What's new

Pakistan's acquisition of the U-214

If the Germans are not budging and this deal is to hang in limbo, then we should move on. PN will be going to France next I presume to locate that quality we need, before we go into our China routine. Quality is necessary but Quantity is very very important and China is the best supplier in this case.

Quantity as quality? I take your point, but do note that PAF has does more than just go for quantity, this JF!7 is on it's way to being a rather potent platform, there is much excitment about it --

We can't produce quality? I don't know about that - Turks have shown the way - sensor suites, propulsion - I'm not suggesting that our production capablity is such that we will be prodcuing U214 comparable boats but I am suggesting that just like Kamra did not begin with JF17 or that HIT did not begin with Al-Khalid, Naval programs be thought of in those terms, with specific firms specializing in particular technologies.

Sometimes I think the Indian simply does not realize just how good his hostility has been to refine our thinking about our defense production capablities.

as far as my brain work, the right choic for the time will be to go for some chines ubs and when the plotical situation get to stable then turn back toward the U214 or even if something better is on option.

regards!

well let us come back to point as non of us would like to tun this informative thread into a battle place so:

the biggest plus the U214 deal will offer and prhaps the one due to which PN seem reluctant to let the deal go is the Turkish influence in the deal.
Pakistan and Turkey can co develop numereous modification.

for this reason, the french subs were denied and the Chines may come in as an alternative as they aslo provide this facility.

regards!

well let us come back to point as non of us would like to tun this informative thread into a battle place so:

the biggest plus the U214 deal will offer and prhaps the one due to which PN seem reluctant to let the deal go is the Turkish influence in the deal.
Pakistan and Turkey can co develop numereous modification.

for this reason, the french subs were denied and the Chines may come in as an alternative as they aslo provide this facility.

regards!

Yes the 6 U214s Turkey has ordered will all have Turkish weapons and C4I systems. So these could also be integrated into the Pakistani subs if they choose to go with those.

Yes the 6 U214s Turkey has ordered will all have Turkish weapons and C4I systems. So these could also be integrated into the Pakistani subs if they choose to go with those.

Systems are not the problem. Maybe we can order 3 Subs and then have one fitted with Turkish systems.

Problem is, PN is not showing any enthusiasm and it yet needs to be seen how the new Chinese SSKs compare to U 214.

welll seems like navy has been sleeping since 2001 dont know about it might be the regime change in govt and navy had made this deal on just papers

Systems are not the problem. Maybe we can order 3 Subs and then have one fitted with Turkish systems.

Problem is, PN is not showing any enthusiasm and it yet needs to be seen how the new Chinese SSKs compare to U 214.

that wont be happening,
fitting one with turkish systme and two with german one will effectively make them two seprate submarines and operating such different classes of subs wont be a wise option.

i hope you get my point! :cheers:
regards!

U never know !
PN wants 7 subs! maybe 3 or 4 french or german rest can be chinese modified subs!

that is the case...

the initial idea was to get the three U214. get them inducted by 2015 and then go for four chiines sub (may have been nuclear boats).
now with the U214 being held, PN seem to be shifting the priorities list. now we emay see the Chines ones earlier then the Westren one.(in this case they will be conventional subs)
one point to be noted is that the westren deal have nit been killed once and for all. this showns that PN might well go back to Germany once the Chienes are inducted provided the situation get more favour able by that time. :pakistan:

i personally hope PN do get the U214 and seriously dont like the deal to be totally gone...

regards!

One of the main delays of Pakistani U-214 decission was the waiting on the Greek government decission whether to renew a deal with TKMS or not. TKMS had cancelled the contract with Greece after payment conflicts that left 3 almost finished U-214 submarines in dry docks at the Skaramangas shipyard in Greece. For Pakistan this meant an oportunity to acquire these submarines within a short time for a strongly reduced price, however on 31 august the Greek government bogged down on the last day of the TKMS ultimatom set to reach a renewed contract.
Unfortunately for Pakistan Greece signed a new contract to acquire those submarines.

On the other hand Turkey waited also for signing the contract for 6 U-214 submarines (strategical decission taking, wait and see what Greece was going to do).

So we can expect now medio 2011 Turkey and Pakistan to sign contracts for 6 (for Turkey) and 3 (for Pakistan) submarines with TKMS.

Turkey have signed deal for there six U214 way back in november 2009.
PN didnt went up to join it so i think it is down the drain now!

Turkish U214 deal
The Turkish government signs a EUR 2.5 billion ($3.5 billion equivalent) contract to co-produce 6 of HDW’s U-214 class submarines, with HDW’s fuel cells for air independent propulsion. The submarines will be built at the military-owned Golcuk Shipyard near Izmit, and the expected delivery date for the first U-214TN submarines remains 2015.

According to Turk Net Haber, HDW will pre-assemble key structural and mechanical parts in Germany, as well as classified elements such as the fuel cells and propulsion system. All electronic and weapon systems, including sensors, communications, and data processing systems, will be designed and produced in Turkey. Defence Minister Vecdi Gonul has reportedly stated that Turkish industrial participation would be worth around 80% of the deal’s value.

The order lengthens HDW’s lead in air-independent propulsion systems. Once these submarines are fielded, there will then be 36 submarines with HDW fuel cell propulsion systems in operation world-wide.
ThyssenKrupp release
Today’s Special: Turkey Subs

regards!

Back
Top Bottom