What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

1547915_402517866558827_1939430791_o.jpg

क्योंकि सिर्फ कुर्सियों पर नहीं,
दिलों पर राज करती है कांग्रेस
Shri Rahul Gandhi interacted with coolies at the New Delhi Railway station. He spoke in context of the Street Vendor’s Bill and listened to their problems and concerns, saying that he will take it up with the Railway ministry.

Narendra Modi taken to task over 'irresponsible', 'wrong statements' in rally

Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today took on Narendra Modi today saying that the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate was 'irresponsible' and had made 'wrong statements' at his rally two days ago.

"Today I got a golden opportunity to expose Narendra Modi.

He is an ordinary man. I have never seen an irresponsible leader like him, and he wants to be the PM of this country,"
Gogoi told a press conference here.

"Modi is shedding only crocodile tears. He remembered Assam only because elections are coming. He remembers only when he lands at Borjhar Airport in Guwahati and forgets it when he leaves... During Atal Bihari Vajpayee's tenure, Assam got nothing," Gogoi said.

He alleged that Modi was a "dedicated and committed volunteer of RSS, which had killed Mahatma Gandhi".

On Modi's jibe that Gogoi whose name meant young should also think young, he said "My modern outlook and his modern outlook are different. His modernity is about how to dress and talk with big American companies, but mine is to work for rural people, for the aam aadmi."

Citing figures, he said "As per Government of India figures, the Gross State Domestic Products of Assam is 13 per cent in 2012-13, while it is 8.52 per cent in Gujarat."

Gogoi said, "My spending on development is much higher. During NDA's time in the 11th Finance Commission, Assam got Rs 13,280.86 crore. It went up to Rs 57,832.7 crore during the 13th Finance Commission."

Assam's overall debt to Rs 1,76,500 crore to Gujarat, Gogoi said.

"As on March 2013, the per capita loan burden of my state is Rs 9,368, while it is Rs 29,228 in Modi's state," he said.

Speaking about MGNREGA, he said Modi had given completely wrong figures.

"In Assam, 40.92 lakh job cards were issued and 13.08 lakh people got jobs. Whereas in Gujarat, 36.60 lakh people were issued job cards, but only 1.75 lakh got jobs,"
he added.

On government spending, Gogoi said Assam spent 25.08 per cent of total budget in education, sports, art and culture as against 17.13 per cent by Gujarat.

"In rural development and medical and public health, I am spending 3.13 per cent and 4.80 per cent respectively of my total budget, while Modi is spending 2.8 per cent and 4.6 per cent respectively," he added.

Gogoi, however, said Gujarat was spending more on urban development projects than Assam.

"In overall health index, Assam's position in India is 3rd compared to 13th of Gujarat.

In education, our ranking is 13th, while Gujarat's position is 20th," he claimed.

Gogoi also claimed that the number of crimes in his state was less than Gujarat.

He said that Assam was affected by problems like insurgency, illegal migrants issue, flood and economic backwardness, which Gujarat did not encounter.

"Modi was never in a bad financial position. Gujarat was always comfortable since independence.

When I took over, Assam's economy was bankrupt, there was no salary, law and order was bad. But we have done good from there," Gogoi said.

He also said that that Bhupen Hazarika, despite being a BJP Lok Sabha member, the Assam government took the burden of his medical expenses during his illness.

Narendra Modi taken to task over 'irresponsible', 'wrong statements' in rally - Financial Express

1560402_591176907604460_1144365514_n.jpg

The fact of the matter is, BJP will never convince more than 35% or so of voters that it is the best option for the LS elections. That's a little more than 1 in 3 people, in reality, 2 out of every 3 people you meet will be anti-Modi.
Not true. People may be indifferent towards Modi but no way hate him specially when all the dirty games of Congress are getting exposed. I would say less than 10% would be hateful of him that too in the name of religion. Even Muslims are turning fans of Modi in reallity so god knows how you reached 2 out of 3 number.

Last edited:
Modi sets conditions, US swallows
Meet on third attempt

CHARU SUDAN KASTURI
12nancy.jpg
Nancy Powell
New Delhi, Feb. 11: The US made Narendra Modi wait for more than eight years. But in the end, it was the Gujarat chief minister who forced Washington to plead — not once, not twice, but thrice in the past three months before agreeing to terminate a diplomatic spat that began when the US denied Modi a visa in 2005.

US ambassador to India Nancy Powell will meet Modi on Thursday in Gandhinagar, ending America’s boycott of the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate ahead of the Lok Sabha elections where he is widely viewed as a front-runner.

But it is the US embassy here that was eventually made to sweat for the meeting by Modi after a series of tense attempts at ice-breaking that failed, Indian and American officials aware of the details of the outreach have confirmed to The Telegraph.

Modi eventually agreed only to a meet strictly on his terms, the officials said. The location had to be Gandhinagar; the choice of subjects had to be in tune with his national role; and the US had to discomfit his rivals, the Congress-led central government, by obtaining its approval for the meeting even though Modi and Powell could have circumvented the foreign ministry nod.

The US, left alone in its boycott of Modi for the 2002 Gujarat riots after the European Union and Britain made up with him, accepted the conditions.

“He got what he wanted, and he got it exactly the way he wanted,” an official said. “In the end, they (the US) were chasing him.”

Modi first snubbed the US in November, when the American embassy requested a meeting between Powell and him in New Delhi on the margins of a series of rallies he was to hold in the last week of the month leading up to state elections in the capital.

A meeting on the sidelines of a public event would have helped Washington limit the criticism of an about-turn on its human rights concerns that a full-fledged, one-on-one meet would trigger.

It would also eliminate the need for Powell to seek prior approval from the external affairs ministry. The foreign office, under diplomatic protocol, only expects to be consulted for pre-scheduled, one-on-one meetings between foreign diplomats and constitutional office-holders in India. The foreign ministry, officials confirmed, was not told about the attempted November meet.

But Modi refused to meet Powell on the sidelines of any public event in New Delhi, insisting that any meeting take place in his Gandhinagar office.

The US embassy spokesperson hinted at the November attempt at brokering a truce, but did not comment on details.

“This (the February 13 meeting) is a part of our concerted outreach to senior political and business leaders that began in November to highlight the India-US relationship,” the spokesperson told The Telegraph.

The second snub came in December, when US Congresswoman Madeleine Bordallo from Barack Obama’s Democratic Party wanted to meet Modi along with five Republican Congressmen. Republican Congressmen had earlier too met Modi, but the presence of a Democrat was meant to signal a thaw from Obama’s party.

But Modi turned down a meet with the delegation, citing the arrest of diplomat Devyani Khobragade in New York on charges of visa fraud.

The Gujarat government then told the US embassy that Powell would need the foreign ministry’s approval for a meeting with Modi. The US embassy wrote to the foreign ministry in January, officials said.

Although Modi and the Congress leadership have traded vitriolic barbs in election campaigning, the government had no reason to block the meeting, and approved it on February 7, officials said.

When foreign diplomats meet chief ministers, talks usually revolve around investment. But Modi and Powell will talk about India-US relations, in a willing recognition by Washington that he may be Prime Minister in a few months.

Modi’s snubs appear rooted both in the US delay in breaking the ice with him, and in a specific spat in September 2013.

The BJP had invited Powell to attend Modi’s rally in Delhi on September 29, but the US embassy indicated that Powell would not be able to attend the event.

Washington had begun a thaw in ties with Modi that began on November 16, 2010, when then American consul-general in Mumbai Michael Owen met him in Gandhinagar.

But in September, 2013, the US was still contemplating whether to formally signal an end to its boycott --- a message that would need a meeting between Modi and a senior representative of the Obama administration like the American ambassador to India.

The European Union’s top envoy in India and the ambassadors of Italy, Germany, Greece and six other European nations had already met Modi earlier in the year. And in October, British high commissioner James Bevan travelled to Gandhinagar to meet Modi, the highest diplomatic contact between the UK and the chief minister since the riots.

An angry BJP withdrew the September invitation, leaving US officials worried that they may have burnt under-construction bridges with Modi, who had earlier that month been declared the party’s prime ministerial candidate. This Thursday, the reconstruction will start.
Modi sets conditions, US swallows

Today i was speaking with some people from Bhubaneswar...They are strong BJD supporter through generations and here is their feedback..

1- BJP is gaining good momentum in Odisha cortesy only Modi...No one knows much about any state level leaders of Odisha.
2- There is a possibility that BJP may end up getting 4-5 seats at the expense of 1 from BJD and 3 from Congress.
3- The rally at Bhubaneswar is a hugely successful rally knowing well that they do not have a strong presence in Odisha..
4- Yesterday Bhubaneswar is on standstill as the BJP rally has a very good impact in the capital itself.
5- Many BJD supporter and significant Congress support base will switch loyality to BJP with assumption that BJP should not try to say anything against Naveen Pattanaik...Becuase rise of BJP in Center can not be at the expense of BJD...BJD is still the most popular pary...But BJP can play smart to differential the leadership issue of Delhi and Bhubaneswar that will atract major vote bank of BJD to BJP.

So i wih and hope that local leaders of BJP will try hard to convert it into seats...And another more intresting thing, you will be surpised to know that BJP Odisha unit has young Muslim leaders who hold very prominent position in BJP state level...I am still wondering why BJP central level leaders are not promoting him....

This is my suggestion about Modi's rally from my home city...

Not true. People may be indifferent towards Modi but no way hate him specially when all the dirty games of Congress are getting exposed. I would say less than 10% would be hateful of him that yoo in the name of religion. Even Muslims are turning fans of Modi in reallity so god knows how you reached 2 out of 3 number.

Vote share dude, BJP even with 272 seats won't get more than 35% or so vote share.

Fair enough. Apparently a lot of people want Modi as PM but aren't voting BJP :|

It's more likely that they like Modi if they are given choices{{amongs these}},CSDS survey W/o naming any choice is much accurate :)

Fair enough. Apparently a lot of people want Modi as PM but aren't voting BJP :|

Forkin Mallus. They are up themselves so much they can't even see Kerala is one of the shittiest states

:disagree:

We need representatives for our identity to not lose in this imposing democracy. That can only be Dravidian parties.

:)

I agree with you.

Forkin Mallus. They are up themselves so much they can't even see Kerala is one of the shittiest states

:disagree:

:)

I agree with you.

We think we are above other Indians when it comes to intellect. I look at it more as a perennial state of constipation. The only reason we are well off is because we have a rich resourceful land with plenty of water and a huge coast.

We think we are above other Indians when it comes to intellect. I look at it more as a perennial state of constipation. The only reason we are well off is because we have a rich resourceful land with plenty of water and a huge coast.

You know what pisses me off the most? The hypocrisy of the labour movement in our state. Malayalees slave away in the gulf with little or no labor laws so that the 'Reds' in our state can drive away industry quoting labor rights.

:disagree: We got somethings right. But we are for all intents and purposes far behind and will continue to fall behind.

गुजरात में २७ गाँव में आज भी दलितों को डर डर के जीवन बिताना पड़ रहा है।

Only 27 out of 18000 villages where Dalits have to fear. This is awesome and impressive. He has reduce the Dalit fear to only 0.15% villages. It should be a roll model for other states which has so many attrocities on Dalit. I hope that they will learn from Modi.

Last edited:
You know what pisses me off the most? The hypocrisy of the labour movement in our state. Malayalees slave away in the gulf with little or no labor laws so that the 'Reds' in our state can drive away industry quoting labor rights.

:disagree: We got somethings right. But we are for all intents and purposes far behind and will continue to fall behind.

We did not get anything right. We just fluked our asses off. HDI was always high in Kerala, no thanks to any government since independence

Food security and nutrition was never a problem due to location and abundance of water.
Kerala was always the centre of pioneering healthcare and is far ahead of other states in Ayurveda.
Christian missions to promote their faith put up a lot of schools, but literacy was always given prominence.
Not to mention Kerala historically had the richest trading ports anywhere is the world for centuries.

Back
Top Bottom