What's new

Only 25 pc in India claim Hindi is their mother tongue

I am just giving every mother tongue the respect it deserves. classical or mongrel, doesn't matter. Just like you expect North Indians to give to Tamil. If I was supremacist I would have gone around claiming that somehow Hindi was better than Tamil. You won't see me claiming that because unlike you I am not a narrow minded prejudiced language supremacist . I am sorry you have a hard time having brains and having some sensitivity towards hundreds of million Indians who speak Hindi as their mother tongue.

Mixed.

It is almost like if the Tamil liguistic chauvinists and their Hindi counterparts have the same views on their language.

To me, the Dravidian parties and this Hindu, Hindi, Hindustani people are the same.

flip sides of a coin.

How could I have left if I was born here? You south Indians have a massive inferiority complex towards us. Is Hindi going to make to somehow less dravid?

Actually. come and make me learn Hindi you racist bigot.

COME AND MAKE ME. I will learn Hindi of my volition. If South Indians won't learn Hindi, there is nothing you can do about it.

And speaking of inferirority complex, aren't you that nitwit Punjabi who desperately wants to be white.

If you want force the issue, you can. Until then, you can be a keyboard warrior.

You and your ilk ain't doing jack son. Get it through your thick skull.

Disclaimer: I am not talking about regional issues. This racist gave me a rope to hang him with. So I did.

Hope I didn't cause anybodyelse offense.

So?

Nobody cares. Let's work harder to make this country better than defend/attack this on PDF on this topic.

yes, better to have higher literacy levels, better infrastructure, better roads rather than this manufactured controversy.

Much confuse. There has been NOTHING from the Government about promoting Hindi as the national language or whatever.

A manufactured controversy, fucking hate the Indian media I swear.

@kbd-raaf because it is a manufactured controversy. Not only by the Indian media, but also by the Dravidian parties.

DMK was thumped in the election. So now they have manufactured a controversy that falls right in line with their manifesto. Tamil Chauvinism.

Last edited:
It's sad there have been some pretty good arguments put forth by people, but they've all been drowned out by some guys who like throwing crap at each other. We've had 4 threads on this topic and they've all shared the same fate, and more or less due to the same people. Would be nice if we could have a somehow exclude those people.

Err....you understand what it is that you are implying? S.Indians have to learn Hindi so that others need not bother learning anything other than their own language? That should be the choice of S.Indians alone, shouldn't it? After all if you want to understand in a common language, you could just as easily all agree to learn English. The world will be a far more easier place too.

As for you suggesting that s.Indian languages will still be allowed, that is actually very funny. It is almost as if you are offering them a favour. Not likely to happen. In any case, S.Indians speaking Hindi was not the point on debate. That certainly won't happen by any diktat. This is a administrative decision that now seems to have been walked back after the backlash they received.

That is actually funny. Imagine if the European Union is a nation. France wants to promote French above all else.

But, they will allow the privilege of the Germans keeping German. Why does one need to seek permission to teach their mother tongue?

And rhetoric such as 'Hindi will penetrate into South no matter what' does not appease anyone. Even moderates such as me can only read it as triumphalist statements.

It just makes Tamils think Periyar was right all along.

@Bang Galore this controversy seems to be inflated but have only served to stoke up long hidden prejudices.

It's sad there have been some pretty good arguments put forth by people, but they've all been drowned out by some guys who like throwing crap at each other. We've had 4 threads on this topic and they've all shared the same fate, and more or less due to the same people. Would be nice if we could have a somehow exclude those people.

we could ban them.

It is both the sides btw.

Last edited:
Err....you understand what it is that you are implying? S.Indians have to learn Hindi so that others need not bother learning anything other than their own language? That should be the choice of S.Indians alone, shouldn't it? After all if you want to understand in a common language, you could just as easily all agree to learn English. The world will be a far more easier place too.

As for you suggesting that s.Indian languages will still be allowed, that is actually very funny. It is almost as if you are offering them a favour. Not likely to happen. In any case, S.Indians speaking Hindi was not the point on debate. That certainly won't happen by any diktat. This is a administrative decision that now seems to have been walked back after the backlash they received.

It boils down pretty much to this one point. That certain people have to learn more in order to accomodate those who've learnt less. Very similar to reservations, if you ask me.

We are a nation with a long list of prejudices, language being only one. A long way to go before we can call ourselves truly civilised.

If being civilized means being free of all prejudices, then there is no one on this earth who is civilized and by extension, there is no civilization on Earth.

It boils down pretty much to this one point. That certain people have to learn more in order to accomodate those who've learnt less. Very similar to reservations, if you ask me.

Yeah.

it is not like if South Indians are antagonistic to Hindi. They learn Hindi to accomodate the new migrants to their states. There are plenty of bigots down south to.

It is not the learning of Hindi, but thinking that imposition of Hindi will make India 'India' again.

If being civilized means being free of all prejudices, then there is no one on this earth who is civilized and by extension, there is no civilization on Earth.

I would terms it as a culture mature enough to acknowledge it's prejudices, mistakes. A society that has some semblance of self-awareness.

I would terms it as a culture mature enough to acknowledge it's prejudices, mistakes. A society that has some semblance of self-awareness.

People have been acknowledging their prejudices and mistakes and reforming all along history in all societies. But while they shed one prejudice, they pick up another. Such is the nature of society and life itself.

Yeah.

it is not like if South Indians are antagonistic to Hindi. They learn Hindi to accomodate the new migrants to their states. There are plenty of bigots down south to.

It is not the learning of Hindi, but thinking that imposition of Hindi will make India 'India' again.

Couldn't have put that any better. Hindi has found it's way into the list of desirable attributes expected of a model Indian citizen. The Central Government and unequal development have done their bit to get it there on the list.

here are plenty of bigots down south to.

In a discussion where the argument is primarily taking place between Hindi & Tamil speakers, it is difficult to sympathise with either. Tamil speakers are equally chauvinistic, most would love nothing more than shoving Tamil down the throats of others. If it was possible. It is not. So anti-Hindi it is. You will find Tamil speakers arguing of how theirs is the greatest of S.Indian languages & how much they believe it is superior to the others. No real difference in bigotry levels.

Last edited:
Couldn't have put that any better. Hindi has found it's way into the list of desirable attributes expected of a model Indian citizen. The Central Government and unequal development have done their bit to get it there on the list.

This is why I am wary of a certain sections of posters here openly gunning for Muslims.

Tomorrow it could be a linguistic group they train their guns on.

Manufactured controversy or no, I expected Modi to concentrate on Economic reforms. Not giving rope to hang himself with.

Or is it rajnath singh?

In a discussion where the argument is primarily taking place between Hindi & Tamil speakers, it is difficult to sympathise with either. Tamil speakers are equally chauvinistic, most would love nothing more than shoving Tamil down the throats of others. If it was possible. It is not. So anti-Hindi it is. You will find Tamil speakers arguing of how theirs is the greatest S.Indian languages & how much they believe it is superior to the others. No real difference in bigotry levels.

As a Keralite, I have often found the argument of an ancient Tamlakam and how Keralites used to speak Tamil.

And I have seen Keralites looking down on Tamilians :O

This is why I am wary of a certain sections of posters here openly gunning for Muslims.

Tomorrow it could be a linguistic group they train their guns on.

Manufactured controversy or no, I expected Modi to concentrate on Economic reforms. Not giving rope to hang himself with.

Or is it rajnath singh?

Whoever it was, they need to cease and desist. And this goes out to the linguaphobes too. :)

whats the big deal?
in pakistan urdu is spoken by less than 15 % of people yet we use it as our national language.
thats called unity.

What do you guys think about the point @sreekumar raised?

This is being done to not to impose a language onto someone else, but as a way to de-macaulayize the larger Indian public. There still exist many people who equate knowing english to intelligence/power/prestige and so on. The same is then abused by the west through the use of brown sahibs to put forth their point of view, bbc also parrots nonsense like "artificial nation made by us and english is the glue". I will admit, it is kinda crappy that we need to use english to communicate....despite being home to more than 100 languages o.0

On a side note, how come PDF uses english and not urdu? I think almost everyone there knows/understands urdu

Back
Top Bottom