What's new

Rajoana Hanging case,Punjab on alert,a curious case of Indian system

Tell me why it has not happened due to strategic voting of musims against BJP. Has it united hindus to vote BJP?
Dude let's not divert the topic...I have the explanation but it will be long and off topic...However just on a small level it has more to do with BJP confusion to get over the communal party tag and become a secular party vs to keep the tag like that...Having said that i agree that Indian voters have also matured...

Nope. Even during communal frenzy of 90s along with charisma of Vajpayee, BJP barely got few seats ahead of congress but nowhere near majority.
Again BJP emergence as a national party and the time-frames involved are point of scrutiny before we conclude what you are saying...Also keep in mind...After 84 Congress won with majority that no one has been able to match...Similarly we have an example in Gujrat...Gives an impression that there is still communal mindset there...

Anyhow let's not discuss it any further as we will end up going Off Topic...

Those who are giving reasons of brutality by state for his terrorism, fair enough. They should judge maoists, ulfa, kashmir militants in same light, and they should be pardoned en masse.

The issue is not whether he killed a CM or the CM was an unpleasant guy, as the verdict has already been announced.
You can ask for review (if not already done)by supreme court or ask for mercy from president.

About bhagat singh, he is my hero. I think it is an insult to compare him with bhagat singh but then if this person wants to be martyr let him be.
There are enough educated sikhs to understand difference between bhindranwale and bhagat singh. Rest of them can carry on.

the guy who attaked parliament building is still not hanged.. kasab is not hanged. both being muslims. lots of people were happy when beant singh was killed. this guy is heor for many sikhs. if this goes on things will change in punjab. i m pretty sure about this.

The problem in hanging afzal guru and gang is apparently that all previous death row prisoners need to be hanged first. "first come first serve" apparently".

and criminals deserve their punishment.

one mistake should not elad to another. granting clemency to killers of the PM was a mistake. lets not repeat the istake and grant clemency to the killer of a CM

Dude let's not divert the topic...I have the explanation but it will be long and off topic...However just on a small level it has more to do with BJP confusion to get over the communal party tag and become a secular party vs to keep the tag like that...Having said that i agree that Indian voters have also matured...

Again BJP emergence as a national party and the time-frames involved are point of scrutiny before we conclude what you are saying...Also keep in mind...After 84 Congress won with majority that no one has been able to match...Similarly we have an example in Gujrat...Gives an impression that there is still communal mindset there...

Anyhow let's not discuss it any further as we will end up going Off Topic...
you are right about gujrat, I have reservation about hindus ever being able to be pan indian vote bank, but you are right again, should not divert from topic. Thanks.

The problem in hanging afzal guru and gang is apparently that all previous death row prisoners need to be hanged first. "first come first serve" apparently".

one mistake should not elad to another. granting clemency to killers of the PM was a mistake. lets not repeat the istake and grant clemency to the killer of a CM

Context is the key word here. You do not prosecute anybody for police excesses or the 84 riots, then somebody is bound to take the law into their own hands. Nows the chance to make up for it in some way by releasing him.

Not is was not a mistake. It was not done because she is hindu, it is based on humanitarian ground also because she ASKED FOR IT.
How the hell you will get clemency without asking?

Those who are giving reasons of brutality by state for his terrorism, fair enough. They should judge maoists, ulfa, kashmir militants in same light, and they should be pardoned en masse.

Is there anyone who said that he should be pardoned??? Where did you get this nonsense from??? Atleast get a grasp on the issue before making such comments...

The issue is not whether he killed a CM or the CM was an unpleasant guy, as the verdict has already been announced.
You can ask for review (if not already done)by supreme court or ask for mercy from president.

About bhagat singh, he is my hero. I think it is an insult to compare him with bhagat singh but then if this person wants to be martyr let him be.
There are enough educated sikhs to understand difference between bhindranwale and bhagat singh. Rest of them can carry on.

I feel sorry for your knowledge on the subject..Anyhow there are scores of argument right on this thread..Give it a try before writing again...

Sorry to say but this is epic wrong...On one hand you are justifying acts of Beant Singh but on the same side you are ridiculing act of this chap who killed him due to outrage..Why are you doing this??? Are you saying that the state which is suffering from terrorism has the right to kill innocents in order to curb terrorism???

This chap was a police officer, not some poor innocent boy getting the rough end of the stick. His act was a in support of the Khalistan movement & not as suggested an act in support of those who died in the violence. He accepted guilt & has shown no remorse, what there do you think warrants a commutation?

Insurgencies are bloody business, no insurgency is won without ruthlessness. These kind of pipe dreams happen nowhere, if one were to go by your argument, we might as well kiss all troubled areas goodbye. No one has ever defeated insurgencies anywhere without being harsh at times. Your argument that other crimes have not been punished can never be accepted as an excuse for these terrorist attacks. Beant Singh was elected by the people of Punjab, no such claim can be made of the scum who killed him. No cases have ever been made, no charges proved that directly implicate an assassinated elected chief minister. Bit like blaming MMS for all the killings that happen by security forces anywhere in India. Just because the murderers during the partition got away, can the same be used as an excuse for a Hindu killing Muslims or Muslims killing hindus?

This guy is worth not in the least of a commutation, I don't buy this manufactured argument that Punjab will burn etc. If the guy wants a pardon, let him ask for it & we will see where it goes. Politicians & other vested interests don't impress me much with their hollow threats. Stupid in my view, since all you are doing is encouraging people to take up acts of terrorism since you can always use this self serving argument in your defence.

Context is the key word here. You do not prosecute anybody for police excesses or the 84 riots, then somebody is bound to take the law into their own hands. Nows the chance to make up for it in some way by releasing him.
Tell me why same argument cant be used by ULFA and Kashmir militants.
There is high level of brutality in kashmir and NE( I have repeatedly said this in another thread, although most people seem to gang up and say army is right), why not forgive all of them.
To get pardon, you have to ask for it first. If not him, his family members, well wishers should ask him to, you cannot make mockery of system just because you were wronged.

This is not a bollywood villian-raped-my-sister-hence-killing-is-okey story.

Is there anyone who said that he should be pardoned??? Where did you get this nonsense from??? Atleast get a grasp on the issue before making such comments...

I feel sorry for your knowledge on the subject..Anyhow there are scores of argument right on this thread..Give it a try before writing again...
Cant be bothers to read through 5 pages. Give me a link of a news source if that gives more info. :)
I am basing my judgement based on bbc story.
BBC News - Appeals in India over Rajoana hanging

And I suppose the correct way to get justice for all those on the opposite side is to kill a lot of chaps on this side & claim that very same ground as an argument.

This argument holds no ground...You are comparing terrorist with state...Terrorist has no constitutional jurisdiction to respect...However state cannot and shouldn't forget that part...A terrorist will not hesitate to kill innocents to prove a point...If state follow the norm then what is the difference???

You missed the point..if Sikhs unite against congress then this will be a fodder for getting votes on communal ground from orthodox Hindus...

Balls,

You have no clue man.Why ll Hindus cote for the Congress?Hindus and Sikhs are not polarized at all,by the way.

Tell me why same argument cant be used by ULFA and Kashmir militants.
There is high level of brutality in kashmir and NE( I have repeatedly said this in another thread, although most people seem to gang up and say army is right), why not forgive all of them.
To get pardon, you have to ask for it first. If not him, his family members, well wishers should ask him to, you cannot make mockery of system just because you were wronged.

This is not a bollywood villian-raped-my-sister-hence-killing-is-okey story.

Perhaps because it didn't happen with your family member !

The system was mocked the day the state decided to take up extra judicial methods.

Kashmir, NE, Naxals do deserve a political rather than a military solution.

Well all things said and done, the Rajoana case shows that there are still festering wounds on the Sikh psychic, directly or indirectly caused by the events of the last 30 years. It again points to fault-lines in our democracy. Sometimes the state forgets its own principles and its tough to differentiate between the state and the criminal. You might say the Sikhs are unpatriotic or you may say they are the most patriotic, but wrongs were committed by the state, excesses were carried out and rights were tramples upon.

This may not be evident from the relative prosperity of Punjab, but deep within many Sikh youth hold grudges. They might simply be busy with carrying on with the business of life but scratch the surface and emotions will burst out. Almost everybody who saw the 80s knows a budding student, a bright scholar or a family member or a neighbor who picked up a gun and ended up in an encounter. Or another who was picked up late by the police, never to be seen again. And indirect result is the continued unabated migration of Jatt Sikhs, the backbone of Punjab. Stemming from a relative mistrust of the sate, a sense of alienation and of course stories of the better life abroad, the Jatt youth at some level do not trust they will find reasonable employment in India. And about 99% of Sikhs abroad share feelings that could be describes as unpatriotic. And these people are closely linked with their brethren back home. So what they feel and express is bound to impact what Sikhs in India feel.

I only hope the govt./state/people in power can learn from their mistakes and avoid such a turn of events in the future. Punjab was irreversibly changed in the 80s, hope the same doesn't happen for any other state or community.

what do u see as the solution,paaji?

IMO,we have long moved on and the only problem now is the Canaddawale Jattan,many of them who have not seen partition,who dont know the background of the Doaba and the current realities,still living in the world of late 19th century fuelling hatred all the time.Dont you think that also has something to do with this pent up emotions under the surface?

Back
Top Bottom