What's new

NY cops and burqa-clad Muslim women scuffle at amusement park on Eid

Utter rubbish. I have seen dime a dozen Muslims with head scarves and names like Muhammad all over US. You should tell such stories to like minded people in Pakistan or AE, not in forum where Americans can read your musings.

I'll tell you more places to look for them - detention centers and FINS registration centers on airports. Have you looked there?

Yes, did your radar go off in UAE! Keep giving us the chuckles.

I'm well familiar with the US and various western countries. Unlike Americans we are not a frog in the well and are quite aware of what goes around the world.

Yeh, tell that to American Muslim athletes, politicians, artists.....they are everywhere.
Celebrities? Sure, thats the same argument you Indians also use for India. Look we have Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan we are so nice to Muslims, only committed a genocide in Gujarat and elevated the main man to Godly status after it. But we have Shahrukh Khan.

Furthermore, I explicitly wrote, American government. The society itself is still functioning in a very acceptable manner, but you need to keep your head low from the government.

You are hopeless. US takes hate crime very seriously and even illegal Americans get same rights are legal citizens. Living in UAE, what would you know about these things...

I'm hopeful, and hence I speak up. You're hopeless that your only immigrant response is to cower and hide away.

I cannot debate over this but I don't know a single "Indian" who has left US over religious discrimination. Their numbers have only gone up since 9/11.

Of course, the US being the economic magnet -- still -- will continue to attract immigrants. But I have known Hindus and Sikhs who got tired of harassment in the US and moved to Australia. The harassment wasn't 'religious' but simply racial, based on looks.

Why didn't the white Europeans go back home when the native Americans didn't want them? Its a small argument that go back home, they have invested their lives in being where they are today and that has earned them the right to protest with vigor.

Why tolerate anti-war white hippies send them back to Europe. How come they don't lose their self-respect in fact become celebrated icons, but Muslims do? The problem is in the Muslim mind that makes them weak to stand up to injustices and speak up for their freedom. Keep your head down and live a life of a sub-human being or fight for your rights proudly. If everyone thought this way this entire world would be ruled by tyrannical regimes today.

So you are about to turn Middle East into an "all religions are equal" society? Those non-Muslims who live in UAE live under Islamic rules (whatever is the level of enforcement). Where is your outrage over that? As Elmo said, people are free to leave.

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Of course, the US being the economic magnet -- still -- will continue to attract immigrants. But I have known Hindus and Sikhs who got tired of harassment in the US and moved to Australia. The harassment wasn't 'religious' but simply racial, based on looks.

You must be joking, right? They left US because of harassment and moved to "Australia"? Sounds..so believable.

---------- Post added at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

I'll tell you more places to look for them - detention centers and FINS registration centers on airports. Have you looked there?

I'm well familiar with the US and various western countries. Unlike Americans we are not a frog in the well and are quite aware of what goes around the world.

Celebrities? Sure, thats the same argument you Indians also use for India. Look we have Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan we are so nice to Muslims, only committed a genocide in Gujarat and elevated the main man to Godly status after it. But we have Shahrukh Khan.

Furthermore, I explicitly wrote, American government. The society itself is still functioning in a very acceptable manner, but you need to keep your head low from the government.

I'm hopeful, and hence I speak up. You're hopeless that your only immigrant response is to cower and hide away.

Nah, you are just a guy who has never been to a developed nation and gets all his "stories" from various like minded people. Keep your jokes coming..

You must be joking, right? They left US because of harassment and moved to "Australia"? Sounds..so believable.

I am not interested in what you believe or not. I am simply relaying their reasons for leaving the US and, knowing them, I trust their word.

I am not saying the US is a horrible place to live. Compared to many other places, it is pretty good. But that doesn't change the fact that American society has taken a turn for the worse since 9/11.

I am not interested in what you believe or not. I am simply relaying their reasons for leaving the US and, knowing them, I trust their word.

I don't. Australia is unbelievably racist, especially towards "Indians". No sane Indian would move from US to Australia. But as long as I can ignore the evidence and take people on their "word"...

So you are about to turn Middle East into an "all religions are equal" society? Those non-Muslims who live in UAE live under Islamic rules (whatever is the level of enforcement). Where is your outrage over that? As Elmo said, people are free to leave.

In any given day the westerners rule over us feeble expats in the UAE too.

Here the law may not be the most free, however, it all works out for them when they are simply mostly not prosecuted for living a western lifestyle.

Conversely, why don't the westerners leave Dubai? They are now in staggering numbers and almost exclusively own all the good parts of the Dubai. This Ramadan the law stating that you would be arrested for eating in public was waived to make room for the westerners. Laws can be changed if you fight for them.

There has been a strong tradition in Dubai to dress modestly during Ramadan. This Ramadan if you ever had the chance to go to the beach you would see all white folk happily sun-bathing in their swimsuits and that too since there are shortened timings, they seemed to be living on the beach with the beach literally seeming cluttered with swimsuits.

Their freedom to not dress does not impact my freedom to be dressed... We live and let live.

How come no mention of the two cops who were badly beaten up by the mob?

Should they plea that they were picked on by the Muslim crowd because they were obviously non-Jewish.

Do read the reports: it's just one family involved in this fracas.

In any given day the westerners rule over us feeble expats in the UAE too.

Here the law may not be the most free, however, it all works out for them when they are simply mostly not prosecuted for living a western lifestyle.

Conversely, why don't the westerners leave Dubai? They are now in staggering numbers and almost exclusively own all the good parts of the Dubai. This Ramadan the law stating that you would be arrested for eating in public was waived to make room for the westerners. Laws can be changed if you fight for them.

There has been a strong tradition in Dubai to dress modestly during Ramadan. This Ramadan if you ever had the chance to go to the beach you would see all white folk happily sun-bathing in their swimsuits and that too since there are shortened timings, they seemed to be living on the beach with the beach literally seeming cluttered with swimsuits.

Their freedom to not dress does not impact my freedom to be dressed... We live and let live.

You do know that without "westerners", Dubai economy will crash? Dubai is not UAE or ME. Dubai is an exception.

Nah, you are just a guy who has never been to a developed nation and gets all his "stories" from various like minded people. Keep your jokes coming..

Whatever you say... If you don't count the USA as a developed nation (compared to Dubai's infrastructure it probably isn't), then you're right.

Dude, you are going off track.. The links/videos do not show any thing about other religions being allowed head gear where as Muslims are being prohibited.

It's a unfair ask... I'm going by the facts that occurred during this incident. The cops jumped the woman for "speaking loud" and they screamed bigoted remarks for all the witnesses to hear. It shows that their attitude was against the Muslims and not sprung out of safety concerns of the theme park.

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

Here you are again. Off topic and talking cr*p.
Every village has an idiot that all treat with kid gloves as people know god wasnt overkind to this person and gave him less brain cells. You are clearly PDFs village idiot.
For goodness sake stop going off topic it really is annoying.
Asim and developereo - brothers please look at the quality and content of this guys posts and you will start taking his posts with a pinch of salt. He is simply a qualified troll. Has nothing of any substance to say and is just here to wind Pakistanis up so just ignore him.
Now back to the thread. I pray this was an isolated incident and not national US policy

You do know that without "westerners", Dubai economy will crash? Dubai is not UAE or ME. Dubai is an exception.

Actually Dubai was a booming economy till the British expats came up with their gigantic ideas and it did crash.

We Sub-continent folks had UAE going places, salaries were good, jobs were secure, people were not in debts.

How come no mention of the two cops who were badly beaten up by the mob?

Should they plea that they were picked on by the Muslim crowd because they were obviously non-Jewish.

Do read the reports: it's just one family involved in this fracas.

Precisely my point. Story of this family doesn't sound credible. There were Muslims everywhere in park and many were given refund over scarf rule. I bet this family got abusive with officers and things got out of the hand.

If police unilaterally attacked this family for being "Muslim", I hope they sue the hell out of city. But I don't think they will.

Here are comments from a website about this incident, do look at them:
Video: Police Baton Crowd At Rye Playland After Muslim Woman Refuses To Remove Headscarf: Gothamist

Comment 1: "The concept at hand:

I am excepted from rules because my violations are in the name of RELIGION."

Comment 2: "Well, there are signs on other coasters asking people to secure wigs. And here's what happened at Coney Island when one person didn't do that.

CoasterBuzz Forums...

There's a difference between taking a reasonable risk on a ride and being endangered because of someone else's actions. Your right to practice your religion does not give you the right to endanger me. Hats and other headgear can and do fly off on rides. It's not reasonable to assume that if I'm on a ride, I have to risk getting hit by your belongings.

Personally, I think the woman should NOT have been asked to remove her hijab, because it's unlikely that it would have flown off.

However, I also think that if the ride operator felt that it was too risky to allow any head coverings on the ride, they had the right to refuse service. I would say that if the person had been wearing a wig, a yarmulke, a skullcap, a baseball cap or Mickey Mouse ears, so it has nothing to do with intolerance of a specific religion"

Comment 3: "I think the reason they were asked to remove their scarves(actually any headgear) was for SAFETY- it is very conceivable that it could catch on something and choke you and can you imagine getting hit in the face by a hat at 70 mph? The whole situation could have been resolved if they had just refunded their money. Not everything starts as racism but it can end up there."

Back
Top Bottom