What's new

Pakistan army's exercise at Khudai range.

we should never underestimate India' T-90.they have many more tanks than us,and i know there all tanks are night capable.so please stop telling they cant fight at night.we have to be practical in our approach,to analyse.our AL-KHALID is no doubt a very good tank,but the real problem what i know is its technology is pretty outdated.many people can claim what the hell i m talking about? but as an engineer i have known its components.its a mean machine,very tough,but the chinease
technology is pretty unreliable.we need to have our own R&D.

Not all tanks, the old T-series not yet upgraded to the Al Zarrar configuration aren't night seeing capable.

AKs, T-80UDs, Al Zarrar are night capable, not much sure about the other variants.

Here is the list of Thermal Imaging FCS being used on PA tanks

AL-KHALID - Chinese TI (although Army is seeking a western TI)

AL-ZARRAR - Italian TI (Galileo Avionica)

T-85IIAP - French TI (Thales)

T-80UD - French TI (Thales)

T59, T69 - Trials recently conducted between, Chinese, Turkish, Italian and French TI systems. Most likely Italian TI will be selected.

Here is the list of Thermal Imaging FCS being used on PA tanks

AL-KHALID - Chinese TI (although Army is seeking a western TI)

AL-ZARRAR - Italian TI (Galileo Avionica)

T-85IIAP - French TI (Thales)

T-80UD - French TI (Thales)

T59, T69 - Trials recently conducted between, Chinese, Turkish, Italian and French TI systems. Most likely Italian TI will be selected.

i am not an engineer, but why not have a 'standard' TI for all types instead of 3-4 different types - what is the issue here - size - compatability or what?

i am not an engineer, but why not have a 'standard' TI for all types instead of 3-4 different types - what is the issue here - size - compatibility or what?

Mainly; it is always better to have two manufacturers as your suppliers for critical technology such as a TI in order to continually promote price & technology competitiveness & quality. One manufacturer as a standard will lead to monopoly and price increases.

Having said that, yes size of the holes in the hull where these TI's fit are different for different tanks, space inside the tank where the ancillary equipment goes varies from one tank type to the other. Even in T-85IIAP, the internal ancillary space is varying to sheer nightmare of the manufacturer to fit the TI's on each tank requires individual efforts!!

ATCOP is the preferred local partner for Thales and Sohpie from France and Galileo Avionica from Italy is starting manufacture of its TI at the ARDEC in HIT.

Thales currently has an Army contract for 900 Thermal Imaging Systems (signed 2006) while Galileo Avionica have a contract for around 500 Thermal Imaging Systems (signed 2003) most of which have already been installed.

Mainly; it is always better to have two manufacturers as your suppliers for critical technology such as a TI in order to continually promote price & technology competitiveness & quality. One manufacturer as a standard will lead to monopoly and price increases.

Having said that, yes size of the holes in the hull where these TI's fit are different for different tanks, space inside the tank where the ancillary equipment goes varies from one tank type to the other. Even in T-85IIAP, the internal ancillary space is varying to sheer nightmare of the manufacturer to fit the TI's on each tank requires individual efforts!!

ATCOP is the preferred local partner for Thales and Sohpie from France and Galileo Avionica from Italy is starting manufacture of its TI at the ARDEC in HIT.

Thales currently has an Army contract for 900 Thermal Imaging Systems (signed 2006) while Galileo Avionica have a contract for around 500 Thermal Imaging Systems (signed 2003) most of which have already been installed.

And what about the Chinese TI. how good are they ?? Any performance comparison with the western ones ??

Somewhere read on Chinese forum thhat new improved ones are being used in the Type-99s.

I have seen two different shapes of Commander imaging scopes on the AK, one is round shaped and the other one is square shaped, does it means AK is also using two type of such systems.

And what about the Chinese TI. how good are they ?? Any performance comparison with the western ones ??

Somewhere read on Chinese forum thhat new improved ones are being used in the Type-99s.

I have seen two different shapes of Commander imaging scopes on the AK, one is round shaped and the other one is square shaped, does it means AK is also using two type of such systems.

The Chinese TI's recently tested on T-59, T-69 showed promise but they lacked high resolution that is normally achieved by a greater number of detectors and electronic image processing. The western TI's have far better image processing electronics comparatively which is the reason they are preferred over the Chinese.

The 2 types of scope heads that you have seen are the Hunter-Killer Commanders Sight (The Round one) and the Chinese Thermal Imager (The Square one) Sight!! The image from the Chinese TI is also displayed in the Commanders Hunter-Killer Sight for over-ride and fire purposes.

The Chinese TI's recently tested on T-59, T-69 showed promise but they lacked high resolution that is normally achieved by a greater number of detectors and electronic image processing. The western TI's have far better image processing electronics comparatively which is the reason they are preferred over the Chinese.

The 2 types of scope heads that you have seen are the Hunter-Killer Commanders Sight (The Round one) and the Chinese Thermal Imager (The Square one) Sight!! The image from the Chinese TI is also displayed in the Commanders Hunter-Killer Sight for over-ride and fire purposes.

Thanks for the input on the Chinese TI. Hope they make better ones as it will yet another TI in line with the western ones, thus giving us more selection options.

Well yeah I am talking about the Tank Commander sights, which gives it a hunter-killer ability. See the below pics and see, AKs one with the round sights and the other one with a square one.

The round sight

4ad0552ddad3bfaaf9ed449cf50a9c63.jpg

The Square sight

adcb2d2776520051f33827e62e394c02.jpg

aa.jpg (image)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_htvjsmtPrmc/SbBFGAQlcBI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/-5EP5K8Cr4I/s1600-h/aa.jpg

The Peru's new Chinese VT1 tanks, reported to be of Type-90 series or AK specifications:

e190983588b088bbfc3cf3ff57b0f9bc.jpg

So does the difference in Square and Round sights means we are using two kinds of sights or are they two different sights of the Chinese origin.

Thanks for the input on the Chinese TI. Hope they make better ones as it will yet another TI in line with the western ones, thus giving us more selection options.

Well yeah I am talking about the Tank Commander sights, which gives it a hunter-killer ability. See the below pics and see, AKs one with the round sights and the other one with a square one.

The round sight

The Square sight

aa.jpg (image)

aa.jpg (image)

The Peru's new Chinese VT1 tanks, reported to be of Type-90 series or AK specifications:

So does the difference in Square and Round sights means we are using two kinds of sights or are they two different sights of the Chinese origin.

The last pic is of VT-1A chinese export variant not really AL-khalid but the twin brother.

The round sight

The Square sight

aa.jpg (image)

aa.jpg (image)

Yes! The round one on the left of the photo above and under the AA Gun is the 360 deg movable Hunter-Killer-Sight and the square one to the right is the actual Thermal Imager for the gunner. Both have two different TI sets!

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom