What's new

SECULARISM- "India Style"

Your way of putting every opinion as "Wrong" or "Right" is a habitual disease that can not see others make their opinion public. Bro...we will not let Modi become a Hitler. We Indians are that secular.

You mean to say that every Indian must feel the same irrespective of his being from the majority or the minority community is wrong?

And stop this bringing in Modi into everything. How is that relevant here ? Cant you Congressis debate without bringing in his name ?

When a particular community is in majority it is natural to think superior, racially dominant and start thinking laws is their. In all the countries around the world this is the phenomena.

I am fortunate to live in a land where my fellow Hindu brothers don't feel like that. I must give credit to the secular upbringing of their. But unfortunately they are being contempt of their upbringing. I belong to the same majority, I have similar upbringing and I love to pass that to my next generation.

And what this has got to do with the discussion ? We all know Hindus by nature are secular.

Regarding Lalu I can not comment. Regarding Mr. Digvijay Singh, he has his point to make which in the light of majority terrorism is quite valid. He may be stretching things sometime, but he is quite learned enough to think independently and share his opinion in democratic framework.

Two questions.

Why not Lalu ? Is it because you think he is wrong and cannot refute him?

And what is the constitutionally permitted level (legal limit) to which you can stretch things ?

Could you please put the established definition for me? Do they have the same demography to deal with as ours?

Can you deny that demography has a role to play while framing rules. Can we copy and paste established laws of some European countries where minority can be put in couple of thousands?

No opinion is silly, bro. You just need to be as intelligent to understand it.

Blabbering BS. Many European countries have sizable number of minorities. And you can be of same religion and still be minority (like Catholics in US). To claim that we are special is sinister at best. When modern India was born, size of Indian minority was actually much smaller. We have copied and pasted European laws while creating our constitution, our judicial system and our legislative/executive branches of government. Religious appeasement (not just minority) is nothing more than a political tool used since the creation of nation for political gain. Any country where government "edits" constitution to appease a section of people is not secular by any measure. That's flagrant violation of law. How is that same minority feels more secure in west and have more opportunities to grow?

And yes, what's intelligent for you might be too dumb for me. It might depend on our respective circles.

Afterall, opinion is like an a*hole. Everyone's got one.

i m a hindu but i completely agree on this part that hinduism should not be imposed on other indic religions. every religion should be recognized & respected individually even though we find traces of hinduism in other indic religions.

Sorry, But Hinduism is not imposed on other indic religion. The highest court
in the land might have held that Hindutva is a way of life and
not a method of worship and ruled that it is not inconsistent
with secularism.

Hinduism Dosen't mean that you are Hindu or muslim or you belong to any particular religion. Hinduism is a way of life.

Blabbering BS. Many European countries have sizable number of minorities. And you can be of same religion and still be minority (like Catholics in US). To claim that we are special is sinister at best. When modern India was born, size of Indian minority was actually much smaller. We have copied and pasted European laws while creating our constitution, our judicial system and our legislative/executive branches of government. Religious appeasement (not just minority) is nothing more than a political tool used since the creation of nation for political gain. Any country where government "edits" constitution to appease a section of people is not secular by any measure. That's flagrant violation of law. How is that same minority feels more secure in west and have more opportunities to grow?

And yes, what's intelligent for you might be too dumb for me. It might depend on our respective circles.

Afterall, opinion is like an a*hole. Everyone's got one.

Bingo. You nailed it.

Exactly. Unlike some across the border I am not in any way ashamed that my ancestors were/could have been Hindu. Much to the contrary, I appreciate the centuries of learning and perspectives that Hinduism has collected and which has enriched my religion and my culture. But at the same time I would like to be known as a Sikh without some one trying to remind me that my way of living and my religion is just an extension of the Hindu religion and has none or little significance on its own. And this is my primary bone of contention with the Hindutva lobbysts.

Please, this is not that Khalistan thread..! This is about Indian Definition of Secularism. Don't go off topic.

I think they have the leadership to look for. They are generally quite hard working and creative.

The problem they face is because of the ghetto they live in.

Look at Sikhs, after 1984 they spread to many unchartered territory and live among people where they should have the biggest fear.

If you go to some small towns in Odisha, you will find them as the richest and most respected business man.

They just need to understand the secular values in the ordinary Hindu Indians is ingrained to such an extent that they think it is the real Hindusim. They don't need to feel unsafe among ordinary hindus. The main danger is from their monotony of ghetto life.

The Hinduism the Sanghis talk are based on agenda and fortunately they are fringe.

I wouldn't go too far in comparing Muslims with Sikhs. The Sikhs dont have to live with the baggage of being a foreign religion and of their 'ancestors' destroying temples and converting masses forcibly. What I am trying to get at here is that there might be some lingering and underlying resentment against the Muslim community that debilitates their progress.

Sorry, But Hinduism is not imposed on other indic religion. The highest court
in the land might have held that Hindutva is a way of life and
not a method of worship and ruled that it is not inconsistent
with secularism.

Hinduism Dosen't mean that you are Hindu or muslim or you belong to any particular religion. Hinduism is a way of life.

That might have been true in 1000 AD but modern Hinduism is much religion as Islam is and people too dumb to know the difference.

Please, this is not that Khalistan thread..! This is about Indian Definition of Secularism. Don't go off topic.

where did he talked abt khalistan????????? he was referring that Hinduism should not be imposed on any other religion even though it seems like one.

LOL..This is downright sinister.

"We Indians are that secular"

LOL. Just like we invented our own English, now we are coining a new meaning for secularism too!

He is trying to portray the passive tendencies of majority as "secularism".

He is worse than "Modi".

Oh...is that so? I don't think it is sinister....it is just an opinion not going to hurt anybody....oh..sorry for hurting your dream ....

So what is your prescription of the behavior of majority that should reflect secularism?

Yeah, we are Heterogeneous Country. the secular platform condemns the
slogan "justice for all, appeasement of none" as a perfidious
attempt to deny equality to the minorities. Appeasement of a few
and justice for none is a more secular programme than justice for
all and appeasement of none.
I am kind of pained to see what you're trying to say here. Let me put it this way - Just as BJP's communal politics is unjustified, so is Congress' pseudo-secular and appeasement politics.

Take an Example. If America attacks us and destroys Golden Temple and build a church there, And after some struggle, we overcome their power, them wouldn't you build Golden temple again at that place?? Ayodhya is our most holy place for god sake.

That is a very flawed logic. I surely wouldn't destroy the church and re-build the Golden Temple after 500 years!!! Especially if I know that the Christians (my fellow countrymen now) who probably pay obeisance at that particular church have done me no harm.

That might have been true in 1000 AD but modern Hinduism is much religion as Islam is and people too dumb to know the difference.

i m too fed up of this B.S that hinduism is way of life & blah blah blah . Hinduism is just a religion like other religions. ppl who believe in this sh1t that hinduism is way of life are those who want to impose hinduism on all indians.

where did he talked abt khalistan????????? he was referring that Hinduism should not be imposed on any other religion even though it seems like one.

To think that we still have religions in 21st century:)

So what is your prescription of the behavior of majority that should reflect secularism?

There is no prescription specifically for Majority or Minority -

The only prescription for all - STFU and obey the Indian Law which should be modified into the Uniform Civil Code - a single law for all Indians irrespective of your religious affliation.

Why are you always putting the burden of secularism on majority ? We don't have any extra baggage to prove it. Every religion should behave within the confines of the law.

@ Swati, Nalwa - Please guys we have already covered the Ayodhya topic before in this thread itself.

Who decides what is hypocrisy?
Can you decide and define it for me?
Do you really believe that Indians like me need assistant from people like you to form opinion? After all we are a democracy and we can dream till we realize the same through the power of democratic process.

Ok, fine.. it isn't hypocrisy for you, but it's hypocrisy for me.

Back
Top Bottom