What's new

JF-17 at Kamra Airbase

There is no confirmed pic and type of the radar on JF-17 as of now. So plzzz don't speculate and post the same old discussion on this forum again, this same discussion can be seen on the proper JF-17 thread.

But it is for sure that JF-17 does not have KLJ-7 as a radar. Its something better then this one and designation is also changed.

So plzz no more speculation and pictures which have been repeated before.

Thx

Anymore information please on where that photo was taken? ... ... It looks like a model at an exibition.

its definitely not in Kamra....you can see the foreigners on the corner side of radar....its pictured somewhere in west

There is no confirmed pic and type of the radar on JF-17 as of now. So plzzz don't speculate and post the same old discussion on this forum again, this same discussion can be seen on the proper JF-17 thread.

But it is for sure that JF-17 does not have KLJ-7 as a radar. Its something better then this one and designation is also changed.

So plzz no more speculation and pictures which have been repeated before.

Thx

Considering that AFM had a reporter at PAC Kamra for the unveiling of #111, and that they published the radar as KLJ-1 ... ... SHOULDN'T WE PUT EFFORT IN FINDING SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIS RADAR?

Considering that AFM had a reporter at PAC Kamra for the unveiling of #111, and that they published the radar as KLJ-1 ... ... SHOULDN'T WE PUT EFFORT IN FINDING SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIS RADAR?

Well considering the secrecy so far, i believe we nor the reputed magzines so far cn say for sure what radar has been installed, except for its Origin, specifications, name all still hidden.

After the redesign of the JF-17, the nose got bigger, thus it can now accommodate a bigger radar, meaning a better one.

My guess it, it would be something of the KLJ-10 or JL-10 nature, better specifications then the old KLJ-7 specifications.

Well considering the secrecy so far, i believe we nor the reputed magzines so far cn say for sure what radar has been installed, except for its Origin, specifications, name all still hidden.

After the redesign of the JF-17, the nose got bigger, thus it can now accommodate a bigger radar, meaning a better one.

My guess it, it would be something of the KLJ-10 or JL-10 nature, better specifications then the old KLJ-7 specifications.

Nose cone increased to what? I know there was an article saying it could be increased from 600mm diameter to 660mm! I am not sure/I don't know if that was actually done ...???

@Tempest

The current nose diameter is actually 664 mm instead of the original 600. Same as Mirage 2000 nose cone size

may be its radar is bigger thats why its nose is bigger to instal it in the nose

@taimikhan

KLJ-7 is actually down-sized KLJ-10 to fit into jf-17's nose. Both of them have almost same capabilities so i see no reason to go for it. As for JL-10, hardly, as it is even bigger in size than KLJ-10 and has had its share of problems for many years. Also, it was primary meant for a strike aircraft like the JH-7A.

Last edited:

may be its radar is bigger thats why its nose is bigger to instal it in the nose
It is not the 'nose' but the fuselage that matter, particularly the wall that separate the 'nose' area from the rest of the body. It is the wall's dimensions. That is where the radar antenna is mounted. If this wall and radome volumn can accommodate a larger antenna, no problem installing the larger one.

There is an inverse relationship between antenna dimension and beamwidth, meaning the larger the antenna the smaller the beamwidth. The smaller the beamwidth the better the target resolutions, particularly when dealing with fighters who can turn bombers when necessary. The danger here is distance. For the average X-band fighter aircraft radar, at 100km for example, multiple targets must be separated by about 5km in order for the radar to distinguish them apart. Against aircrafts like the B-52 or the C-5 this separation is necessary. But against Tornados or Aardvarks or Strike Eagles? No problems deceiving the defenders by flying fully loaded and tight ala 'Thunderbirds' or 'Red Arrows'. Smaller beamwidth reduces, but not necessarily negate, this tactical advantage by the attackers. The 100-200 km distance is crucial as this is range is limited by fighter aircrafts' radars. This is why the F-14 and F-15 have such large antennas. But they can carry large antennas because they are large aircrafts to start.

Next issue is antenna mass, particularly when it is moving and moving under high g maneuvers. The actuating motors must be of the highest caliber in every aspects, from design to material to assembly. It must capable of sweeping the antenna against forces and keep the mass stable throughout its sweep range. The word 'against' here is important as the motors must have total control of the antenna's inertia regardless of whether the sweep direction is the same as the maneuver's direction, or not, and this can change in an instant in a fight. The greater this mechanical 'jitter' factor the greater the system's self induced noise. Not good when the pilot is fighting for his life and his nation's cause. A really really really bad antenna assembly will render the entire radar system worthless, flop around inside the radome and inducing unwanted forces into the fuselage, possibly sending the aircraft out of control. But this would be discovered, contracts canceled and heads lopped off, literally and/or figuratively, in the eval period.

thanx for info talim khan like a hittler to me plz be calm. and give some space for members to breath thanx if u do it

It is not the 'nose' but the fuselage that matter, particularly the wall that separate the 'nose' area from the rest of the body. It is the wall's dimensions. That is where the radar antenna is mounted. If this wall and radome volumn can accommodate a larger antenna, no problem installing the larger one.

There is an inverse relationship between antenna dimension and beamwidth, meaning the larger the antenna the smaller the beamwidth. The smaller the beamwidth the better the target resolutions, particularly when dealing with fighters who can turn bombers when necessary. The danger here is distance. For the average X-band fighter aircraft radar, at 100km for example, multiple targets must be separated by about 5km in order for the radar to distinguish them apart. Against aircrafts like the B-52 or the C-5 this separation is necessary. But against Tornados or Aardvarks or Strike Eagles? No problems deceiving the defenders by flying fully loaded and tight ala 'Thunderbirds' or 'Red Arrows'. Smaller beamwidth reduces, but not necessarily negate, this tactical advantage by the attackers. The 100-200 km distance is crucial as this is range is limited by fighter aircrafts' radars. This is why the F-14 and F-15 have such large antennas. But they can carry large antennas because they are large aircrafts to start.

Next issue is antenna mass, particularly when it is moving and moving under high g maneuvers. The actuating motors must be of the highest caliber in every aspects, from design to material to assembly. It must capable of sweeping the antenna against forces and keep the mass stable throughout its sweep range. The word 'against' here is important as the motors must have total control of the antenna's inertia regardless of whether the sweep direction is the same as the maneuver's direction, or not, and this can change in an instant in a fight. The greater this mechanical 'jitter' factor the greater the system's self induced noise. Not good when the pilot is fighting for his life and his nation's cause. A really really really bad antenna assembly will render the entire radar system worthless, flop around inside the radome and inducing unwanted forces into the fuselage, possibly sending the aircraft out of control. But this would be discovered, contracts canceled and heads lopped off, literally and/or figuratively, in the eval period.

Very good post Gambit. I learnt a lot here - an area of radar design/selection I had never considered. Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom