What's new

Pakistan losing Rice exports to India

People, especially my Indian friends - lets not make this another Indo-Pakistan fight. Basmati without doubt is a product of the sub-continent and was grown in the larger Punjab for centuries. Post-independence many other states adopted it including UP, Rajasthan and Bihar. And we stole a march by getting the GI. But the fact remains that it was originally grown in Punjab, Pakistan Punjab included. So Basmati is as much theirs as ours.

Our Kala Shah Kaku Rice Research Institute and PARC have been producing varieties recognized by EU as our own "original" ones including the famous "Super Kernel Basmati".

It isn't an Indian product, It isn't a Pakistani product. It is a product of the fertile lands of Punajb.

Our Kala Shah Kaku Rice Research Institute and PARC have been producing varieties recognized by EU as our own "original" ones including the famous "Super Kernel Basmati".

It isn't an Indian product, It isn't a Pakistani product. It is a product of the fertile lands of Punajb.

Since it belongs to Punjab, I think the better option is having a joint patent for Basmati.

ohh now we are fighting over rice lol when will this madness end

Since it belongs to Punjab, I think the better option is having a joint patent for Basmati.

That is not possible, even in a dream world.

Our case in Delhi HC is precisely what happens with cross-border agricultural patents. We've been using "Super Basmati" for exports to EU since '98 and it is recognized there by that name and given a duty concession.

Indian traders started selling "Super Basmati" in the middle east. As there is no recognition of selling name in that region, there could be no control.

Hence GoP and REAP filed a petition in Delhi HC deeming it an unfair trade practice.

In the end, we'll have our own names, you'll have your own in addition to the GI.

That is not possible, even in a dream world.

Our case in Delhi HC is precisely what happens with cross-border agricultural patents. We've been using "Super Basmati" for exports to EU since '98 and it is recognized there by that name and given a duty concession.

Indian traders started selling "Super Basmati" in the middle east. As there is no recognition of selling name in that region, there could be no control.

Hence GoP and REAP filed a petition in Delhi HC deeming it an unfair trade practice.

In the end, we'll have our own names, you'll have your own in addition to the GI.

So what is the current status of the patent in international and Delhi high court cases.?

I tried searching but couldnt get any credible infomation.

You can read the same thing from the above posted interview. The BGA is saying that the REAP guys sell their product in Dubai to Indian sellers and it is known that it is stamped India then because we do not have a GI.

Thanks for reminding me. Thats what i had learned from my cousin who have are rice exporters. It ends up in Dubai from where all the Indian cheating starts

So what is the current status of the patent in international and Delhi high court cases.?

I tried searching but couldnt get any credible infomation.

Last time I heard it was hanging in the middle. Been 2 years now. Will try to scourge some info.

Thanks for reminding me. Thats what i had learned from my cousin who have are rice exporters. It ends up in Dubai from where all the Indian cheating starts

I wouldn't call it "cheating". Our exporters sell it to them because they don't have a registered variety in addition to the lack of the "brand name". It is our own fault in not capturing the market. How is the Indian exporters selling our rice different to an electronics giant selling a product that was just designed on a computer by it but manufactured entirely a Chinese electronics company? When the Chinese company tries to sell its own (even of higher quality), it does not have that brand name and hence loses in the market. Then it decides to do the brand name's bidding.

Our produce is sold by their name because we never got Super Basmati recognized as a unique variety in the middle east. Ab pachtaey kya howat, jab chirian chug gayein khet.

Elaborate and Explain the cheating part since you have first hand knowledge about the incident.:pop:

:what: And Punjab is in Tambaktu right. dont give us the reason to claim products by elasticities instead of our country

Read my response on the first page to your cheating allegation -
Since it seems that Pakistan doesnt have GI on Basmati rice, Pakistani farmers and exporters find selling it to Indian sellers a way to survive.

For God's sake can you stop using the word 'cheating'. I would rather use the word 'trading'. In cheating there is no money exchange, in trading there is money exchanged between trading partners.

How can Pakistan claim Basmati its 100% Indian. Its like Pakistani exploiting name of India by calling their restaurant as Indian.

We are talking about the Pakistani grown best quality Super Kernel Basmati which the Indian thieves are claiming as their.

:tdown:

Read my response on the first page to your cheating allegation -

:) yeh i read it but how does it justify Indian stamping on Pakistani rice and claim the credit for best Basmati rice in the world.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom