What's new

Indian Special Forces

Guys here's an interesting pic:

cmdo.png

Airforce Commando on vigil - Aero India 2013: Bangalore gears up for South Asia's biggest airshow | The Economic Times

Taken at Yelahanka AFB during A1 2013. Is identified as IAF Garud.

Interestingly he is wearing MARPAT digicam (which no IAF Garud other was seen wearing throughout the entire AI show). I wonder if he is really a Garud but if not who then? The only other unit we know that uses this camo in India is the CRPF's CoBRAs and I don't see why they'd be anywhere near Aero India.
@Koovie @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @Water Car Engineer @Sergi any ideas?
I am bad at identification. But can you tell one thing.
A new force is carved out of CISF for airport protection. And they are equipped with fancy gadgets ( hope good training also ). The guy might be one of them. But can't say for sure that these guies are posted at aero India

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from his camo everything else is standard issue Army SF...can be Para Sf but they don't use this camo same goes for Garud, Marcos and even NSG.

Railway Police and COBRA use this camo but I don't see the need of them being in Aero India.

I have no idea who he is and all I can say is that near the place which is Yelehanka where Aero India is taking place there is a BSF training centre and also Crpf Centre besides there is Parachute regtt centre in Bangalore...so could be anyone!

how many special forces does india have ?

PARA SF---->ARMY

MARCOS---->NAVY

GARUD---->AIR FORCE

These are the only SF and the Special Units are:-
NSG---->Anti-Hijacking and Anti terrorist unit also is home to the nation's premier bomb squad.

SG----Top secret unit under Special Frontier Force.

Other Airborne unit--Para Commando and Special Frontier Force.

Rashtriya Rifles--the biggest and battle hardened anti terrorist force...has over thousands of terrorist kills.

COBRA--Anti Naxal force
Besider this state police have elite units like Delhi Police has SWAT,Mumbai Police has F1 and Punjab,j&k,Karnataka and many more states have their elite counter terrorism units.

PARA SF---->ARMY

MARCOS---->NAVY

GARUD---->AIR FORCE

These are the only SF and the Special Units are:-
NSG---->Anti-Hijacking and Anti terrorist unit also is home to the nation's premier bomb squad.

SG----Top secret unit under Special Frontier Force.

Other Airborne unit--Para Commando and Special Frontier Force.

Rashtriya Rifles--the biggest and battle hardened anti terrorist force...has over thousands of terrorist kills.
Besider this state police have elite units like Delhi Police has SWAT,Mumbai Police has F1 and Punjab,j&k,Karnataka and many more states have their elite counter terrorism units.
thanks for the info

Guys here's an interesting pic:

cmdo.png

Airforce Commando on vigil - Aero India 2013: Bangalore gears up for South Asia's biggest airshow | The Economic Times

Taken at Yelahanka AFB during A1 2013. Is identified as IAF Garud.

Interestingly he is wearing MARPAT digicam (which no IAF Garud other was seen wearing throughout the entire AI show). I wonder if he is really a Garud but if not who then? The only other unit we know that uses this camo in India is the CRPF's CoBRAs and I don't see why they'd be anywhere near Aero India.
@Koovie @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @Water Car Engineer @Sergi any ideas?

Mhhh I doubt that the CRPF would guard any military installations, most probably the usual uniform mess in the military ^^

PS: You could see non Garud security forces with OFB made AKs and INSAS ARs in many news reports though. But I guess they are Police units... or maybe CISF? :undecided:
Aero%20India%20eve%20%286%29.jpg

I am bad at identification. But can you tell one thing.
A new force is carved out of CISF for airport protection. And they are equipped with fancy gadgets ( hope good training also ). The guy might be one of them. But can't say for sure that these guies are posted at aero India

Yes CISF has some new toys like MP 5s with gun sights. You can see them in airports now. But I think they wont guard Air Force bases.
However, you could see non Garud security forces with OFB made AKs and INSAS ARs in many news reports though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes CISF has some new toys like MP 5s with gun sights. You can see them in airports now. But I think they wont guard Air Force bases.
However, you could see non Garud security forces with OFB made AKs in many news reports though.

Guard perimeters are multilayer. And generally outer perimeters are given to the force that knows the area better.

And the fancy stuff doesn't end at mp-5s and sights. They got more. Waite for few months you will see them on airports everywhere.

Guard perimeters are multilayer. And generally outer perimeters are given to the force that knows the area better.

And the fancy stuff doesn't end at mp-5s and sights. They got more. Waite for few months you will see them on airports everywhere.

Yes its unlikely that the Garuds guard the outer areas of AI, but these guys are quite close to the heart of the show.

Can anyone ID them?

Aero%20India%20eve%20%286%29.jpg

PS: I only mentioned the new MP5s because I was surprised to see them when I saw them a few months ago in Cochin^^

From Kunal B. from another forum:

NSG women commandos, note the SMG, a MP 9

commandosd.jpg

dca499920e09.jpg

A lady IA officer with a Para badge .

Picture from BR.

dca499920e09.jpg

A lady IA officer with a Para badge .

Picture from BR.
This has been debated a lot! ANY IA soldier can become parachute-qualified and earn these airborne wings just by going through a 4-6 month airborne qualification course. This doesn't make the recipient of the wings SF or a commando, it is simply another badge/qualification like marksmen or gunner. The military gives you access to opportunities you are never going to get in the civilian world.

Guys for SF there is the SF tab for identification and not parachute wings.Being Airborne is not being SF.Almost every branch of the IA has Airborne components from Nurses to Combat sappers...it won't be wise to call a airborne qualified nurse as a super commando,is it?

Guys for SF there is the SF tab for identification and not parachute wings.Being Airborne is not being SF.Almost every branch of the IA has Airborne components from Nurses to Combat sappers...it won't be wise to call a airborne qualiued nurse as a super commando,is it?

+100, couldn't have put it better myself mate!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom