What's new

Indian Rivers Inter-link

Gujarat has interlinked 20 rivers in state thus solved water crisis they were facing in some areas of state few years back.

Barrages are used to control the amount of water passing through the structure amd canals are also not used for interlinkin rivers.

The first link you gave is totally out of context.
Second link talks about list of barrages and dams.
Third link talks about barrages on Indus river.
canals r not used to interlink rivers?? U got to be kidding me. The rivers which u had stopped under indus water treaty were interlinker by existing rivers through barrages and canals in order to keep them running. Barrages may not be used directly for interlinkages but they do play a critical role in storing waters so that they can be shifted through canals from one place to another.

canals r not used to interlink rivers?? U got to be kidding me. The rivers which u had stopped under indus water treaty were interlinker by existing rivers through barrages and canals in order to keep them running. Barrages may not be used directly for interlinkages but they do play a critical role in storing waters so that they can be shifted through canals from one place to another.
Canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because excess water during rainy season will be needed to store in reservoirs which will then be circulated across river system during draught using high capacity pumps. Yes we are not talking about draining the river dry and we are also not talking about a drop of water during summer when we already face water crunch.

No. It does not rail evenly in the country so there is no need to store excess water, it will be drained into other rivers using the linking canals. In fact the entire yearly floods we experience will come to an end. Increasing the water flow over land will also increase the ground water levels in the country. This has been demonstrated in Gujarat and MP.

Ken and Betwa rivers in the states of Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Madhya Pradesh (MP) have already been linked. In the next phase, river Gambhir, Parvati and Kalisindh will be linked with the Narmada. So far there has been NO ecological damage but a VERY positive development of the local economy and water and sanitation of the linked areas. The Ken-Betwa Link Project has ensure irrigation and water supplies to Chatarpur, Tikamgarh, Panna, Raisen and Vidisha districts of Madhya Pradesh, and Hamirpur, Banda and Jhansi districts in Uttar Pradesh.

costly_deadlock_map1.jpg

You are making it sound so simple and harmless, however sundarbon is infinite times more important than some canals.

Irrespective of how it sounds to you the lives of a 1.2 billion people are infinitely more important that some apocalyptic fears.

Tamil Nadu has already taken up projects to link ALL its rivers. It will be done in 3 phase.

Three major projects to link rivers in Tamil Nadu will be completed in next five years.

Phase 1: Tamirabharani, the Nambiyaru and the Karimeniyaru rivers will be linked.

Phase 2: Linking of the Cauvery, the Kundaru and the Vaigai

Phase 3: Linking of Seyyaru and the Palaru.

vbk-river_1059690f.jpg

Phase I :

river_link_946257f.jpg

Phase II :

600px-Link8.JPG

Last edited:
I know what he meant, the end result would be the same diverting those rivers to go into India would directly affect the flow into Pakistan and Pakistan would have no choice but to go to war because it would be dead anyway.
What difference would it make.
Its not as if we are not used to fighting Pakistan each decade in which thousands die. At least in this case, millions of Indians would benefit.
And for Indians, the life of an Indian is worth more than a Pakistani. Im sure its vice versa for Pakistanis but the ball is in India's court.

What difference would it make.
Its not as if we are not used to fighting Pakistan each decade in which thousands die. At least in this case, millions of Indians would benefit.
And for Indians, the life of an Indian is worth more than a Pakistani. Im sure its vice versa for Pakistanis but the ball is in India's court.

Before Indians could get to see any benefits a war would break out, a war Pakistan cannot win which means it would just hope both lose you can guess the end result. :pop:

@Contrarian

Dont worry hindus are not good enough to take panga with us. Any linking with our rivers mean end of Bharotis ganga filthy people.

Before Indians could get to see any benefits a war would break out, a war Pakistan cannot win which means it would just hope both lose you can guess the end result. :pop:
Sorry, but thats just hyperbole.
You are free to it, but the results on the ground would be otherwise.

Pakistan would stand down after losses with something or the other as a face saving measure. The usual.

@Contrarian

Dont worry hindus are not good enough to take panga with us. Any linking with our rivers mean end of Bharotis ganga filthy people.
Ofcourse. You are right.
But for the future, please avoid quoting my posts or mentioning my name using links.

Thanks.

Sorry, but thats just hyperbole.
You are free to it, but the results on the ground would be otherwise.

Pakistan would stand down after losses with something or the other as a face saving measure. The usual.

Fights over land is different than a fight over water. Pakistan's existence is not in jeopardy if it never gets kashmir but diverting the rivers is a whole different matter. There are definitively red lines where those fancy weapons will finally be forced to come into play.

Fights over land is different than a fight over water. Pakistan's existence is not in jeopardy if it never gets kashmir but diverting the rivers is a whole different matter. There are definitively red lines where those fancy weapons will finally be forced to come into play.
Again, I doubt it.
I think the regular will happen.
Pakistani public is absolutely convinced that India is stealing waters, yet there has been absolutely no reaction.

What makes you think it will be any different when river interlinking projects are completed? Its not as if any of the rivers will be run dry(including the ones that flow to Pakistan), a minimum level will be maintained in each river for ecological reasons as well as for human consumption.

So why would Pakistan complain more than the usual?

Again, I doubt it.
I think the regular will happen.
Pakistani public is absolutely convinced that India is stealing waters, yet there has been absolutely no reaction.

What makes you think it will be any different when river interlinking projects are completed? Its not as if any of the rivers will be run dry(including the ones that flow to Pakistan), a minimum level will be maintained in each river for ecological reasons as well as for human consumption.

So why would Pakistan complain more than the usual?

Current Pakistani claims are unfounded while if India literally diverts the flow on design it would make Pakistani claims legitimate. Most Pakistanis dislike India regardless of the water issue if Pakistani government listen to the citizens there would be a war every other year lol.

Current Pakistani claims are unfounded while if India literally diverts the flow on design it would make Pakistani claims legitimate. Most Pakistanis dislike India regardless of the water issue if Pakistani government listen to the citizens there would be a war every other year lol.
so you are saying all the water are for pakistan and should not take any drop of it?:undecided:

Back
Top Bottom