What's new

Shiv Sena Threatens to Destroy Train Indicators if Not Displayed in Marathi

Abu Zolfiqar

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
MUMBAI: The Shiv Sena has threatened to vandalize Maharashtra train station signs in English and Hindi unless Central Railway authorities includes Marathi. And the group has given a two-week deadline to abide by its demands.

Anil Desai, general secretary of the Local People’s Rights Committee of the rightist Marathi political organization, delivered the demand to Central Railway officials on Wednesday.

Desai said that Central Railway was intentionally ignoring the Marathi language despite general recommendations that signs at government and semi-government offices in Maharashtra state include the three languages, adding that many of the users of the rail system in the and near the state speak only Marathi. All stations in the Western Railway system (which covers the Mumbai metropolitan area) and some other stations in the state already have signs that include Marathi.

Central Railway authorities have argued that space constraints on train indicators prevents them from including a third language, but that as a general rule it tries to use three-language signs whenever possible.

Sena threatens to destroy train indicators if not displayed in Marathi - Arab News

They love to live in lime light................lol

Shiv Sena somehow makes it difficult for me to support them on any issue. I am all for Marathi as one of the display language, but they continue to associate concerns of a common man with language of Goons.

is Marathi considered a ''hindu'' language?

I'm only asking because i was under the impression that shiv sena was a hindu nationalist syndicate/militant-outfit.

(at least for representing touchable hindus)

i seek indian explanation

^^^
Nope Marathi is a language spoken in the state of Maharashtra. It is the local language and irrespective of religion people speak it. It is from the Indo-Iranian origin. Actually I do not know of any language being Hindu / Muslim. In my family generally Urdu is spoken (I am from Lucknow) and we are a Hindu Family(with exception of me). Similarly in Tamil Nadu Tamil s spoken in Kerala Malyalam is spoken, despite having a huge chunk of Muslims and Christians. You will not find a native Hindi (Hindu Language as per you) in the region.

Shiv Sena has the sphere of influence in and around Maharashtra and at times been against even North Indians irrespective of his religion. Their bonds with state is much stronger than religion (though you might find it hard to believe). They have hardly any presence outside the state.

Last edited:
You may have not noticed the sarcasm.

Why/how does a hindu nationalist organization now pull off the ethnic card? do they call themselves indians or maharashtrans?

^^^^ shiv Sean was always a party created for championing the cause of sons of the soil of maharashtra, it was so for decades.

They took up the hindutva banner when they thought it will take them places during the babri masjid days. But they remain a party with influence in mumbai - and anything happening in mumbai gets huge publicity in india and world. they only give tickets to marathis in any election in maharashtra.

BTW Shiv sena does not mean army of Shiva (the god) but of Shivaji the maratha king who rallied the marathis and created the maratha empire.

I did, but tried to not get into a pissing contest, with your heavyweight Think Tank tag making the direction of wind against me.

Why/how does a hindu nationalist organization now pull off the ethnic card? do they call themselves indians or maharashtrans?

But actually they call themselves Marathi Manus. They are Indians with a strong ethnic identity.

How?? - Don't ask me I am wondering about the same thing - How do they manage to get so much media attention even after loosing the elections?

I did, but tried to not get into a pissing contest, with your heavyweight Think Tank tag making the direction of wind against me.

No need for self-created/perceived inferiority complex. I'm just trying to get some answers here. Has nothing at all to do with tags. I'm a VERY simple man.

How?? - Don't ask me I am wondering about the same thing - How do they manage to get so much media attention even after loosing the elections?

comical relief

(except for the hindu suicide squads aspect)

Oops!! disappointing one cannot blame Shiv Sena of targeting particular religion here.

They were formed to protect interest (or Capitalize on)of native Maharashtrians they may have digressed from cause due to factionalism or whatever very common in political parties.

I wonder why this thread exists here in 1st place ? Intent seems misleading.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom