, and the central government sent security forces to the area.

The limits on religious practices put in place by local governments appear to be part of the broader security crackdown. The areas affected by the new rules are near Kuqa, a town struck by multiple bombings on Aug. 10.

It was unclear whether the rules would be relaxed after Ramadan, an observance that some Islamic extremists have used elsewhere as a symbolic backdrop for attacks on their perceived enemies. It was also unclear how the Chinese authorities intended to enforce the rules, which appeared to run the risk of antagonizing devout Muslims who present no obvious security threat.

The Web site of the town of Yingmaili lists nine rules put in place to “maintain stability during Ramadan.”

They include barring teachers and students from observing Ramadan, prohibiting retired government officials from entering mosques and requiring men to shave off beards and women to doff veils. Mosques cannot let people from outside of town stay overnight and restaurants must maintain normal hours of business. Because of the sunrise-to-sunset fasting, many restaurants would normally close during daytime for Ramadan.

In nearby Xinhe County, the government has decreed that Communist Party members, civil servants and retired officials must not observe Ramadan, enter mosques or take part in any religious activities during the month. Worshipers cannot make pilgrimages to tombs, so as “to avoid any group event that might harm social stability,” according to the Xinhe government’s Web site.

In addition, children and students cannot be forced to attend religious activities, and women cannot be forced to wear veils.

County rules also emphasize the need to maintain a strict watch over migrant workers and visitors from outside the county. Companies and families that have workers or visitors from outside the county are required to register the outsiders with the nearest police station and have them sign an agreement “on maintaining social stability.”

Shayar County, which includes the town of Yingmaili, said on its Web site that migrants must register with the police, and that any missionary work by outsiders was banned.

Huang Yuanxi contributed research.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/09/world/asia/09china.html?_r=2&oref=slogin

U cant comp tibet and kashmir.

wat the chinese are doing is so bad that it has world attention.
Indian army officials in kashmir who are guilty are punished.

heard of kash elections?

U cant comp tibet and kashmir.

wat the chinese are doing is so bad that it has world attention.
Indian army officials in kashmir who are guilty are punished.

heard of kash elections?

Please study english a little more well, if u wanna know the whole world and other countries a liitle more. U shame indian enlish advantage.\
and welcome to china, welcome to tibet, to Lhasa, go there by yourself
but be careful, you will be "scared" by tibetan thrive, current Lhasa is more advanced than indian dozens of cities.
do u know why india is behind to china? because of so many indian guys like u
hehe:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Please study english a little more well,

heard of short hand writing? it is d sined 2 reduce no; of wrds in a sntnce

if tibet does not want to be a part of china ? why force it?

India did that on kashmir but at least everything was in open and media had full freedom to report everything.

this is not true in china.

India did that on kashmir but at least everything was in open and media had full freedom to report everything.

It is "true" that u are the king of india, even the king of the whole world.In your world, every thing is in "open" to u, just like in barbarian society.
and the king of "open", do u really think in indian former god-father society-UK,everything is in open adn media has full freedom to report everything?
and also in indian current god-father society-USA?
I would not call this foolish or call u fool. because u are so "smart" to found a new language calling "short hand writing", everyone need to guess this language except you.
Congratulations!:chilli:

if Kashmir does not want to be a part of India? why force it?

if Kashmir does not want to be a part of India? why force it?

Noone is forcing Kashmir to be a part of India. IA is not there to hold the state togetherm but to fight those who your friends in Pakistan keep sending in.

Now I will re-phrase the question. If you know you will never have Kashmir, why not stop trying?

The issue is Tibet, can some tel me how much Tibet progressed under 5000 years rules by Dalai lama's

I say zilch, now all Tibetans are educated have more freedom to practice at least not crawl before the Lords of Religion, and more progress is aparent in the last sixty years than last 50000 years.

sure their are some disgruntled people, who have been punished, in doing what they did, it looks these guys who are protesting are Religious fanatics who don't want Tibet to progress and want to keep the statuesque so that they can continue to subjugate Tibetans. And keep them in the same rut for next 5000 years.

The issue is Tibet, can some tel me how much Tibet progressed under 5000 years rules by Dalai lama's

I say zilch, now all Tibetans are educated have more freedom to practice at least not crawl before the Lords of Religion, and more progress is aparent in the last sixty years than last 50000 years.

sure their are some disgruntled people, who have been punished, in doing what they did, it looks these guys who are protesting are Religious fanatics who don't want Tibet to progress and want to keep the statuesque so that they can continue to subjugate Tibetans. And keep them in the same rut for next 5000 years.

can u tell me how much kashmir would have progressed under pakistani regimes and i bet i would c it filled wid talibs with Sharia law Imposed on it and giving rise to terrorist organizations which would become a threat to International Community! (largely India..... )! I dont wanna c a 17 yr old girl being flogged by Taliban in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir!:tsk:..and also tell me how much has Pakistan Occupied Kashmir Progressed!

i totally agree wid oderss dat Kashmir and Tibet are same issues bbut plzz allow me to list out differences........

*In tibet ,like Kashmir terrorists dont plot plans to kill innocent......

*Full Media Freedom in Kashmir unlike Tibet.......

*None of the Kashmiri student is allowed to suffer and has special constitutional rights to go to anyy State in India for education and with special privileges.....

*Tibet is forced to remain wid China unlike Kashmir in which only a few separatist want to join Pakistan and also during elections ppl voluntarily come for the polls.......!

*India fought one war for Tibet and Pak Fought three

Death invader, u r so out of touch, we are talking about Tibet and not Kashmir.
Since u mentioned kashmir, India call itself the BIGGEST DEMOCRACY of the world than why not stop killing and hols elections to the satisfactions of Pakistan and kashmiris.

fooling the world cannot fool Pakistan of claims of biggest democracy cause u fail to allow the rights of the people and block Amnesty International to view the atrocities committed by Indian Army in Kashmir.

In Tibet These religious people ruled for 5000years and the progress in Tibet was zero not jero but zero, Now it is mandatory for all children to go to school.

I can write more but klet us see what u have to say, I hope u will no indulge in anger and spit understandable and in factual things, and will not false democracy where people denied the right to choose.

China is technically a police state, and to maintain this police state the Communist Government must maintain a tight grip on control/power, information, media, and more.

This includes influencing peoples beliefs and actions, this is commonly done by propaganda and with holding the truth from the populace.

One of the Chinese Government's biggest fears is descent, descent into Hell and chaos. This is why, when there is an uprising Chinese authorities are quick to crush the rebellion, they don't want it to fester and inspire other rebellions in other unsatisfied parts of China.

"Brutality is a Method, but a Police state is a way of Life." -A1Kaid

If tibet wants autonomy, why not give it to them?:taz:

Invalid point.

Generally speaking Kashmir is consider even on the International level to be a disputed territory. However, Tibet is considered a Chinese region by most governments, so the question of Chinese sovereignty is not raised, but it is Chinese actions that are appalled and condemned.

By the way technically speaking Tibet is given "autonomy" it is "semi-autonomous" especially compared to the other regions of China. Discussing Tibetan independence is a whole different issue.

In Kashmirs case both Indian human rights violations and brutal oppression is condemned, and by many governments opposed, also Kashmir simply does not belong to India.

Let's stick to the topic...Back to Tibet

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom