What's new

Su-30MKI & JF-17 Air Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didnt say that. But he said this. That range is the only criteria to decide whether its a pt defence fighter or not.

He didn't say that. Read again. He is highlighting one more fact that if you call a fighter with 3000km range & combat radius of 1350km a point defence fighter. It is ludicrous. Only is the key word here.

The distance between India and Pakistan is not much. The range of the plane is enough to support the ground troops and dedicated missions given to the various squadrons of the PAF during the war.

He didn't say that. Read again. He is highlighting one more fact that if you call a fighter with 3000km range & combat radius of 1350km a point defence fighter. It is ludicrous.

The distance between India and Pakistan is not much. The range of the plane is enough to support the ground troops and dedicated missions given to the various squadrons of the PAF during the war.

Well Owais didnt mention anything other than the range.

I had a doubt and im no expert, so i googled and found out grippen which is a pt fighter had the same range as JF-17.

And so i refuted, thats it.

Bull, do you know what JAS stands for? Google it, if you can google what you need to know, i know you can google this too.

Anyways, JAS stands for.

Jakt, Attack, Spaning which means (Fighter, Attacker, Surveillance). Now use some common sense and think. If IAF procures Gripen for its MRCA tender, does it mean that Gripen will not enter Pakistan Air Space? :hitwall:

And will only act as a point defence fighter, merely for defence?

Bull, do you know what JAS stands for? Google it, if you can google what you need to know, i know you can google this too.

Anyways, JAS stands for.

Jakt, Attack, Spaning which means (Fighter, Attacker, Surveillance). Now use some common sense and think. If IAF procures Gripen for its MRCA tender, does it mean that Gripen will not enter Pakistan Air Space? :hitwall:

I didnt know the expansion.

Can i ask you something? i sincerly dont know the answer ok. Just answer this. A pt fighter is suppose to defend from just one pt right. It cant do A2G but only A2A, right?
Now this A2A can be anywhere ,right? It can be over Pak airspace also under the AWACS or as part of a bigger team. Cant it be.

Take a read on this.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/gripen.htm

Should help.

Gripen and JF-17 both are multirole aircrafts and can perform any role. They can be in Indian Air Space, perform any mission possible as long as configuration doesn't limit them (for example they cannot go deep inside Indian territory, however Air-To-Air refuellers will help to a certain extent.)

Gripen and JF-17 can do A2G, A2A, Anti-ship and various other roles!

A good question Bull, to my knowledge it can be both.
Here's the definition of point defence from wiki:

Point-defence (or point-defense, see spelling differences) is the defence of a single object or a limited area, e.g. a ship, building or an airfield, usually against air attacks and guided missiles. Point-defence weapons have a smaller range in contrast to area-defence systems and are placed near or on the object to protect.

Point-defence may include:

short-ranged interceptor aircraft
Close-in weapon systems on ships
land-based short-ranged anti-aircraft guns or surface-to-air missile systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_defense

A good question Bull, to my knowledge it can be both.
Here's the definition of point defence from wiki:

Ok so it basically means just one predefined role. It cant double up as anything else. Ok so that explains what a multi role is.
God i learnt something today. :bounce:

Notice that short range is mentioned for this role but almost any modern aircraft can be used as a point defence fighter.

I know that even PAF's F-16's have been trained to defend Kahutta.

would JF-17's radar be powerful enough to provide high resolution mapping of the target area?

what makes F-16 so good for A2G is it's radar has very good resolution for mapping target mapping. The ability of SAR.

KLJ-7 is selected for the first batch of 50 (block I) JF-17's and the radar is reported to be better than the APG-66 used in F-16A/B's as per PAF's evaluation.
We're looking into AESA radar from various countries for the block II, obviously it will be even better option.

Btw, I'm unaware of F-16's role in SAR operations. Which country is using it for SAR role? :confused:

Btw, I'm unaware of F-16's role in SAR operations. Which country is using it for SAR role? :confused:

Neo,I think you got confused with SAR. I was talking about Synthetic Aperture Radar,using for high resolution ground mapping.
The need for better A2G ability.

Also I wonder why change the radar just after having 50 birds?
It does not make economic sense. You would to change lot of things and it would very expensive.
Add to this need to change the production line to implement the new radar type.Remeber AESA is not just a upgrade,it is a different type of radar.

Wonder if PAF has the budget for such a sudden change?

The modifications in the JF-17 was especially done in order to accomodate various radars and engines. Not a big deal. ;)

Neo,I think you got confused with SAR. I was talking about Synthetic Aperture Radar,using for high resolution ground mapping.
The need for better A2G ability.
Thanks mate, I wasn't thinking clear I guess...:oops: :cheers:

Also I wonder why change the radar just after having 50 birds?
It does not make economic sense. You would to change lot of things and it would very expensive.
Add to this need to change the production line to implement the new radar type.Remeber AESA is not just a upgrade,it is a different type of radar.

Wonder if PAF has the budget for such a sudden change?
Chinese radar and avionics is part of the original agreement, we're bound to buy best of chinese goodies for the first batch.
AESA is a possibility, we're looking into several options according to the 7 page special report in AFM June edition but might aswell stick to the Chinese KLJ-7 as we're very satisfied about its performance.

He didnt say that. But he said this. That range is the only criteria to decide whether its a pt defence fighter or not.

I thought the links I have provided explain you about wat I said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom