What's new

Osmania University beef festival sparks violence

I don't want to turn this delicious discussion into an India-Pakistan thing, and this is a very curious question.

Do you guys have pigs in Pakistan (most dangerous creatures running on the roads incidentally - solid like a brick wall)?

Are non-Muslims allowed to slaughter pigs and eat pork in Pakistan?

I was pleasantly impressed at the alcohol bit, so asking.

P.S. Google says that Islamabad has a wild boar problem and they descend in hoardes on the capital at night to rummage through the garbage bins. Apparently hunting them is a favorite sport of the locals!

I actually meant domesticated pigs reared for consumption.

And how sir did you reach this admirable conclusion ?

Other than some dalits,some tribals and some eastern/ western parts of India, which Hindu/Sikh/Jain eats beef or pork?

Try slaughtering a cow in Rajasthan, and the local Rajputs, Jats, Gujjars will despatch you to afterlife.

If you don't believe me just ask the Meo Muslims in Bharatpur district of Rajasthan about the kind courtesies extended to them on numerous occassion by the Gujjars & Jats on this account.

I also would like to challenge all Indian posters waxing eloquent here about their love of beef to try and see how easy it is getting a house for rent in a typical north indian hindu household after first confessing your beef eating habits to them.

I was hoping it is So. I know some parts of north India are pretty Orthodox with regards to non-veg food. I hope they change and every household there afford Beef steaks which must be considered human rights for Indians . also, every Hindu or Muslim don't bring religious diktats into society.

Beef and Mutton are the Best for a Vegetarian to try. If You are a Rightwing Hindu, Please don't get offended. I don't care for Religions and Sanghies.

--
I have a feeling that, unlike the so called "Vegetarian Hindu" society India is portrayed, the rual India is full of Non-Vegetarian people who will hunt and eat anything. :azn:

I was hoping it is So. I know some parts of north India are pretty Orthodox with regards to non-veg food. I hope they change and every household there afford Beef steaks which must be considered human rights for Indians . also, every Hindu or Muslim don't bring religious diktats into society.

Beef and Mutton are the Best for a Vegetarian to try. If You are a Rightwing Hindu, Please don't get offended. I don't care for Religions and Sanghies.

--
I have a feeling that, unlike the so called "Vegetarian Hindu" society India is portrayed, the rual India is full of Non-Vegetarian people who will hunt and eat anything. :azn:

Buddy its to do with religion why the hell they gonna change? u dont need to be a rightwing Hindu to be vegetarian most of my family are vege through choice.

Why cant the they eat at their home or at some joint??(Most of the people who ate in the campus were not ready to eat at home!! )The "beef eating festival"(LOL) is just another attempt to create rift between Hindus and muslims. Last week some miscreants tried to incite communal tensions by throwing carcass of a cow in a temple located in an ultra-volatile locality .. but public has become more matured this time & barring a few incidents,, by and large the city was peaceful. But the finger of suspicion points to a faction in the congress party.

Why cant the they eat at their home or at some joint?? The "beef eating festival"(LOL) is just another attempt to create rift between Hindus and muslims. Last week some miscreants tried to incite communal tensions by throwing carcass of a cow in a temple located in an ultra-volatile locality .. but public has become more matured this time & barring a few incidents,, by and large the city was peaceful. But the finger of suspicion points to a faction in the congress party.

If this is the basis of why they had this festival - then they should ban it next year. Jeeeez shows how spiteful some people are. If it enflames why do it? One has to respect the emotions and beliefs of all especially when living in a scenario where you maybe annoying your neighbor by disrespecting their religious beliefs.

Unfortunately, most of the good biryani joints here are more Irani than sub-continental. So they will have the bottom masala, but not really spicy.

Man I've missed my lunch today, and this discussion is so not helping!

Irani cuisine has its own merits. Chelo Kabab with rice and Masto khair (Yoghurt with mint)

Yep but its out of respect hence why you won't find beef or pork dishes in 99% of places in UK and I eat in Pakistani food joints once a week for my Lamb keema.

It's the bottom line, yaar. Hardly anyone non-Muslim, voluntarily respects Muslims in the western world.

Irani cuisine has its own merits. Chelo Kabab with rice and Masto khair (Yoghurt with mint)

That's Irani Irani - proper. We have a joint called Sheesha Cafe run by a really chilled out guy called Mehdi. Full sheesha, sitting on the ground, and the works.

What I was referring to is the Indian biryani joints run by Indian families who have recently (within the last 100-200 years) come from Iran and settled here.

They make mainly Indian Muslim food - but the biryani is a little bland. Potatoes, egg etc. Not masaledaar enough!

They do have some good stuff like chicken rotessorie type thing, showarma, etc. as well.

Light of Iran was my favorite college joint, till it was take over by ABN Amro (and now RBS). :cry:

It's the bottom line, yaar. Hardly anyone non-Muslim, voluntarily respects Muslims in the western world.

Respect works both ways there is good and bad people everywhere be it Muslim or Hindu we should just take people for merit. Like as Superkaif was saying to me once and like I do with my muslim friends if we were to order a Pizza we would make sure its not having beef or pork on the toppings but that goes without saying we would even think twice or ask each other we just know.

I am all for a nice juicy steak here or a beef Manchurian with parotta after a old cask rum in Chennai or beef fry with Toddy in Chavakaadu near Trichur. But a beef festival, seriously?? who are they kidding?

I was wondering... What happens in Delhi? They invented Nihari and you can't have Nihari without beef.

Oh and what about Haleem? Haleem can be made of Chicken - a particularly Kashmiri touch to Haleem is Chicken Haleem.

But other than steaks and chops, many desi dishes have a central beef component.

I was wondering... What happens in Delhi? They invented Nihari and you can't have Nihari without beef.

Oh and what about Haleem? Haleem can be made of Chicken - a particularly Kashmiri touch to Haleem is Chicken Haleem.

But other than steaks and chops, many desi dishes have a central beef component.

Nevermind the more elaborate stuff, just thick juicy T-bones will be fine too! :D

Dinner08012011-3 by vcheng552000, on Flickr

==========================

although Haleem is good too:

Dinner 121811-1 by vcheng552000, on Flickr

If this is the basis of why they had this festival - then they should ban it next year. Jeeeez shows how spiteful some people are. If it enflames why do it? One has to respect the emotions and beliefs of all especially when living in a scenario where you maybe annoying your neighbor by disrespecting their religious beliefs.
Since their objectives were met, DEFINITELY next year also they are gonna organize it. The police , college management ,student unions etc etc have warned the organizers that situation is not good and its better if they cancle it...but they didnot pay heed to the police(& Why would they!!) & they paid the price.

It has become a popular, evergreen success formula to win in elections. Incite communal feelings, win votes.

Would like a Delhi walla to confirm, but from what I remember, the entire Jama masjid area is a foodie paradise and you can get anything there - bada, chota, chicken, fish, with a variety of really innovative dishes of the entrails and organs as well. Nothing gets wasted.

Back
Top Bottom