What's new

M-777 ultra-light howitzers too Expensive, India might drop plans to buy

Can Dhanush do this, even with Mil-26?
maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe not but still not worth the cost. Simply allow blacklisted companies to bid again in a time bound manner personally monitored by PM. The evaluations if done with proper mindset can be completed in 6 - 8 months and then entire deal can be concluded in 6 - 8 months more. First piece can be delivered within 1 year of signing contract, within 2 we can start our own home based production line on licensed production.

This is BS if true. What alternatives are there? ST Kinetics who were bidding against BAE in the ULH bid were blacklisted after corruption charges and how many years away are Indigenous alternatives and that too their specs are purely on paper. The M777 is a proven and cutting edge piece of kit. I really hope this news isn't true, the M777 is well worth the money.

I don't get Modi/the new Govt's actions- they said defence procurements were a priority for them and the noises regarding two long delayed and desperately needed pieces of kit (RSH and ULH) has been scrapping and cancellation. Modi and Jaitley were briefed by the service chiefs on the need for such equipment and it seems both have ignored the services. Can't say this is a good start to things nor are they living up to their promises to speed up procurements and give the forces the equipment they need.

It seems money is the problem.And look at the timing.Dhanush already passed 90%tests.
And I think GoI is opting for indigenius stuffs.

It seems money is the problem.And look at the timing.Dhanush already passed 90%tests.
And I think GoI is opting for indigenius stuffs.
The Dhanush is NOT al alternative to the M777 an Ultra Light Weight Howitzer- there is NO Indian alternative to the M777 right now and won't be for at least 5-7 years.

Money isn't an issue, the MoD is still not using up all its capital expenditure budget.

Is this gun very important of IA? what capabilities it add to IA's firepower? does any other regional country have this kind of gun or capability?

I don't think India is going to war with any one any time soon so they have time develop indigenous one.

Is this gun very important of IA? what capabilities it add to IA's firepower? does any other regional country have this kind of gun or capability?

I don't think India is going to war with any one any time soon so they have time develop indigenous one.

It won't point at your troops if ever bought so don't worry.

The Dhanush is NOT al alternative to the M777 an Ultra Light Weight Howitzer- there is NO Indian alternative to the M777 right now and won't be for at least 5-7 years.

Money isn't an issue, the MoD is still not using up all its capital expenditure budget.

M777 IS NOT WORTH 1 BN $ for 145 guns only.We need other more pressing priorities like submarines and heavy artillery.

It won't point at your troops if ever bought so don't worry.

I don't worry as I have seen what our troops are capable of, our artillery guys are dam good :-)

What I was asking the capabilities in the region and what it has special that India wanted it?

M777 IS NOT WORTH 1 BN $ for 145 guns only.We need other more pressing priorities like submarines and heavy artillery.
You get what you pay for, yes the price has inflated (thanks to GoI inaction more than anything else) but you can't push some military procurements and abandon others baed on some arbitrary measure, this would create critical gaps. Military procurement needs to be pushed across the board. The fact you've mentioned submarines shows you've simply bought into the nonsense put out by the Indian media- the replacements for the Kilos ARE on their way with deliveries starting within 24 months, throwing money at that would neither speed up procurement nor delivery.

I don't worry as I have seen what our troops are capable of, our artillery guys are dam good :-)

What I was asking the capabilities in the region and what it has special that India wanted it?

It's pretty much one of your M198A2 in a lighter role.

Regarding your inventory other than Panther nothing is very impressive even then as per MKEK it does 40km range.

Its for our MSC in border with China.. since its light weight and can be transported where usual Artillery can't be, because of the terrain and infra there

It's pretty much one of your M198A2 in a lighter role.

But all A2s are now upgraded to A5 standard and PA have much better other options with local manufacturing available to them.

My question is unanswered, what this light gun add new? as all regional forces are using good fire power at high altitudes including India.

Its for our MSC in border with China.. since its light weight and can be transported where usual Artillery can't be, because of the terrain and infra there

Even if terrain is not good, mostly artillery is deployed well behind fighting areas so there is not much problem of transportation.

Probably have a relook at Pegasus again. Got on Antony's bad books (as you pointed out), maybe an alternative. Time to fine companies instead of blacklisting them.

SLWH Pegasus 155mm Lightweight Howitzer - Army Technology

I have seen PA using 105mm gun and mobilizing them well and 130mm guns were deployed behind from where they were able to hit any point where support fire was needed. That is why I want to know what is special in this gun? why u want a 155mm gun so close to fighting area??

Well the actual gun costs less.... But since the production facility closed and to reopen its going to cost more, that's the reason for that figure..... And i think India would get ToT on this one... Correct if wrong??/

Its worth it as we don't have any guns equal to it

You get what you pay for, yes the price has inflated (thanks to GoI inaction more than anything else) but you can't push some military procurements and abandon others baed on some arbitrary measure, this would create critical gaps. Military procurement needs to be pushed across the board. The fact you've mentioned submarines shows you've simply bought into the nonsense put out by the Indian media- the replacements for the Kilos ARE on their way with deliveries starting within 24 months, throwing money at that would neither speed up procurement nor delivery.

Why can't we clear the blacklisted companies to participate again with a written contract and penalties involved, NO BLACKLISTING. The damn howitzers are simply not worth their price.

Even I know Scorpene , first one will be launched in 2015, commissioned in September 2016 after sea trial. Delay was because of no modern production line. Having said that 6 scorpenes are NOT enough to replace 13 submarines.

I have seen PA using 105mm gun and mobilizing them well and 130mm guns were deployed behind from where they were able to hit any point where support fire was needed. That is why I want to know what is special in this gun? why u want a 155mm gun so close to fighting area??

The bigger the number greater the range. In mountain warfare with 32km range in rarified atmosphere you get 60km range as bofors did in Kargil. So for

105mm -> 10km in normal conditions means 20km

You want to hit your enemy as far as possible out of their range.

Back
Top Bottom