What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

INS Sahyadri sets out from Pearl Harbour to take part in the sea phase of RIMPAC-2014 -

BsGu_vCCEAIr_MP.jpg:large

BsGu_wUCQAAF1cX.jpg:large

RIAN_02462485.HR.ru_L.jpg

The destroyer Ranvijai is moored during the welcoming ceremony for the Indian Navy’s warships. The ships include the Ranvijai, the Shivalik frigate and the Shakti, supply vessel, which have sailed to Vladivostok for the INDRA-2014 joint naval exercises. Source: Vitaliy Ankov / RIA Novosti

HE07.jpg

HE09.jpg

HE10.jpg

Pipavav Dry docks -

comm_shipbuilding_01.jpg

DSC_7975.jpg

DSC_8313.jpg

DSC_8336.jpg

Picture_171.jpg

ShipRepairs01.jpg

Now this is called a real shipyard. Not those crappy state-run crackhouses that look more like scrapyards and
take decades to deliver each vessel.

Only rarely one come across Indian establishments where the workers where overalls,helmets and other gears properly.

HE07.jpg

HE09.jpg

HE10.jpg

Pipavav Dry docks -

comm_shipbuilding_01.jpg

DSC_7975.jpg

DSC_8313.jpg

DSC_8336.jpg

Picture_171.jpg

ShipRepairs01.jpg

Now this is called a real shipyard. Not those crappy state-run crackhouses that look more like scrapyards and
take decades to deliver each vessel.
man this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then any state run small clumsy shipyard evey staterun and private like L&T should have like this...

@Gessler Pipavav and L&T's Kattupalli are the future, although MDL is no pushover after its modernization either. The issue is not primarily with the yards (in relative terms, of course introduction of modular construction and fab processes was a must and is being undertake, other than that some union issues are there) but with the fitment since we don't produce a lot of what we fit into these ships (and procurement being so slow and filled with fu#kery, tender processes, fresh tenders for even the smallest of batches) and that ends up costing us so much time, case in point the Kolkatas where pictures back from 09 and 10 show that the yard had done its primary job of building the ship (hull and superstructure etc.) quite quickly but then a mountain of delays (from propulsion to sensors) got us down.

On topic though, the private yards need more orders and scope for building up in-house design expertise (rather than working on imported designs or even just sticking to NDB's stuff).

@Gessler Pipavav and L&T's Kattupalli are the future, although MDL is no pushover after its modernization either. The issue is not primarily with the yards (in relative terms, of course introduction of modular construction and fab processes was a must and is being undertake, other than that some union issues are there) but with the fitment since we don't produce a lot of what we fit into these ships (and procurement being so slow and filled with fu#kery, tender processes, fresh tenders for even the smallest of batches) and that ends up costing us so much time, case in point the Kolkatas where pictures back from 09 and 10 show that the yard had done its primary job of building the ship (hull and superstructure etc.) quite quickly but then a mountain of delays (from propulsion to sensors) got us down.

On topic though, the private yards need more orders and scope for building up in-house design expertise (rather than working on imported designs or even just sticking to NDB's stuff).

...and work shifts! Don't forget the work shifts! State-run yards have 2 shifts a day I think while private ones often have
3 shifts a day, plus from what I've learnt from PSG, the workers at the state-run yards often don't start the real work until late
into the shift so as to cross the shift line and claim overtime!

Such nonsense isn't allowed to happen in the private yards.

...and work shifts! Don't forget the work shifts! State-run yards have 2 shifts a day I think while private ones often have
3 shifts a day, plus from what I've learnt from PSG, the workers at the state-run yards often don't start the real work until late
into the shift so as to cross the shift line and claim overtime!

Such nonsense isn't allowed to happen in the private yards.
I can't believe much Mr PSG has to say to be honest @Gessler but I always appreciate your posts and contributions.

@Penguin Do you think there would be an advantage in opting for options such as the Nulka CM system? It appears to have a very small footprint, by the looks of the MK 137 MOD 7 launcher, probably minimal or no below deck penetration, and some winning attributes. Would it be worth it? What can it add to a layered AAW/self protection suite of a vessel?

Back
Top Bottom