What's new

NY cops and burqa-clad Muslim women scuffle at amusement park on Eid

Dude, you are going off track.. The links/videos do not show any thing about other religions being allowed head gear where as Muslims are being prohibited.

The issue isn't that the rules were discriminatory towards Muslims. The Muslims never claimed that -- they simply requested a refund because some of the amenities were restricted.

The issue here is the conduct of the police officers. Was it reasonable or did they use excessive force without justification because -- as the female cop yelled -- they didn't "give a f*ck about your culture". This is unprofessional conduct by an on-duty law enforcement officer.

Look at it this way. If you were a short person and you found out, after entering, that you couldn't go on half the rides because of your height. It's nobody's fault but you can reasonably ask for a refund and leave. It is certainly not an excuse for the police to unleash thei bigotry on you and start beating you up.

The issue isn't that the rules were discriminatory towards Muslims. The Muslims never claimed that -- they simply requested a refund because some of the amenities were restricted.

The issue here is the conduct of the police officers. Was it reasonable or did they use excessive force without justification because -- as the female cop yelled -- they didn't "give a f*ck about your culture". This is unprofessional conduct by an on-duty law enforcement officer.

And I wont debate that since I dont have the details. But this is not what Asim was protesting against.. This is what I replied to

This woman's dissent was justified in the face of discriminatory laws and very American as discrimination traditionally, before the Patriot Act, was perceived unacceptable.

You're living in a fools paradise to think Muslims won't push back with all the discrimination against them. This is one but a small incident.

As I said before in this thread, this pseudo victim mentality which some Muslims carry like a drum around their necks and raising a cacophony of "Oh the world is out to get Muslims" at the 1st opportunity is what is the biggest threat to the wonderful religion and Culture that is Islam. A much bigger threat than either the extremist Jehadis or the so called biased Western Mindset..

I saw the video and my conclusion is that this family argued big time with cops (very few of them at the moment) and a mob gathered and they beat couple of the cops badly and all this "arresting" drama took place after that.

Here are comments from a website about this incident, do look at them:
Video: Police Baton Crowd At Rye Playland After Muslim Woman Refuses To Remove Headscarf: Gothamist

Comment 1: "The concept at hand:

I am excepted from rules because my violations are in the name of RELIGION."

Comment 2: "Well, there are signs on other coasters asking people to secure wigs. And here's what happened at Coney Island when one person didn't do that.

CoasterBuzz Forums...

There's a difference between taking a reasonable risk on a ride and being endangered because of someone else's actions. Your right to practice your religion does not give you the right to endanger me. Hats and other headgear can and do fly off on rides. It's not reasonable to assume that if I'm on a ride, I have to risk getting hit by your belongings.

Personally, I think the woman should NOT have been asked to remove her hijab, because it's unlikely that it would have flown off.

However, I also think that if the ride operator felt that it was too risky to allow any head coverings on the ride, they had the right to refuse service. I would say that if the person had been wearing a wig, a yarmulke, a skullcap, a baseball cap or Mickey Mouse ears, so it has nothing to do with intolerance of a specific religion"

Comment 3: "I think the reason they were asked to remove their scarves(actually any headgear) was for SAFETY- it is very conceivable that it could catch on something and choke you and can you imagine getting hit in the face by a hat at 70 mph? The whole situation could have been resolved if they had just refunded their money. Not everything starts as racism but it can end up there."

Safety argument is weak when the entire Middle East is littered with roller coasters frequented by Hijabi women. The world's fastest roller coaster is in the UAE where Hijabi women do frequent. Furthermore if the ride really did have good safety standards then like the UAE they should have provided goggles as eye protection which further securely hold the hijab down.

The Hijab is the sort of headgear that would not have flown off, its a weak argument and commentators are no expert on the matter.

As I said before in this thread, this pseudo victim mentality which some Muslims carry like a drum around their necks and raising a cacophony of "Oh the world is out to get Muslims" at the 1st opportunity is what is the biggest threat to the wonderful religion and Culture that is Islam. A much bigger threat than either the extremist Jehadis or the so called biased Western Mindset..

I'm amused with this victim mentality argument as well. It seems like you guys have no baseline and are shooting off on tangents - "Its a law issue", "It's a safety issue", "It's a victimization issue". I have one constant stance, "its a freedom issue". As long as you are going to argue to curb freedoms I would say "no deal".

In fact I think what irks you folks more than playing the victim card is my argument to play the "in your face card". These rights are not something that are presented to you as a request, its demanded and I think thats the centrality of the issue here. The woman's right to speak up and get a refund was met with brutal force. It wasn't taken and the husbands fought for the defence of their wives as they should have. You push and you push till you get a rude awakening. I hope more and more Muslims stood up to these tyrannical practices.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Asim, neither are you on safety norms on Amusement park rides...

Safety of Rye Playland vs Ferrari world? I would opt for Ferrari World which is a lot more fun and its personnel do safety checkups vigorously before each and every ride and provide supplemental equipment as well.

If a woman still wants to bind her feet, is it OK? How about abortion? Is it still a freedom thing in U.S.???

Take that backward ugly thing back to the tomb in its old centuries.

You an oracle? lol.

He said 'women'. Not burka-clad women. Whatever a woman wants to wear, it is her choice and right.

I'm amused with this victim mentality argument as well. It seems like you guys have no baseline and are shooting off on tangents - "Its a law issue", "It's a safety issue", "It's a victimization issue". I have one constant stance, "its a freedom issue". As long as you are going to argue to curb freedoms I would say "no deal".

In fact I think what irks you folks more than playing the victim card is my argument to play the "in your face card". These rights are not something that are presented to you as a request, its demanded and I think thats the centrality of the issue here. The woman's right to speak up and get a refund was met with brutal force. It wasn't taken and the husbands fought for the defence of their wives as they should have. You push and you push till you get a rude awakening. I hope more and more Muslims stood up to these tyrannical practices.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Safety of Rye Playland vs Ferrari world? I would opt for Ferrari World which is a lot more fun and its personnel do safety checkups vigorously before each and every ride and provide supplemental equipment as well.

Well then they should have opted for the UAE theme park, no head gear on the ride means 'no head gear on the ride' what's there to argue? Did the law say 'no muslims on this ride'? Skip the ride, remove the head gear, go home and watch TV, ride to some other amusement park, opt for the UAE's amusement park, pack bags and head to home country but nay the lady decided to slug it out with the cop :cheesy:

Well then they should have opted for the UAE theme park, no head gear on the ride means 'no head gear on the ride' what's there to argue? Did the law say 'no muslims on this ride'? Skip the ride, remove the head gear, go home and watch TV, ride to some other amusement park, opt for the UAE's amusement park, pack bags and head to home country but nay the lady decided to slug it out with the cop :cheesy:

No blasphemy means, no blasphemy, lets kill all the Ahmedis... Law is law after all, nobody should have the right to protest against the law.

Lets enforce the Burkha on non-Muslims and make them pay jiziya tax... Law is law after all, what's there to argue?

In plain simple terms, a law without any moral standing deserves to be torn down as many such laws have been in the past!

No blasphemy means, no blasphemy, lets kill all the Ahmedis... Law is law after all, nobody should have the right to protest against the law.

Lets enforce the Burkha on non-Muslims and make them pay jiziya tax... Law is law after all, what's there to argue?

In plain simple terms, a law without any moral standing deserves to be torn down as many such laws have been in the past!

LOL the law didn't discriminated against the Muslims, probably Sikhs are the ones who would have been deprived of the earth shattering ride or whatever, in fact Hindu-Muslim-Sikhs-Christians nobody is allowed with head gear on the said ride(s) again is it so hard to understand, The question is Sikh never feel insecure about their religion or didn't create a rukus as somebody mentioned earlier it is probably the victim mentality. What tomorrow if the same lady wants to wear a full veiled burkha in a plane/security check?

Well I think a lot of muslims are more racist than they would care to acknowledge. In Middle East, if they are frisked, checked double frisked by fellow muslims, they have no issues at all.. Same thing happening in the West and the cries of racism can be heard for miles. ain't that a tad bit racist as well ... :azn:

Agree on the bold part.. But who decides where to draw a line on personal freedom... Who decides whether it stops at burning the flag, or running naked in a busy street or entering a mosque eating pork chops.. And this dilemma comes into play when you challenge rules at the place of their enforcement and not at the place where you make them.

The babe in question very well knew the rules but simply wanted to flout them using the muslim card.. Bit off more than she could chew and ended up being a sore loser and giving forums like these a topic to debate for a few weeks ;)

Safety first. Saw the video, however can't comment on the situation, as the video skipped to all the chaos.

However it's true for most theme parks, they tell you to take off your hats and anything else that may fly off during the ride. I'm sure there are rides that allow hats, headscarves, hijabs, etc...

Back
Top Bottom