What's new

Oldest Buddhist shrine holds clues to Buddha's birth

I respect peoples right to choose not to eat meat, but we evolved canines for a REASON!

we evolved canines because we ate meat not before.

armstrong,

u shud not be addicted to anything.meat is an addiction like cigarette/alcohol.

1.How is it proven??Show your proof that I can be better by not eating meat.

2.Absolutely baseless claim that carnivores are endangered because of their diet....carnivores thrive in areas which do not see human intervention and they kill herbivores regularly....If you study the Jurassic period you will see carnivore dinosaurs had no problem at all.It has nothing to do with their diet.Not one single sane scientist has ever made such a ridiculous claim that carnivores die off because of their diet.

3.No comments.I would like to know the time-period during which Indian civilization surpassed every one else.Please elaborate on that history.

4.Human intelligence does not tell us anything....Humans did not become vegetarian when they became sophisticated....We are at the frontier of evolution(we are the most evolved form of Humans till date)....and we consume more meat than any of our previous generations did....meat is more available now than it was before and people consume more of it.

5.Yes dogs do become more intelligent....but cows do not!

6.No....People have been eating bovine meat(beef) since earliest records of history.....and it is still the second most consumed meat after chicken in today's world.Cows are reared for their meat.

7.No it isn't...if meat was unhealthy human population would not have grown so much...we would have died out because most of us actually eat meat.

8.I was hoping to have an actual scientific argument with you but you just killed with this 'negative energy' crap....no school of science claims that energy is polarized.....the idea of 'negative energy' does not exist in physics.The only energy we receive from meat is chemical energy.

And if you want to continue this conversation next time 'quote' my post so that I can get a notification.

The emotions u feel after eating any food is the energy form,a complex thing like meat is difficult to digest and the human body has to work to digest it.

I never said meat is a toxin or poison but i want to see people survive eating only meat and no vegetables/diary.

Human beings dont eat 1/10th as much meat as lions/Tigers and our stomach is made of basic salts,not acidic.

Our system of digestion is not the same as that of herbivorous animals.

By eating meat,you kill the amino acids in the stomach which enables ur body to synthesize proteins on their own.

Meat was primarily expensive in the past and now it is not so due to factory production of meat but that still doesn't make meat healthy,it is full of cholestrol and beyond an age of 40,most diabetics are meat abusers.

Exactly? Did i not imply the same thing, or was i speaking french?

u didn't understand the point,man started eating meat because it was easy and then as he starts thinking and gets sophisticated he starts eating more vegetables/plants/food grains/fruits and the canines dont develop beyond.

man was not naturally born with canines like other animals.

The emotions u feel after eating any food is the energy form,a complex thing like meat is difficult to digest and the human body has to work to digest it.

I never said meat is a toxin or poison but i want to see people survive eating only meat and no vegetables/diary.

Human beings dont eat 1/10th as much meat as lions/Tigers and our stomach is made of basic salts,not acidic.

Our system of digestion is not the same as that of herbivorous animals.

By eating meat,you kill the amino acids in the stomach which enables ur body to synthesize proteins on their own.

Meat was primarily expensive in the past and now it is not so due to factory production of meat but that still doesn't make meat healthy,it is full of cholestrol and beyond an age of 40,most diabetics are meat abusers.

Meat eating has some effect on brain and thinking of the human. Meat can be easily digested by doing physical work.

People who live in mountains and cold countries can easily digest meat because of terrain and tough life.

Why discuss? People eat what they like. Its generally accepted one should eat a balanced meal. The source is not really important.

Meat eating has some effect on brain and thinking of the human. Meat can be easily digested by doing physical work.

People who live in mountains and cold countries can easily digest meat because of terrain and tough life.

I agree,thats true.

But eating meat as fast food has the opposite result.

why not discuss? is a normal topic like any other.

barbecue-ribs-1.jpg

VS

600.jpg

I CHOOSE OPTION A

There is no evidence what so ever to correlate that the inhabitants pre Vijaya was a "tamilized" group as you say.. Not even the Mahavamsa suggests that.. That is not to say That their may have been Dravidian population on the island keeping the proximity to Southern India
H. Parker (1909). Ancient Ceylon - It's this guy's postulation that they were Tamilized by the time Prince Vijaya arrived.
Can you provide some links on this dude? But even if the Pre-Vijayan tribe weren't Hindu, weren't they Hindus by the time Mahinda & Sangamitra arrived?(Prince Vijaya was a Kshatriya Prince from modern-day Bengal)

H. Parker (1909). Ancient Ceylon - It's this guy's postulation that they were Tamilized by the time Prince Vijaya arrived.
Can you provide some links on this dude? But even if the Pre-Vijayan tribe weren't Hindu, weren't they Hindus by the time Mahinda & Sangamitra arrived?(Prince Vijaya was a Kshatriya Prince from modern-day Bengal)
First of all tell us what you mean by being Hindu? For a fact I know that not a single pre-Buddhist religious structure was excavated in Sri Lanka. I don't know whether Verdic religion can be referred to as modern day Hinduism.

First of all tell us what you mean by being Hindu? For a fact I know that not a single pre-Buddhist religious structure was excavated in Sri Lanka. I don't know whether Verdic religion can be referred to as modern day Hinduism.

Why should the Nagas of 5th Century BC follow modern-day Hinduism??? They followed the codes and mores of Hinduism a.k.a Sanatana Dharma as it existed then! And what exactly do you mean by modern day Hinduism? Hindus of India still follow most of the Vedic practises plus a few more that have evolved along the ages till date. The Mahavamsa also reportedly notes the presence of Hinduism prior to the introduction of Buddhism.
As I said, I went by what's written in the book that I quoted. I'd be happy to understand more about Sri Lanka should you provide sources to back you up.

Buddha's teachings are very much appropriate in this contemporary world in particular.It is easy to understand and against any sort of animal cruelty which hurts me a lot during Pujas and Eids.A great find indeed.

Sorry to say animal sacrifice was not written in original vedas.

And Ashwamedha Yagna didn't mean sacrificing a horse brain but instead surrendering your senses and ego who are like horses unbound, to the lord who will rein them and drive them to their destination.

You need to learn more about Hinduism before commenting!
Also to Muslims.

Agreed that teachings are not practical in modern world but from what I know about Buddhism, it doesn't have any rules that prohibits anything, nothing at all. Not to mention the last meal of Buddha was beef. I think what he talked about was that the intention is much more important than the action or the result.
What do you have to say about this?
An excerpt from “History Of Magadha” by L.L.S. Omalley; J.F.W. James (Veena Publication, Delhi, 2005, pp. 35: “ The Buddhism of Magadha was finally swept away by the Muhammadan invasion under Bakhtiyar Khilji, In 1197 the capital, Bihar, was seized by a small party of two hundred horsemen, who rushed the postern gate, and sacked the town. The slaughter of the “shaven-headed Brahmans,” as the Muslim chronicler calls the Buddhist monks, was so complete that when the victor searched for someone capable of explaining the contents of the monastic libraries, not a living man could be found who was able to do so. “It was discovered,” it was said, “that the whole fort and city was a place of study.” A similar fate befell the other Buddhist institutions, against which the combined intolerance and rapacity of the invaders was directed. The monasteries were sacked and the monks slain, many of the temples were ruthlessly destroyed or desecrated, and countless idols were broken and trodden under foot. Those monks who escaped the sword flied to Tibet, Nepal and southern India; and Buddhism as a popular religion in Bihar, its last abode in Northern India, was finally destroyed. Then forward Patna passed under Muhammadan rule.”
That is why you see how the VIKINGS TV SERIES about.RAGNAR LOTHBROCK" RAGNAR THE RED".sacked the English settlements without mercy, You should watch the Vikings series on History channel.The English were christian and god loving then and Vikings were not.
Just a comparison, watch that series and see how Nords Became christians eventually.Those who rejoice in killing others will repent eventually!

There is no evidence what so ever to correlate that the inhabitants pre Vijaya was a "tamilized" group as you say.. Not even the Mahavamsa suggests that.. That is not to say That their may have been Dravidian population on the island keeping the proximity to Southern India

Well being a Christian i may not be an expert on the religion but from what i know, Buddha never prohibited any thing, His teachings always gave an option to make the right choice and in this case it is said that Buddha accepted the pork as Dana(Alms) since that was the only thing the person who gave it could afford.. Monks have to accept what ever given by the lay people as alms without discrimination
Well that is correct,he being an enlightened one and bikshu had to eat what was offered, beef /pork/meat doesn't make any difference he didn't eat meat of any kind for Avatars as such, they come to earth with a set of lessons they want to teach to humankind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom