What's new

No hurdle in resuming defence ties with India: Says China

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
No hurdle in resuming defence ties with India: Says China

Amid indications that a breakthrough is expected in unfreezing the defence ties between China & India, the Chinese Embassy has said that there's "no hurdle" in the resumption of defence cooperation and that dialogue is on between the two sides on this matter.

Chinese Embassy spokesperson Zou Yonghong told The Indian Express: "There is no hurdle in defence cooperation. Dialogue between the two military is going on."

Defence cooperation was paused in August last year after China refused to issue a proper 'pasted' visa to Lt Gen B S Jaswal, the GOC-in-C. He was the Northern Army Commander in Jammu and Kashmir which China considers "disputed".

While the Chinese side is very keen to resume the defence exchanges between the two countries, New Delhi is insisting that the issue of stapled visas to J&K residents must be resolved first.

In this context, New Delhi has noticed that Beijing has not issued a single "stapled visa" to J&K residents since Chinese Premier Wen Jiaobao's visit last December. Government sources confirmed this development — that has taken place quietly — to The Indian Express, although there have been no formal or official communication from Beijing on the issue. The real test, sources said, is whether the Chinese are issuing proper 'pasted' visas to Indian nationals hailing from J&K.

South Block sources, who have been tracking this issue, said New Delhi is not yet celebrating this development, but is "cautiously optimistic". However, the issue of stapled visas, sources added, remained with respect to the residents of Arunachal Pradesh.

The Chinese Embassy spokesperson Zou Yonghong refused to comment on the issue of stapled visas.

South Block sources said that the issue of defence exchanges is likely to be discussed during the Prime Minister's visit to Sanya, a city in China's Hainan island, where he is expected to meet the Chinese leadership.

A bilateral meeting is expected on the sidelines of the BRICS Summit on April 14, which will be embracing South Africa as a new member. Sources said depending on the progress of discussions between the two sides, a possible visit of the Defence Minister is also being discussed.

Though no dates are being discussed as yet, sources said there is a possibility of A K Antony going to China after the elections in his home state, Kerala.

During his India visit, the Chinese Premier had made an oblique pitch for defence cooperation in the course of his speech at the Indian Council of World Affairs as he said that China is ready to work with India to intensify exchanges and multi-level consultations between political parties and "in the military field" to enhance political and strategic mutual trust.

No hurdle in resuming defence ties, says China

Defence 'ties' with China is more like time pass. lol I don't see any advantage of resuming. Lets be as it is.

I agree with you unfortunately....China repeatedly takes one step forward and then 3 steps back.....so the solutions it provides are only face value......They need to make the effort....Relations where they are.....is better for India....We get this feeling of Bhai Bhai but there isn't....as long as China does everything to counter us.....its just sending a msg that has been coming since '62.....WE ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS

China has no desire to resolve the boundary issue with India. A peaceful resolution of the border issue will only remove the perceived threat that China presents to India. That clearly is not the aim here, not unless the borders are adjusted to China's liking and India accepts and recognises China's overlordship in Asia and elsewhere. The stapled visa issue, the involvement in Pak Occupied Kashmir, the increased presence in India's immediate neighborhood in South Asia and the Indian Ocean Region are all issues to which India is very sensitive and these are the very issues used by China to needle India and keep it perpetually off balance. Any desire for improving mutual relations with India is not apparent from China's actions. Mere words are meaningless. Why do we need to improve defence ties with China unless it is within the ambit of an overall improvement of relations between the two countries?

I disagree ^^^^^.

There should be more such military-to-military contacts between the two nations. Make those exercises every year, on a much larger level. Keep them simple as routine COIN exercises or SWAT exercises or even routine military maneuvers. But maintain those contacts. One learns a lot by just observing. Just my 2 cents.

In this context, New Delhi has noticed that Beijing has not issued a single "stapled visa" to J&K residents since Chinese Premier Wen Jiaobao's visit last December. Government sources confirmed this development — that has taken place quietly — to The Indian Express

This was the most significant part of this developing relationship.

I disagree ^^^^^.

There should be more such military-to-military contacts between the two nations. Make those exercises every year, on a much larger level. Keep them simple as routine COIN exercises or SWAT exercises or even routine military maneuvers. But maintain those contacts. One learns a lot by just observing. Just my 2 cents.

^^^ And what do we do when they refuse visas to the Northern Army Commander or the Eastern Army Commander due to J&K and AP being parts of the two commands respectively. Do you suggest we accept the insult of India's top generals by the Chinese? Do we accept the stapled visas or the active involvement of the Chinese in ? Or the periodic provocations in AP, Sikkim and Ladakh? What exactly are the benefits accruing to India from these military interactions?

there is no point in being hostile to each other it is not like india is going to give away AP to china or china is not going to attack india to capture AP so its really no problem having any type of ties with china
pakistan is closest ally to china so it will definately support pakistan on J&K so we have to move beyond the issue of J&K and AP with china

Either the Chinese are a confused lot or they are trying to confuse us. The latter seems more likely! :coffee:

One question that I had in my mind was 'Why didn't China hold on to AP in 1962? Why did they go back?' They could have held on to to AP and parts they claimed. Anyone? I would love to hear facts and not mere assumptions.

In this context, New Delhi has noticed that Beijing has not issued a single "stapled visa" to J&K residents since Chinese Premier Wen Jiaobao's visit last December. Government sources confirmed this development — that has taken place quietly — to The Indian Express

lol

They are confused!!!! Doing something and the next moment backing from it.

One question that I had in my mind was 'Why didn't China hold on to AP in 1962? Why did they go back?' They could have held on to to AP and parts they claimed. Anyone? I would love to hear facts and not mere assumptions.
They knew they can't hold it just like India retracted after enter Pakistan in 1965. War needs logistical supports.

ilw3595.gif

You should able to figure it out your answer from this cartoon picture.
India had the support of the two sole superpower at that time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom