What's new

Sri Lanka plans to grant working visa to Indians due to labour shortage

of course India has poor people....no one deny that.... but do you agree that Lankans go to gulf with visiting visas and look for a jobs there...? if you r pointing out that Indians coming to it country with visiting visa and finding jobs and so...first correct yourself, cause I know plenty of Lankans both in gulf and India searching for jobs with visiting visa

Many here seem to think India is a 1st world country when it is far from it, so as good neighbours it is our duty to help u understand the reality. I have known no such lankan but I assume many would go there on visiting visa look for jobs and seek a work visa and work there. There is no harm in it. :)
Why should I correct myself. I am just commenting here on a newspaper article. Then again we have experience with indian illegal street vendors in colombo and it is a open secret here. Actually the reason SL stopped visa on arrival to indians is this illegal vendors problem. :)
By the way how does indians and Lnkans working in Gulf relate to this whole discussion :D. I see what has happened. The Indians here (I dont think every indian is an idiot) were hurt to read this and finding newspaper articles, their egos were damaged. So i can understand ur whole beating around the bush was to safeguard some false ego.

He may be a professor but came to work as teacher. Ironically he came to teach bible studies. :)

Hoooooooo.................You mean to say that standard of SL education is so high that a Phd in Botany is teaching in schools...............He was professor in Thurstan College Colombo................

Hoooooooo.................You mean to say that standard of SL education is so high that a Phd in Botany is teaching in schools...............He was professor in Thurstan College Colombo................

Hmmm..Thurstan College Colombo is a public high school my freind not a higher education facility..Most of the public schools on the island are modelled on the British public school system hence the term "College"..Can be misconcepted

Btw i'm not questioning the status of this person

Well it was $6500 in 2011..So presumebaly it's higher now maybe around $8000..GDP per Capita that is

The GDP ppp(Purchasing power per capita) stood at $12,000(2011)..So ideally that should also be more..Given that Lankan economy grew at around 7%

In anycase western province of Sri Lanka has the highest recorded GDP per capita for any region in South Asia
so you say that in one year the percapita grew by 1500$......:rofl: are you kidding....lol

so you say that in one year the percapita grew by 1500$......:rofl: are you kidding....lol

Probably not ..I'm no economist but it's more than $6500 now and surely more than $6000 that you have falsely posted..

But thats beside the point..No state or city in India or even South Asia for that matter comes even close to the Western Province of Lanka when it comes to developement, GDP or living standards..Despite your vain attempts to prove otherwise

Come out with validated stats or your chest beatings comes to nothing

Delhi GDP per capita - £2200(2nd highest) , Kerala state (35 million people but GDP is half of Sri Lanka) - $1800..Goa which claims to be the most livable part of India with high income - $2463 (have a tiny population )..This is the true picture of India..per capita in states like Bihar is as low as $250 ! some stats are shocking,India has more than 400 million that live under $1 per day ! TBH I feel sorry for them.Despite the egos of Indians here ,Forget labour work,most of these would be happy to live in our closed IDP camps !

Probably not ..I'm no economist but it's more than $6500 now and surely more than $6000 that you have falsely posted..

But thats beside the point..No state or city in India or even South Asia for that matter comes even close to the Western Province of Lanka when it comes to developement, GDP or living standards..Despite your vain attempts to prove otherwise

Come out with validated stats or your chest beatings comes to nothing
There are many small cities in india which does better than srilankan cities and also leads bigger cities of india in percapita. For example : Mangalore city has percapita of around 6000$ compare to bangalore 2000$. Mangalore alone has around 30 engineering colleges and 8 medical colleges. Not only mangalore there are many such cities in india which are developing faster than other big cities, but they are are not highlighted. If you dont believe just google it. :tup:

There are many small cities in india which does better than srilankan cities and also leads bigger cities of india in percapita. For example : Mangalore city has percapita of around 6000$ compare to bangalore 2000$. Mangalore alone has around 30 engineering colleges and 8 medical colleges. Not only mangalore there are many such cities in india which are developing faster than other big cities, but they are are not highlighted. If you dont believe just google it. :tup:

Again there are cities with much higher GDP in capita in SL than any city in whole of South Asia.. The given stat of $6500 is for the whole western province including the Cities of Gampaha, Wattala, Colombo, Kalutara and Negambo.. So given individual cities in the province the per capita rates are obviously higher

Again there are cities with much higher GDP in capita in SL than any city in whole of South Asia.. The given stat of $6500 is for the whole western province including the Cities of Gampaha, Wattala, Colombo, Kalutara and Negambo.. So given individual cities in the province the per capita rates are obviously higher
Yea may be becoz the population in the cities you mentioned are very less (< 300000). Thats why the percapita is quite good.

Yea may be becoz the population in the cities you mentioned are very less (< 300000). Thats why the percapita is quite good.

actually Colombo and Gampaha have populations over a million..

Colombo: Facing a shortage of labourers, Sri Lanka plans to grant work visas to Indians to harvest paddy in the country's north and east, a media report said on Sunday. "The government is helpless as our people are leaving the country to work as labourers in West Asia, Singapore, South Korea and Italy," Lankan Agricultural Minister Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena was quoted as saying in the Sunday Times.

He said the Indians were working in the paddy fields in the country's north and east having arrived on tourist visas. "It (the labour shortage) is now spreading to the North-Central and Southern provinces too," he added.

Abeywardena said when the proposal to give work visas to Indians came into force, a request to the Immigration Department should come from the Agriculture or the Labour Ministry. This would also be discussed with the Defence Ministry.

He said the farmer community in the Ampara, Batticaloa, Kilinochchi, Polonnaruwa, Trincomalee and Vavuniya districts had requested District Secretaries to allow South Indians to work in the fields as there was a shortage of labourers. The paper quoted Investment Promotion Minister Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena as saying "We have to bring down labourers on six month visas. Similarly there are many sectors and companies that bring down labourers from India, China, the Maldives and other countries."

Agriculture Ministry Secretary W Sakalasooriya said, "The farmers say that the Indians can be employed on a low wage. They can do more work and these labourers know how to operate the harvesting machines efficiently." Immigration officials said a number of Indian labourers had been arrested for over staying the one month visit visa.

"These Indians are not deported but are sent back to India on humanitarian grounds. They can come back and work in paddy fields," the paper quoted Immigration officer as saying. In 2012, Sri Lanka stopped its on arrival visa policy for citizens other than Singaporeans and Maldivians. Travellers are now required to apply at Lankan missions overseas for on line visit visas for all travel to the island.

Sri Lanka plans to grant working visa to Indians due to labour shortage: Report - India - IBNLive

good news

Indian people get job and Sri lankans get labours

I found it really strange, how much SL can pay to Indian workers per month. In Kerala, a non-keralite worker earns around 350-400 per day. Rs-9100 to Rs-12000/- per month and now Kerala got 2.5 million non-keralite workers. Nobody goes to gulf now for labour jobs from north and east India, instead comes to kerala. Can SL pay more than that?

I don't think so

But the labors who cant get jobs in Kerala, may get jobs in SL.

What is the unemployment rate in Sri Lanka?

Colombo: Facing a shortage of labourers, Sri Lanka plans to grant work visas to Indians to harvest paddy in the country's north and east, a media report said on Sunday. "The government is helpless as our people are leaving the country to work as labourers in West Asia, Singapore, South Korea and Italy," Lankan Agricultural Minister Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena was quoted as saying in the Sunday Times.

He said the Indians were working in the paddy fields in the country's north and east having arrived on tourist visas. "It (the labour shortage) is now spreading to the North-Central and Southern provinces too," he added.

Abeywardena said when the proposal to give work visas to Indians came into force, a request to the Immigration Department should come from the Agriculture or the Labour Ministry. This would also be discussed with the Defence Ministry.

He said the farmer community in the Ampara, Batticaloa, Kilinochchi, Polonnaruwa, Trincomalee and Vavuniya districts had requested District Secretaries to allow South Indians to work in the fields as there was a shortage of labourers. The paper quoted Investment Promotion Minister Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena as saying "We have to bring down labourers on six month visas. Similarly there are many sectors and companies that bring down labourers from India, China, the Maldives and other countries."

Agriculture Ministry Secretary W Sakalasooriya said, "The farmers say that the Indians can be employed on a low wage. They can do more work and these labourers know how to operate the harvesting machines efficiently." Immigration officials said a number of Indian labourers had been arrested for over staying the one month visit visa.

"These Indians are not deported but are sent back to India on humanitarian grounds. They can come back and work in paddy fields," the paper quoted Immigration officer as saying. In 2012, Sri Lanka stopped its on arrival visa policy for citizens other than Singaporeans and Maldivians. Travellers are now required to apply at Lankan missions overseas for on line visit visas for all travel to the island.

Sri Lanka plans to grant working visa to Indians due to labour shortage: Report - India - IBNLive

Back
Top Bottom