What's new

It's Time to Send Pakistan's Army Back to the Barracks

This is one of those articles that brings a "Oh yeah.. sure".. smile on one's face. Perhaps if I put this through Turnitin(for plagiarism Checks) it'll probably come across red all over for multiple copy paste's from other overly gung ho articles from the WSJ, ToI etc.

As they say.. check the facts before going out with a piece. Oh wait a minute.. look at the author.. head of "Business Executives for National security".. well that sounds really investigative. Bombs came from fertilizer .. You dont say.. ever heard of Pakistan's mainstay? called Agriculture?? its the main industry?? What da ya propose Mr Businessman? I.D checks on every poor farmer that buys Urea for his crops? Hmm? lets see.. thats about 20 million people..that should be easy.

And oh.. nuclear inspections.. yeah.. sure.. our nukes are lying by the side of the road..

We supported the Taliban.. oh yeah.. since you left us with a civil war in Afghanistan and millions of them ungrateful folks here too.. who ate our food, lived on our land.. brought in crime and drugs.. and then have the guile to whine about us supporting the Taliban who were also Afghans that got sick of the constant fighting in their lands.
So you sanctioned us after our tests(because we just weren't supposed to reply to a neighbor that dreams up of creative ways to undermine us since its not sporting).. left us isolated.. and we were still supposed to keep hostile neighbors on both sides.
Btw.. did someone mention to these Business Executives that their community tried to engage the Taliban in 96 for gas and mineral exploration? Nah!!... we all have short memories.
And I be aghast if mention of the Saudi's going into Afg in the 90's comes to light.. apparently to counter Iran.. they are allies..

Ah... two bit articles.. dont you just love em??

Everything in the article is true and all but these things have been said again and again. Nothing new.

The real question is , does America really plan to do something about it ?

Brief points.

US has always supported the military and now they whine.

Pakistan cannot stop supporting some afghan taliban groups unless it has assurances that the Durand line would not be exploited by India and the Northern Alliance.

Pakistan is in a mess because it had poor leadership and exploitative neighbours and superpowers.

You are blaming other 'countries', I only named one.

Other than that, is a class of history you are telling me but the fact is till date pakistan is supporting all individual armed groups against central governments in Afghanistan be it Taliban, Haqqani or Hekmatyar.

pakistan should continue supporting these groups if they are becuase these tajiks and darris shouldnt be allowed to take over that country.

pakistan needs to be able to control that countries politics like it always has.

Everything in the article is true and all but these things have been said again and again. Nothing new.

The real question is , does America really plan to do something about it ?

if they could do something about it they would've done it long ago just like the indian media american media need to pound their chests as well.

Afghans were modern and liberal like Europeans. Pakistan based fundamentalists radicalized the Afghan society.

Modern and liberal like Europeans?
:omghaha::rofl:good one:lol:

Guess who radicalized Pakistan? The good ol' sheikhs and kings of wahhabi/salafi Saudi Arabia

Come back when you are ready to answer me point by point in the above post. Pakistan is indespensible from the Afghan calculas so is Afghanistan from ours.

As far as i am concerned, we did more good to A'stan than bad. Peshawar accord,Islamabad declaration,Saving both Burhanuddin Rabbani and Ahmad shah mehsud's life and not to forget hosting and feeding fifth of your total population.

Even today, we are spearheading Qatar process,encouraging Taliban to talk to Iran and ourselves reaching out to the northereners including Dostam.

If we are going to have a transaction,it has to be both ways,where our legit interests are met. Post 2014 A'stan will need us before anyone else.

A'stan would have to choose between becoming an unthankful friend or a true friend with mutual interests at heart.

Like I said pakistan always supported/supports individual groups not the central governments and you are yourself admitting it.

hehehehe funny thing is sir i was born in Canada but lived there in Pakistan for a brief 2 years when i was a little boy and came back.

I wish you had a safe trip there and returned to Canada in one piece sir :)

Afganistan didn't have a centeral govt since 1979. If you are asking me to accept Najibullah as a true Afghan leader whom we should have embraced than you would be disappointed.

Burhanuddin Rabbani, whom i have a great deal of respect for,may his soul rest in peace,did form a leadership in Kabul. Which we had facilitated and helped to create through Peshawar accord.

Masood and Hikmatyar didn't see eye to eye,we brought him to the table,along with Jalaluddin Haqqani, they joined the accord while Hikmatyar walked out. Later he joined the establishment of Kabul until him and Masood broke up again.

Later it was us who made another effort to reconcile the splinter groups through Islamabad declaration. No other nation in the region made any serious attempt to bring a govt in Kabul to avoid warlords from butchering each other....not even Iran.

We offered the Yanks to help handover OBL 3 times just after 9/11 to avoid Afghan's invasion. They refused to take him every single time,instead they chose war because the N.Alliance and mainly Masood had assured them of the supply of 'men' if Americans provide weapons.

Remember that there were only a small numbers of US spec ops landed in the North who then lead thousands of N.Alliance Afghans against Afghans.

It was us who convinced the Talibs to withdraw from Kandahar to avoid the Afghan vs Afghan bloodbath that we had seen earlier in Kabul.

You tell me if we don't want a centeral govt in Afghanistan, then why are we releasing Taliban leadership to go to Qatar and Iran,instead of keeping them to let them lose after 2014...if we wana play dirty?

Be sure to judge us on our merit not pre conceived notions. We will support upcoming Kabul govts, as long as they don't turn Afghan soil into an Indian air craft carrier....that wont help our collective interests.

Regards.

@Sher Malang

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sure we must establish barracks in FATA and recruit more soldiers to cater to the needs.

Thanks stained -ly we will think over the idea.

Modern and liberal like Europeans?
:omghaha::rofl:good one:lol:

Guess who radicalized Pakistan? The good ol' sheikhs and kings of wahhabi/salafi Saudi Arabia

Sir just look at the pictures of Afghan Girls in Kabul of 1972 you would found them in skirts Sir Many Afghan girls used to wear skirts Sir first know history of an area than comment

Sir just look at the pictures of Afghan Girls in Kabul of 1972 you would found them in skirts Sir Many Afghan girls used to wear skirts Sir first know history of an area than comment

Exactly. That's what I was referring to but some people thought I was trolling. Afghan society was indeed more liberal and westernized before the Taliban mess

Exactly. That's what I was referring to but some people thought I was trolling. Afghan society was indeed more liberal and westernized before the Taliban mess

No before Russia attacked them than they came close to Islam and Taliban came in 1996 and Afghanistan was pretty Islamized before that because of Russian attack

....and who are "Taliban",did they just drop off the sky after the war?

.....and who were "Mujahideen" ?

......and they were living on an asteroid before?

....you have no grip on who Mujahideen were..

One bad thing about ignorance is that it can be sold to some but not to all....Do you even know about the timeline of what you have been writting?

By now,informed readers know "who" is confused here.

some simple info.."Taliban" was created in 1991...yes,you can trace back the source of the root of this kind of movement since Mujahideen,but Taliban,which is a a movement originating from Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-run religious schools for Afghan refugees in Pakistan,came after that.and they faught against political parties,as well as Mujahideen groups which signed Peshwar accord of power sharing.please post about the origin of taliban.and I said correctly,USA never supported Talliban,they supported Mujahideen groups to fight against Soviets.Pakistan supported both Gulbuddin Hekmatyar's Hezb-e Islami as well as Taliban,both of whom fought against Afghan political parties..share contradictory info,and not some blank words if you can..

Like I said pakistan always supported/supports individual groups not the central governments and you are yourself admitting it.

I wish you had a safe trip there and returned to Canada in one piece sir :)

yes sir i did arrive in one peace. but your country has left me with PDS which only your afgan kush can solve!
ghotta love the Canadian medical system :p:lol:

Back
Top Bottom