What's new

Naswar Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
@armstrong
hyperion wont agree with my definition because he seems to have superficial knowledge about his people. He is also racist.

Haiinn ? :blink:

I think he should reply to that himself...waisee woh eik Waziristan ka Tribal hai with family on both sides !

Phir tou mein bhi Pathan howaaa ! :rofl:

Nahin...nahin ! A Pathan is someone who descends from some of the castes/ ethnic sub groups traditionally thought of as 'Pukhtoons' for example the Tareeins, the Bangash, the Yousafzai, the Khattaks, the Shamakhels, the Niazis etc. Not all of them speak Pashto as their mother-tongue or prescribe to Pashtunwali but because they trace their lineage back to the same 'Tribes or Sub-Groups of the Pashtun race' they're Pashtuns !

Or you could Monkey's definition - Pathan : Speaks Pastho & prescribes to Pashtunwali !

But Monkey I bet Hyperion disagrees with that in the strongest words possible...for him its all about the 'blood line'.

What is the difference between a Pathan and a Pushtun

@armstrong
hyperion wont agree with my definition because he seems to have superficial knowledge about his people. He is also racist.

WOW. That is a strong very word for merely having a differing opinion.

I would use it very carefully.

The Pashto speakers in the world are about 45 million. If you add those who have lost pashto but have pashtun ancestry to it, then pathan population would reach upto 80-90 millions. Infact if you split pakistani population racially e.g into pathans, jats, awans, rajputs, balochs, turks, arabs etc then pashtuns would become most numerous racial group of Pakistan. In afghanistan the pashto speakers form 42% of population but if you add farsified pashtuns to them then their percentage exceeds 60%.
Even Pakistanis in general consider non-pashto speaking pathans as "naqli", fake. Take the example of irfan pathan, he is called fake pathan by pakistanis even though he belongs to a pathan community of gujrat.
Following notables are pathans by ancestry but nobody call them pashtuns,
1- maulana mohammad ali jauhar and shaukat ali jauher (rohilla pathans)
2- Nawab bahadur yar jang (kakezai)
3- Sir sikandar hayat khan of unionist party punjab
4- Maulana abdul kalam azad
5- zakir hussain, former indian president (afridi of india)
6- Josh malih abdadi, urdu poet
8- urdu witers like mushtaq ahmad yousafi, Ashfaq ahmad.
9- cricketers like intikhab alam, abdul qadir, javed burki....
the list is very long...........
Reh gai baat imran khan ki , he belongs to Niazi tribe of mianwali, who are seriakized pashtuns....they are transitional group like pathans of hazara......they derive their culture both from punjab and kpk...Niazis have lost pashto but they have retained pashtunwali and tribal framework (qaum, khel, khul, clan)...I have been to mianwali several times, though their mother tongue is seraiki, many of them can understand and speak pashto.....
Langauge is such strong factor in shaping idenity, niazis of mianwali want to join seraikistan rather KPK. Hindko speaking pathans of hazara want their own province rather than sticking with kpk. Even the bilingual pashtun tribes of DIkhan (gandapurs, babars, miankhels etc) want to join seraikistan.

Although you do make a valid point that indeed native tongue is very important, but the Blood link is just as important as the cultural, traditional, and lingual aspect, if not more.

Regarding Yusuf "Pathan" of india, well anyone these days can slap a "Pathan" or "Khan" next to their first name, i have met quite a few people who have done so and claimed to be "Pathans/Pashtuns", however only a real Pashtun can prove his ancestry through providing important background info like Tribal lineage, for example my Mother is a Yusufzai because my Maternal Grandfather is a Yusufzai, however my Maternal Grandmother is a Barakzai, my fathers side is Shamozai.

Although we might have lost the ability to speak the native tongue of our ancestors, we haven't lost our identity, and not everyone has the same definition, or qualification, or criteria of/for being a Pashtun.

Secondly, i'm not sure what one would consider these Sikhs who speak Pashto and probably know more about Pashtun way of thinking then i do since they have been living in Peshawar amongst Pashtuns for centuries after fleeing persecution in Punjab. Do they become Pashtuns?

Sikhs and Muslims live in harmony in Peshawar - YouTube

I'm certainly not a Punjabi, Kashmiri, Sindhi, Mohajir since i cannot trace my ancestry to any of the latter groups mentioned, than what am i?

I want to start some other profession and dump this plastic surgery thing --- I've lost all interest right when i am about to get the specialization degree..... perhaps will do an mba or something

That was so random, here we were talking about ancestry and ethnic identity along with thousand year old souls and out of nowhere you post about your loss of interest in becoming a plastic surgeon, but since you brought it up i'll just say you would've made loads of cash had you continued to pursue this profession, especially in the ME where there are lines of wealthy Arabs willing to pay thousands for nose jobs and what not.

Desert fox. It's a shame that I've moved to Texas now. Would have loved an opportunity to stare down through your cornea and see what kind of man you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom