What's new

Only 25 pc in India claim Hindi is their mother tongue

The class war is between Bharat and India. Modi's elevation itself was a shocker for the Brown Sahibs because they could not digest the fact that the new PM is not one of them. Now they are fearing loosing their social standing and their proximity to the power centres.

Class war!!! All local/regional languages are as much "Bharat" as Hindi, and all states promote local language and English, how learning Hindi makes one more "Bharatiya"?

And I I repeat it is better for the government to converse over the social media in Hindi which is understood by at least 50% of India's population than in English which is understood by less than 5%. It will be even better if more Indian languages are included. And no, English is is not an Indian language.

By your own statement at least 50% of our population won't understand Hindi in social media, but 100% of them would understand English since they are on social media, and that's why English should be used in social media, not Hindi.

If you consider him calling Hindi an inferior language to Tamil and calling his Northern compatriots 'slaves of Central Asian Turks' as acceptable in any way, then please end this discussion right here.

It was not required I agree. I am just ticked off by the attitude of some Tamil members here who denigrate North Indians on this forum without any provocation as happened in this thread, of course much to the glee of Pakistanis. I have had my experiences in the last 4 years as a member.

Perhaps you should have seen what Baajey had to comment on South Indian languages, something about pebbles in a bottle. So it is not like it is a one-sided insult thrown on North Indians. How many times I have heard you say Tamils hate Hindi just because they want to hold on to Tamil.

From being called a kala madrassi to anda gunda thanda pani to idli vada dosa sambhar, there is more than enough insult heaped on South Indians all the time, so get off that high horse.

Majority of Indian businesses are local.

Oh come on!! I really don't want to waste my energy on this. English is much more useful for livelihood than you can imagine, just calm down and get over this brown sahib white sahib rhetoric and try to grasp the importance of English in today's world.

Class war!!! All local/regional languages are as much "Bharat" as Hindi, and all states promote local language and English, how learning Hindi makes one more "Bharatiya"?

He is talking in a different context entirely. It is about the snobbery by English speaking Delhi elites versus the common people there.

By your own statement at least 50% of our population won't understand Hindi in social media, but 100% of them would understand English since they are on social media, and that's why English should be used in social media, not Hindi.

English is neither a local nor a regional language in India.
You are highly mistaken if you think that only those who understand English are on the social media.

Oh come on!! I really don't want to waste my energy on this. English is much more useful for livelihood than you can imagine, just calm down and get over this brown sahib white sahib rhetoric and try to grasp the importance of English in today's world.

I think we are living in parallel universes. Running local businesses in English is really a funny proposition. My cousin's wife learned Kannada because she needed to interact with her son's babysitter, she is an English teacher so I guess English did not work.

Perhaps you should have seen what Baajey had to comment on South Indian languages, something about pebbles in a bottle. So it is not like it is a one-sided insult thrown on North Indians. How many times I have heard you say Tamils hate Hindi just because they want to hold on to Tamil.

From being called a kala madrassi to anda gunda thanda pani to idli vada dosa sambhar, there is more than enough insult heaped on South Indians all the time, so get off that high horse.

I am talking about this forum, not outside. Even outside it goes both ways. As for this thread watch post 55 where Sriram calls Tamil superior to Hindi. Nobody insulted Tamil before that at least. Oh just noticed, you've thanked that post. No wonder you are just another language supremacist like him. People like you are the problem.

It was not required I agree. I am just ticked off by the attitude of some Tamil members here who denigrate North Indians on this forum without any provocation as happened in this thread, of course much to the glee of Pakistanis. I have had my experiences in the last 4 years as a member.

Leave it mate, there were provocations from both sides, somebody dictated "Learn Hindi or leave India", then came skin colour, language is a sensitive issue and we should not venture into that area unnecessarily, we need to learn from others mistakes. :-)

I am talking about this forum, not outside. Even outside it goes both ways. As for this thread watch post 55 where Sriram calls Tamil superior to Hindi. Nobody insulted Tamil before that at least. Oh just noticed, you've thanked that post. No wonder you are just another language supremacist like him. People like you are the problem.

Fact of the matter is Tamil is a classic language of India/Bharat. While spoken Hindi is mostly urdu. I do not speak Tamil, just understand the language a bit superficially, but I speak quite good Hindi. So you are wrong in your assumption of a Tamil supremacist here too.

Even I am talking about this forum. Was it not Arya Desa who said those who do not speak Hindi should leave India. Have met many Hindi speaking people like that too, who wanted to dissolve India if everyone did not agree to speak Hindi.

Fact of the matter is Tamil is a classic language of India/Bharat. While spoken Hindi is mostly urdu. I do not speak Tamil, just understand the language a bit superficially, but I speak quite good Hindi. So you are wrong in your assumption of a Tamil supremacist here too.

Even I am talking about this forum. Was it not Arya Desa who said those who do not speak Hindi should leave India. Have met many Hindi speaking people like that too, who wanted to dissolve India if everyone did not agree to speak Hindi.

Generally speaking non-resident Indians are quite insensitive and usually ignorant on the cultural and other tricky issues. These issues can only be debated by the resident Indians because we are the ones who know the ground reality.

English is neither a local nor a regional language in India.
You are highly mistaken if you think that only those who understand English are on the social media.

I think we are living in parallel universes. Running local businesses in English is really a funny proposition. My cousin's wife learned Kannada because she needed to interact with her son's babysitter, she is an English teacher so I guess English did not work.

Does any of that imply that we don't need to learn English????

Okay, I think learning local language and English is enough for me, if you do not want to learn English then it is your choice, I am nobody to interfere in that.

As for Hindi, it is anyway spreading through entertainment industry, that's enough, there is no need to learn it in depth if it is not your local language.

I will say the same thing to you which I said to him , just because Tamil is older does not make it better. These are both languages which are mother tongues of millions of different people in the country. You won't like it if I tell you that let's revive Sanskrit (another classical language) in India and impose it on all Indians right ? Then respect the sentiments of other language speakers here as well if you expect others to respect yours. Only Tamils don't have sentiments that can be hurt. Others do too.

Fact of the matter is that older language does not equal to a better language. Also Hindi has strong Sanskrit influence with some Persian and Turkish loan words. Does not make it better than any newer language of India. Mother tongue is mother tongue and all mother tongues have to be respected.

Generally speaking non-resident Indians are quite insensitive and usually ignorant on the cultural and other tricky issues. These issues can only be debated by the resident Indians because we are the ones who know the ground reality.

I know, that is why I did not bother to reply to Arya Desa. But nick-indian has voiced his concern about Tamils "hatred" of Hindi many many times before, so thought should correct that impression.

I will say the same thing to you which I said to him , just because Tamil is older does not make it better. These are both languages which are mother tongues of millions of different people in the country. You won't like it if I tell you that let's revive Sanskrit (another classical language) in India and impose it on all Indians right ? Then respect the sentiments of other language speakers here as well if you expect others to respect yours.

Wrong again. I want Sanskrit to be the link language of India.

Wrong again. I want Sanskrit to be the link language of India.

Most Tamils would not agree for it. Stop going on tangents. I was just asking you to give Hindi due respect as you seem to have for Tamil. If you can't then don't insult it by calling it inferior to Tamil at least. But I guess it's too much to ask of you. I am done here.

Does any of that imply that we don't need to learn English????

Okay, I think learning local language and English is enough for me, if you do not want to learn English then it is your choice, I am nobody to interfere in that.

As for Hindi, it is anyway spreading through entertainment industry, that's enough, there is no need to learn it in depth if it is not your local language.

I bet that 90% of Indians have no real use of English in their daily lives. If there is one language which was ever imposed upon Indians then it was English which was imposed by the Britishers (Lord Macaulay) and this was done deliberately to instill a kind of inferiority complex. Learning another Indian language is not a difficult business for the Indians because of a kind of historical link these Indian languages have with one another. I have got friends whose mother tongue is Hindi/Punjabi etc and who learned languages like Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam within few months.

I am not anti-English but I refuse to accept the status currently given to English and it's speakers in India.

Fact of the matter is that older language does not equal to a better language. Also Hindi has strong Sanskrit influence with some Persian and Turkish loan words. Does not make it better than any newer language of India. Mother tongue is mother tongue and all mother tongues have to be respected.

You are wrong here too. Hindi cannot compete with the classical languages of India.

Most Tamils would not agree for it. Stop going on tangents. I was just asking you to give Hindi due respect as you seem to have for Tamil. If you can't then don't insult it by calling it inferior to Tamil at least. But I guess it's too much to ask of you. I am done here.

What do you mean I am going off in a tangent, when it is you who goes on making wrong assumptions about me and I just refute that. What makes you think I do not respect Hindi considering that is the spoken language at my home?

Back
Top Bottom