What's new

Names of Pak ships

In English, there isn't really a gender for each noun, but in Urdu there is. "Lightning" or "Bijli" in Urdu is definitely female (as in "bijli gire gi" or "bijli giri thi"). al-Buraq was a female steed (please correct me if I am wrong) and is a very famous and deeply respected creature amongst Muslims. I stand by what I said earlier, al-Buraq would be a brilliant name for a "Muslim" fighter jet.

wtf, allow me to respectfully disagree with you. I think naming things after historic personalities is a brilliant idea, and support Pakistan's current naming convention. We are a nation that is proud of our heritage, and we like to display that with great pride. I don't think that random nouns, such as Thunder, Lightning, Raptor, Predator etc., are very deep and meaningful. Either have a name that has a deep-rooted meaning, like Hatf or Shaheen or Tipu Sultan or al-Khalid etc., or give it a descriptive name, like "Light Combat Aircraft" or "Joint Strike Fighter".

I agree that the names for which Pak armaments are named are pretty impressive. But wasn't Al-Khalid syrian? And Tipu Mysorean? My original question was whether this would work. But then I found that Bangladesh does the same to their ships. And the coolest (when it comes to happily adopting foreign culture) I have so far is Indonesia. Their motto is "Jalesveva Jayamahe" literally "We win on seas" in Sanskrit!! It is not even a language they speak nowadays.And they have a national airline called Garuda (a bird from Ramayana).

Last edited:
I agree that the names for which Pak armaments are named are pretty impressive. But wasn't Al-Khalid syrian? And Tipu Mysorean? My original question was whether this would work. But then I found that Bangladesh does the same to their ships. And the coolest (when it comes to happily adopting foreign culture) I have so far is Indonesia. Their motto is "Jalesveva Jayamahe" literally "We win on seas" in Sanskrit!! It is not even a language they speak nowadays.And they have a national airline called Garuda (a bird from Ramayana).

Indonesia could serve as an apt example of how the past has blended with the present. A look at the national holidays of that country would indicate that they celebrate Christian, Buddhist , chinese, hindu holidays in addition to those of Islam.

Proves that to maintain the present you do not necessarily have to discard the past & there is place for all.

Hence finding hindu names is not unusual.

Bali Discovery : Indonesia Public Holidays

Public holidays in Indonesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, a bit of a hidden low-blow there. Almost missed it.

We Pakistanis consider our culture and heritage to be a lovely mix of subcontinental and Islamic history, and so we claim rights over both. Nobody can deny us these as we have very valid cases for both. Khalid bin al-Waleed (RA) was not Syrian, he was Meccan, from a respected family in the Quraysh tribe. He later grew to be a very capable General in the Muslim army, and is only the second general in history to have never been defeated in over a hundred battles (the first being Ghengis Khan, however, unlike Khalid, Ghenghis Khan was not physically a part of every single battle). A basic concept of Islam is that tribes, nationalities, languages etc. all take a back seat to Islam, which is the common bond. Therefore, if Saudi Arabia decided to name its next weapon system "the Jinnah", well, its their right. Hence, we have not "adopted" any foreign culture, it is ours to begin with.

In another thread, a discussion started about naming ships after Tipu etc.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-history/21761-ancient-india-time-mahabharata-6.html#post378776

India mostly names ships after places or give them people's names without reference to anything else (eg:INS Sukanya = INS good girl).

Pakistan on the other hand named ships after Muslim kings/generals. Recently though they have moved to naming ships after places (PNS Gwadar). What do you think ? Should the names reflect Islamic heritage irrespective of nation (PNS Tipu = King of Mysore, PNS Shahjahan = King of Delhi, PNS Badr - A battle between Arabs) or should it be Pakistan specific (PNS Gwadar, Ports named after Jinnah) ?

Hi,

Pakistanis name ships and missiles after others / foreigners most of the time is, because they lack identity of their own. They want to relate to everybody else---rather themselves.

Our ships ships should be named for our soldiers. The missiles are an indiscrimanate weapons of death and destruction----they should not be named after anyone---except for numerical / alphabetical designation.

Negativity, pessimism and constant criticism are not always a sign of experience or intelligence, though it is commonly confused as so.

Widespread respect provides no exception from this law... because it is not a right.

Hi,

A few years ago, the afghans started talking---why are the pakistani weapons of death and destruction named after afghan warriors---who gave pak the right to name its missiles after the names of afghan generals---.

Pakistan is looking for lost glory of other warriors of foreign nations---pakistanis need to identify the good in themselves---they need to look for the good amongst their own---they have their own heroes and they need to look upto them to cherish and remember their deeds of bravery and service to the nation---pakistan. :pakistan:

Pakistan's next Ballistic Missile should be named 'Sher Khan' instead of someone who didn't do much for 'Pakistan'.

PAFace there is nothing ISLAMIC about the JF-17. the chinese designed and built it and the Chinese love their pork, along with dogs and silkworms.
Unbelievable how everybody just grabs Islam by the arm and shoves it in everywhere saying "This is your thang!!"

As for the naming though.. I do like the Idea of calling it Buraq but since the Buraq was a transportation vehicle I would rather reserve it for a SLV(if if) or maybe if we procure a fast transport.

I personally prefer calling it the JF-17 Sabre-II.
Nostalgic maybe..

It is a lost cause---what is the sense in posting

Last edited:
Go ahead name them after whomsoever you want to.

Last edited:
I have to agree. I mean PNS Tipu, whats Pakistan got in common with Tipu Sultan? That Tipu was Muslim? That doesnt mean Pakistan has anything to do with it, its as good a relationship as Saudi Arabia would have with Tipu Sultan.

In that sense Pakistan is trying to claim Indian heritage because India claims Hindu as well as Muslim Heritage in what is today India.

I have to agree. I mean PNS Tipu, whats Pakistan got in common with Tipu Sultan? That Tipu was Muslim? That doesnt mean Pakistan has anything to do with it, its as good a relationship as Saudi Arabia would have with Tipu Sultan.

In that sense Pakistan is trying to claim Indian heritage because India claims Hindu as well as Muslim Heritage in what is today India.

Pakistan was formed as a separate homeland for Muslims and many Muslims around the world still see this country as the fortress of Islam.

Besides, Babur, Qasim, Tipu and Ghuri - all of them has one thing in common and that is they have ruled over India and Hindus. Secular and educated Indians like yourself look at past as past but majority of Indians have no love for these rulers.

Pakistan's heritage is the heritage of this region and not of India as you know there was no India or Hindustan before 1947.

BTW, India is a name borrowed from Est India Company and should be dropped altogether. I would suggest changing the name of your country to Bharat because Hindustan was used by Muslim warriors for certain areas of present day India.

Back
Top Bottom