What's new

Pashto to be official language: Sikandar Sherpao

In India 1950s-1960s we too faced lot many issues on language. It was permanently solved with language based states, 14 official languages(now its 22). Critics said it would be fatal for India but they were proved wrong.

:blink:

I was asking something else; I'm all for the linguistic identity of the people being nurtured but not at the expense of significant minorities of other linguistic groups living within every single Province of Pakistan ! Instead of creating One Official Language for a Province let it be Urdu & English as is the case for the rest of Pakistan & instead make one 'regional language' of choice to be made compulsory for everyone to choose from; so that the Pashto speakers in KPK can pick Pashto, the Hindkowans of KPK can pick that & so on & so forth for some of the other smaller ethno-linguistic groups be it Potohari, Gojri, Saraiki or even Baluchi ! Let this method be employed across the length & breadth of Pakistan within reasonable bounds.

Why not as a school subject for kids. In Andhra and TN, these languages are taught in every school and local people mostly read newspaper in these language.

Language identity is built across centuries and more you try to suppress it, more it will evolve.

It is already in schools over here in KP however we feel it is difficult and a hurdle in getting good marks simple as that we prefer professional degrees which can earn us good jobs.

As a compulsory subject for all or as an elective for those who wish to elect one regional language out of 3-4 others ?

In government schools it is either a compulsory subject in case the medium is english or it is tamil medium.

And in private schools the medium of instruction is english with choice of either Hindi or Tamil as second language (in which case most students prefer Tamil) or both english and tamil are compulsory with hindi as third language.

It is already in schools over here in KP however we feel it is difficult and a hurdle in getting good marks simple as that we prefer professional degrees which can earn us good jobs.

what does learning to write in mother tongue has to do with good jobs ? :what:

I had Tamil as my second language till 12th and still I got into a good college and then a good job.

I mean if students study Pashtu as a subject in an english medium school what is the issue ? How come 99.9% cant write in Pashto ?

The whole politics of jinnah was on the weak idea that muslims of subcontinent is a nation. But the ground reality is that pakistan is a federation of nations, not a single one. If you waiting for these different nations to intermix with each other to form a homogeneous one nation, then you have to wait for not 100 years but thousands of years.
Any how what importance of mother tongue has to do any thing with disintegrity of pakistan? Did you people forget the lesson of east pakistan? You denied them their linguistic and cultural identity , and you try to blackmail them with typical islam card, but they still chose their identity and they are still better muslims.

Why i have a suspicion that you are Afghan not Pakistani?
Too many Afghan refugees spread anti Pakistan sentiments while posing as Pakistani.

In government schools it is either a compulsory subject in case the medium is english or it is tamil medium.

And in private schools the medium of instruction is english with choice of either Hindi or Tamil as second language (in which case most students prefer Tamil) or both english and tamil are compulsory with hindi as third language.

Yes that element of choice is what I'm talking about - Let them choose what they want instead of forcefully shoving down their throats the dominant language of the land just because we're the majority here & its our prerogative to define this province for what it is & for the rest of you to conform !

As a compulsory subject for all or as an elective for those who wish to elect one regional language out of 3-4 others ?

i will tell you my personal experience.i have stayed in gujarat and maharashtra.

in cbse boards(centralised) when we reach 5th standard,we have an option of taking either sanskrit,french or the regional language of the state.

and then again we have to choose between hindi(compulsory subject from 1st standard) and the other extra language(i choose hindi)).

whereas in state board schools,regional language is compulsory,along with hindi.

what does learning to write in mother tongue has to do with good jobs ? :what:

I had Tamil as my second language till 12th and still I got into a good college and then a good job.

I mean if students study Pashtu as a subject in an english medium school what is the issue ? How come 99.9% cant write in Pashto ?

Second Language is selective subject same is here not an issue and has nothing to do with going to good school college as long as you have good grads

English medium schools dont teach Pashto. Govt Run schools do teach Pashto here BUT the students are NOT interested hence they just crame for exams at primary level and at higher levels they do NOT select it as languages have NO scop for JOBS.

And oh you might had got job on basis on a professional degree in a post graduate degree in Tamil literature.

isnt it?

i will tell you my personal experience.i have stayed in gujarat and maharashtra.

in cbse boards(centralised) when we reach 5th standard,we have an option of taking either sanskrit,french or the regional language of the state.

and then again we have to choose between hindi(compulsory subject from 1st standard) and the other extra language(i choose hindi)).

whereas in state board schools,regional language is compulsory,along with hindi.

This is the same case here.

however since we found regional language as difficult and nobody was interested neither we found teachers for it hence parents were more for doing it away with at Primary school level.

I prefer for my country what you went through & not the compulsion the State Board Schools would impose upon you but then again if the Provinces in India are created on linguistic lines I'm assuming you won't have significant minorities belonging to other ethno-linguistic groups per Province; however this isn't the case with Pakistan we've got linguistic minorities going into the millions to the tens of millions in most of our Provinces.

English medium schools dont teach Pashto.

That is plain wrong. They should teach Pasto or atleast offer that to interested students.

Govt Run schools do teach Pashto here BUT the students are NOT interested hence they just crame for exams at primary level and at higher levels they do NOT select it as languages have NO scop for JOBS.

What is there to cram in a language subject ? I still dont understand..And even if they cram they must know to write na ? Or how else do they give their exams ?

And oh you might had got job on basis on a professional degree in a post graduate degree in Tamil literature.

isnt it?

I said till I was in school we had Tamil as a subject..it did not count towards my entrance marks for college..but still as a subject it was there..

I prefer for my country what you went through & not the compulsion the State Board Schools would impose upon you but then again if the Provinces in India are created on linguistic lines I'm assuming you won't have significant minorities belonging to other ethno-linguistic groups per Province; however this isn't the case with Pakistan we've got linguistic minorities going into the millions to the tens of millions in most of our Provinces.

this is something i really applaud nehru for.

Bhai log let majority languages in a province be taught along with english or urdu ( i prefer mother tongue and english) . quite a few of our Tamil , telegu , Kannada and malyali guys are trilinguals . They can speak their mother tongue , Hindi and English( and they love old monk but thats for naswar concer not here) . Never gag a language which is older than the country itself . India implemented it and things worked like a miracle . If we would have shoved Hindi down everyones throat INDIA WOULD HAVE FRAGMENTED LONG BACK . Mother tongue us important .

That is plain wrong. They should teach Pasto or atleast offer that to interested students.

Parents who go for Private English medium schools dont wish for that and the schools hence are also not offering.

What is there to cram in a language subject ? I still dont understand..And even if they cram they must know to write na ? Or how else do they give their exams ?

I said till I was in school we had Tamil as a subject..it did not count towards my entrance marks for college..but still as a subject it was there..

I think you failed to understand the entire discussion. The discussion is NOT about teaching regional language as a subject (linguistic subject) it is already there.

Some people want to thrust the regional languages on us for studying every other subject ranging from Physics to Chemistry and accounting and so on which is where NOBODY even from NATIVE language want to make it so.

@KS would do jihad if we shove Hindi Down tamil people's throat j/k :rofl: Mother tounge keeps you in touch with your rich culture !!!! . Tamil is as old or even older than sanskrit ( i am bad at linguistics , correct me if i am wrong ) . Sanksrit is almost dead whereas tamil mis thriving !!

There are and they go to central board instead of state board for education . Both complete each other instead of refuting each other .

I think you failed to understand the entire discussion. The discussion is NOT about teaching regional language as a subject (linguistic subject) it is already there.

Some people want to thrust the regional languages on us for studying every other subject ranging from Physics to Chemistry and accounting and so on which is where NOBODY even from NATIVE language want to make it so.

No I got that thing which I myself oppose.English is the language of science and hence physics, chemistry biology etc must be taught in English..

I just wanted to know how the hell it is possible for 99% of the people to not be able to write in their mother tongue..

@KS would do jihad if we shove Hindi Down tamil people's throat j/k :rofl: .

We would invade Dilli and plant our flag on red fort if Hindi is shoved down our throats. :-)

@KS would do jihad if we shove Hindi Down tamil people's throat j/k :rofl: Mother tounge keeps you in touch with your rich culture !!!! . Tamil is as old or even older than sanskrit ( i am bad at linguistics , correct me if i am wrong ) . Sanksrit is almost dead whereas tamil mis thriving !!

There are and they go to central board instead of state board for education . Both complete each other instead of refuting each other .

So when are you going to allow pundits to read mantras in Tamil :D

Back
Top Bottom