What's new

The curious case of Indian Punjabis

This thread fails to make any sense to me...and someone said TS is from Canada...who knows who he is?...

I am a Punjabi ( hindu/sikh) . I belong to a small town near Amritsar.Last year, I had the opportunity of going to Wagah Border to see the Flag ceremony. The land and people on the either side of the fence were no different.I could not help but wonder why did punjab( Indian) choose to be a part of India rather than Pakistan or Viceversa for Pakistan punjab....Punjab has its own unique culture which is very similar on either side of the fence to the best of my knowledge.

What I do not understand is why a state like Punjab has to be paired up with other places like tamil naidu or assam.I do not speak tamil,do not understand their culture and probably will never go there since we are 2000kms apart from each other.I do respect all the cultures and I think everyone should be proud of their identity.But I find it extremely weird that on one hand punjab is clubbed with Assam which is culturally so different and on the other hand a place which is 90% similar and only 50 miles away i m not allowed to visit.

It is not even a question of religious tolerance as before partition muslim,hindus and sikhs used to live together and still do in India. Even right now there is a town 10 kms away from my place where every sign post or advertisement board is written in urdu...and we live happily together( i cannot read urdu). the elders in my village elders(really old guns) always share their fond memories of pre partition days,Lahore features unequivocally in almost all of these conversations i must say. will visit lahore for sure one day.have to see what is all the hype about.after all its not made of gold.is it.lol

Two years I had to come to canada due to obvious reasons.I met so many people from Punjab(pakistan) and we get along so well.Lahoris are not very fond of Karachiites i learnt.lol

When u think about it India was most prosperous before it was India.............

Kakaji, Agar same culture ka itna pyaar hota to kya batwara hota.. Aur partition was religion based not culture based, Don't forget that. Also let me make one more thing clear here, just for a minute let's consider that Amritsar/Ludhiana and rest of the current punjab was made part of Pakistan then my dear friend all the Hindu/Sikhs would have been killed/burnt alive or thrown out of Punjab just like what happened in Pindi/Lahore etc.

So consider it good luck you have your part of Punjabi land and Punjabi culture still surviving thanks to partition of Punjab otherwise you would have been thrown out your land and would have been surviving in some refugee camps like Kashmiri pandits.. Think over it.. Abhi sab pyaar muhabbat se baat karte hain that does not mean it was always like that specially at the time of partition.. one more thing, at the time of partition as a Hindu/Sikh you were 1000 times safer in Tamilnadu then in your similar unique culture Pakistani punjab...

bakwas....

Sikhs are still in Pakistan --perhaps not in LARGE numbers --but they are very much there and will continue to be there.

we dont need some indian-american youngster to speak on their behalf.

a regular occurence annually --when Sikhs from hindustan visit in huge numbers to visit their holiest places in Pakistan

Last edited by a moderator:
Another example that this combined "people" of Indo-Pak arent that different when it comes to some elements of behavior.
Find somebody from your nation that talks off the normal track...steps to follow

1. Try to interpret the post as if it was less controversial than it was, in an attempt to save the image of your countrymen and bring this "lost soul" back into the flock.

2. If the above fails, use brute force and abusive language to get him in line or shut him up. Explain to him the Massive sacrifices borne by the nation to get where it is today and how he should be thankful for it.

3. If the above fails, declare the poster a persona non grata in the community. Try to find insulting terms over his current flag, if an expat.. insult on basis of not knowing the ground realities.

4. if the above fails,Deny the person belongs to your nation altogether. After all, there cant be such black sheep in the pristine and shining hoard of white patriots who will do their best to paint a rosy picture.

If anybody has had the patience to go through the thread, you can see this trend.

the trend is indeed unfortunate....would like to know ur comments on the original post as well

Abu, Aise to India main muslims bhi kam nahi hain. Aur partition mein kitna katle-aam hua tha yeh koyi nayi baat nahi hai.. Or are you trying to say that no Hindu/Sikh in Pakistani punjab was butchered in partition riots??

And I am not an unrelated Indian-American youngster, I am one of them..

Well,that was 15 minutes of my life reading this thread that I will never get back.Are you talking about the same Punjab where enrolling in the Indian Armed Forces is taken as a matter of family prestige?The same Sikhs who risk their life and limbs to protect all of us,be it a Hyderabadi or a Madrassi?Whose bravery and dedication to the nation can be seen with the number of Param Vir Chakras gone to Punjab putting the rest of the states to shame?The same Punjab where truck drivers proudly stick "Doodh maango ge,toh Kheer denge..." at the backs of their trucks?

That is the Punjab we know.

Abu, Aise to India main muslims bhi kam nahi hain. Aur partition mein kitna katle-aam hua tha yeh koyi nayi baat nahi hai.. Or are you trying to say that no Hindu/Sikh in Pakistani punjab was butchered in partition riots??
And I am not an unrelated Indian-American youngster, I am one of them..

and what about butchering of sikhs at the hand of hindus......

Well,that was 15 minutes of my life reading this thread that I will never get back.Are you talking about the same Punjab where enrolling in the Indian Armed Forces is taken as a matter of family prestige?The same Sikhs who risk their life and limbs to protect all of us,be it a Hyderabadi or a Madrassi?Whose bravery and dedication to the nation can be seen with the number of Param Vir Chakras gone to Punjab putting the rest of the states to shame?The same Punjab where truck drivers proudly stick "Doodh maango ge,toh Kheer denge..." at the backs of their trucks?

That is the Punjab we know.

I agree that's the real Punjab.. It seems OP has met some Lahoris in Canada and got emotional about his Punjabi connection with them. Obviously there is a similarity, the language is same, dhol/bhangra is same lots of other things is same but what he is forgetting is how he see people behaving today specially out of South Asia is way different then what was the situation there then in 1947..

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

I think we are talking about 1947.. and any incident later was not an hindu attack rather a political party attack and you know it better.

:pakistan:

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Have met many indian Punjabi's both in india and around the world - the kind of love our lot get from them, you don't get from other indians except maybe some indian Muslims.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

What does it matter if your family member is killed, it is the same horror is it not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that's the real Punjab.. It seems OP has met some Lahoris in Canada and got emotional about his Punjabi connection with them. Obviously there is a similarity, the language is same, dhol/bhangra is same lots of other things is same but what he is forgetting is how he see people behaving today specially out of South Asia is way different then what was the situation there then in 1947..

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

I think we are talking about 1947.. and any incident later was not an hindu attack rather a political party attack and you know it better.
how do you know the partition attack was not politically motivated as well.

some indian members here are either delusional or they are really good at quantum physics. u know being at two different places at the same time or more like contradicting themselves all the time

Another example that this combined "people" of Indo-Pak arent that different when it comes to some elements of behavior.
Find somebody from your nation that talks off the normal track...steps to follow

2. Explain to him the Massive sacrifices borne by the nation to get where it is today and how he should be thankful for it.

3. If the above fails, declare the poster a persona non grata in the community.

If anybody has had the patience to go through the thread, you can see this trend.

Point no. 2 is what is expected from every citizen of a nation, a certain amount of patriotism. It's the duty of every citizen unless of course , he is not an Indian citizen anymore in which case he has no locus standi to comment on Indian Govt 's visa policies and border fencing.

Point no .3 is a natural follow on to Arundhuti Roy type behavior . When a person is ashamed of his identity enough to badmouth it and have wavering loyalties to his country, then he is no longer welcome among his countrymen. Again nothing out of ordinary.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

What about those Hindus with a Hindutva agenda who saved loads of Sikhs from Congress political goons ? What about them ?

how do you know the partition attack was not politically motivated as well.

some indian members here are either delusional or they are really good at quantum physics. u know being at two different places at the same time or more like contradicting themselves all the time

Obviously, 1947 riots were politically motivated too but it reached to the point of no return with masses getting involved and it becoming a religious warfare and the point is if you were sitting is Lahore at the time of partition I bet there would have been very less chances of your survival.

84 was unfortunate but having been in Delhi as a kid I saw how many Sikh families were hosted and guarded by Hindus from attacking Congress goons. Point is It was more of hate attack by Congress goons not by Hindus and it was never seen as Hindu Sikh rivalry but still instead of those Congressi goons it was the same Hindus who had to pay the price by giving their lives in terrorism that started in Punjab afterwards.

But even after all that Sikhs are thriving community in India and if you wish you can try comparing that with surviving Sikh/Hindus in Pakistan. All the incidents in recent past are in public domain you can go and figure out yourself how safe they are and how much voice they have in the respective places?

Initially it was on religious/social grounds that those that moved to Pakistan did and vice versa. Of course initially it could be said it was perplexing how an arbitrary line had been drawn by a removed and unfamiliarized Gora but now in the following 60+ years the two sides have created distinct cultural differences. The differences are only to get larger over time.

Point no. 2 is what is expected from every citizen of a nation, a certain amount of patriotism. It's the duty of every citizen unless of course , he is not an Indian citizen anymore in which case he has no locus standi to comment on Indian Govt 's visa policies and border fencing.

Point no .3 is a natural follow on to Arundhuti Roy type behavior . When a person is ashamed of his identity enough to badmouth it and have wavering loyalties to his country, then he is no longer welcome among his countrymen. Again nothing out of ordinary.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

What about those Hindus with a Hindutva agenda who saved loads of Sikhs from Congress political goons ? What about them ?

there are a whole bunch of stories where sikhs saved muslims and viceversa during partition. what about them ...

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Obviously, 1947 riots were politically motivated too but it reached to the level of no return and the point is if you were sitting is Lahore at the time of partition I bet there would have been very less chances of your survival.

84 was unfortunate but having been in Delhi as a Kid I saw how many Sikh families were hosted and guarded by Hindus from attacking Congress goons. But again the point is Sikhs are thriving community in India and if you wish you can try comparing that with surviving Sikh/Hindus in Pakistan. All the incidents in recent past are in public domain you can go and see yourself how safe they are and how much voice they have in the respective places?

that is all , no justice after 26 years???

that is all , no justice after 26 years???

What about justice to the families of innocent Hindus who were killed in the wave of terrorism in Punjab? What was their fault?? Will they ever get any justice? Your case is in court of law but they do not have any case at all.. Think over it..

And I in no way mean to say that victims of 84 riots should not get justice but unfortunately they will not get justice they deserve till the time we keeping voting this sinister Congress in the center..

Back
Top Bottom