What's new

Shining India: Dalit not allowed to Cycle in the "upper caste" areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In Perali village, Dalits can't cycle in upper caste areas

04THVILLAGE_772076f.jpg

After several years of struggle and agitation, the Dalits of Perali village in Perambalur district say they continue to face discrimination at the hands of caste Hindus.

They still cannot ride a bicycle on streets where upper caste members reside. Those who dare to violate the ‘ban' face abuse and threats.

In 2002, the All India Democratic Women's Association organised an agitation in the village, forcing the district administration to intervene. A group of Dalit boys and girls cycled along the upper caste streets under the supervision of Revenue officials. The freedom was short-lived.

Dalits students of the Government Higher Secondary School in the village still cannot take the upper caste streets though it is a shorter, safe route.

They have get down from the bicycle and push it or go via the busy Perambalur-Ariyalur High Road , says 49-year-old N. Ayyakannu, a real estate broker. Even the postmaster, a Dalit, cannot ride his bicycle on the upper caste streets.

“After all the representations and agitations many of us are fed up and have come to the conclusion that things will not change,” he says.

Dalits constitute a minority in the village.

Many among them have to work as agricultural labourers for the affluent and dominant caste Hindus and can hardly afford to go against the wishes of their employers.

Dalits are not allowed to enter the temple on the upper caste street, says Mr. Ayyakannu.

‘The two-tumbler system' is prevalent in some of the tea shops, says Arumugam, a 70-year-old agricultural labourer. “The system is followed except in two shops. We cannot even sit as equals with caste Hindus on the benches at the tea shops.”

Though the village has a library, Dalit youth can only sit on the floor, says Suresh, a Dalit boy.

Charge denied

K. Padaikathu, president of the village panchayat, who belongs to the upper caste community, denied there was any ban on Dalits cycling through the upper caste streets.

When probed further, he conceded that there could be a few minor issues, but maintained there were no major problems in the village.

“Such problems were there some years back when I was young. But now, we co-exist peacefully.”

Asked about Dalits being denied admission to the temple, Mr.Padaikathu said there were separate temples in upper caste and Dalit streets and there was agreement that the two communities would worship separately

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : In Perali village, Dalits can't cycle in upper caste areas

Where are those who ask if Hindus in Pakistan have equal rights , if a low caste hindu cant be treated equally in "Hindustan" by their own Hindu community , then only God can help.

But Islam does not have caste system so why were you discriminating hindus in the land of the pure?

Although things has changed a lot in last few hundred years. But some small incident do happens.

Cast system exist in Muslim and Christians also. Muslim/Christians are getting reservation as OBC/SC/ST.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Secular India???

Yes Secular India. No country is perfect. We can't control 1.21 billion for each and every action. But 99% don't have any discrimination towards anyone.

You want to say government will go to 7,00,000 Lakh vilages and tell each and every person ? It's impossible.

But by each passing decade, things are improving and by 2030, India will be prosperous with very less problem in society.

wt the hell does that have to do with my question? and why u posting that idiot zakir naik?

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Pakistan: Christians and 'untouchables' are denied flood aid | EnerPub - Energy Publisher

land of the pure :disagree:

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

But, Ram saw something in the camps which left him disturbed. “The school I teach in has been turned into a camp for the flood-affected people, but when three Hindu families from the Kohli caste sought refuge there, they were denied it.

“When the Kohli families insisted on staying, one of the men from the displaced Muslim community began contemptuously urinating in full view of the Kohli women and they had little choice but to leave,” said Ram.

“They treat dogs better than they treat us human beings,” said Ram in anger and helplessness.

I thought Islam teaches all are equal

Who says Muslims don't have cast system ? They also have same caste system. Muslim and Christians Dalit/OBC get reservation in India for various government Jobs and special privileges. May be because their ancestors were Hindus, So they followed the wrong tradition. :rolleyes:

Although things has changed a lot in last few hundred years. But some small incident do happens.

Cast system exist in Muslim and Christians also. Muslim/Christians are getting reservation as OBC/SC/ST.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Yes Secular India. No country is perfect. We can't control 1.21 billion for each and every action. But 99% don't have any discrimination towards anyone.

You want to say government will go to 7,00,000 Lakh vilages and tell each and every person ? It's impossible.

But by each passing decade, things are improving and by 2030, India will be prosperous with very less problem in society.

The problem is not the controlling, rather than of mentality. By 2030? That is not even possible till 5030.

Lolz at 99%, dalits are around 170 Million in India which constitutes around 14% to 15% of total indian population.

Secular India???

Wat abt Deobandi Sunni and Wahabis?both are living in great Muslim state?? and they killing each other. Here in particular area dalits are not allowed to ride the bicycle but in Pakistan both(shia and sunni) of them killing each other by throwing bombs. Tell me who is best?

Islam must not be dragged in , lets talk about dalits and the oppression of the high caste hindu society in hindustan.

This is just idiotic. It will take another generation for the caste system to disappear.

BBC News - Pakistan floods: BBC reporter joins relief air mission

Pakistan is the last country on earth to talk about minority rights

"He was OK before," said Ghehnu," but when the rains started he got sick. If we had money we would bring him to a doctor. But we are poor. I am worried for my son but what can I do?"

Ghehnu is a lower caste Hindu, like many other flood victims in the area. Religious minorities expect to be last on the list when there is aid to be given out.

It has been two weeks since local officials evacuated families from Ghehnu's flooded village, and deposited them in Badin.

The villagers have not seen them since.

Land of the pure aint looking so pure no more

Secular India???

give me one section in indian constitution that is against dalits? indian constitution itself is written by a scholar dalit...
I am sure that actions will be taken against those who divide people on basis of caste...because it is what our constitution teaches us and that is why India is secular...not because some guys treat dalits badly...

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

This is just idiotic. It will take another generation for the caste system to disappear.

caste system is never going to disappear unless people start following vedas and give up their surnames..

The problem is not the controlling, rather than of mentality. By 2030? That is not even possible till 5030.

Lolz at 99%, dalits are around 170 Million in India which constitutes around 14% to 15% of total indian population.

1 discrimination in 7,00,000 Villages? In Pakistan, I hear everyday not with Caste but against Hindus, Christians, Ahmediyas, Shias, Baloch and who not ?

I don't think, The problem is same today which was many centuries back. Today discrimination is very less, Hardly 1% overall. I don't even know cast of my 90% friends. Cast was big problem, But it's not the same. hardly anyone knows the caste of other person. And do remember, Cast is among all religion and not Hindus. By 2030, Problem will be negligible and we will be one of the best country. I am also here, You are also here. We will see where we reach.. :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom