What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

There seems to be plenty of space for CFTs, irrespective of the fact that the EW sensors on the Fulcrum-K re western/Israeli what I wanted to know about was the existence/absence/future plans regarding omni-directional MAWS being present on the aircraft.

So far no CFTs are under development and who would pay for it anyway? The Russians see the Mig 29K only as a stopgap till the N-Pak Fa is ready.

From BR:

Self Defence: The Russian-made IRCM (Infra-Red Counter Measures) system comprises two 16-round flare dispensers located on the sides of the engine nacelles, below the fins and fire downwards. The calibre of the flares has been increased to 50mm, which increases their burn time & heat signature and thus offering greater protection against heat-seeking missiles. The electronic warfare (EW) suite consists of the indigenous Tarang RWR (Radar Warning Receiver) and Elta's EL/L-8222 ECM pod. A pair of ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) transponders, in the wing strake, are built into the upper surfaces of the main wing.

...NAVY/Aviation/Aircraft/125-Mig-29k.html

Doesn't mention any MAWS, but if we upgrade them it should be Indian once, since we use UV MAWS from BEL at LCA and for the next MKI upgrade.

So far no CFTs are under development and who would pay for it anyway? The Russians see the Mig 29K only as a stopgap till the N-Pak Fa is ready.

From BR:

...NAVY/Aviation/Aircraft/125-Mig-29k.html

Doesn't mention any MAWS, but if we upgrade them it should be Indian once, since we use UV MAWS from BEL at LCA and for the next MKI upgrade.

Hmmmm yes, integrating indigenous MAWS is far better an idea. What abut self protection jammers? I admire the configuration on the 35, one SOAR MAWS behind the cockpit and anther right behind the engine intake. We are going to be using these birds for a good amount of time, probably in parallel with the N-FGFA if and when it takes to the skies. It would make sense to give it the best self-protection suite possible. Oh well, its up to the babus.

Hmmmm yes, integrating indigenous MAWS is far better an idea. What abut self protection jammers? I admire the configuration on the 35, one SOAR MAWS behind the cockpit and anther right behind the engine intake. We are going to be using these birds for a good amount of time, probably in parallel with the N-FGFA if and when it takes to the skies. It would make sense to give it the best self-protection suite possible. Oh well, its up to the babus.

The jammers were mentioned in the BR article, the BEL MAWS often have more sensors all around the airframe:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MN1FqdHMt...U/P8Yw0lq4UBM/s1600/AAR-60V2+MILDS+F+MAWS.jpg

N-FGFA can't be operated from Viki, or IAC1, so that won't have any relations and the next upgrade for the Migs will be around 2020 only I guess.

INS+Vikramaditya+aircraft+carrier+Admiral+Gorshkov+Indian+Navy+STOBAR+MiG-29K+and+Sea+Harrier+ski-jump+Ka-28+ASW+Ka-31+helicopters+AEW+HAL+Tejas+lca-n+fighter+jet+Kiev+class+Bharat+Military+Review+operational+delivered+handed+(3).jpg

MIG-29K Indian Navy's INS Vikramaditya aircraft carrier ~ Global Military Review

@Abingdonboy @sancho The following image illustrates the various sensors present on the Mig-35, is it accurate? IF so what is the scope for integration of such sensors on the Mig-29K as part of a future growth plan? Furthermore could you point out to the RWR, MAWS and SPJs on board the Mig-29K? Are the "SOAR" system (behind the cockpit on the fuselage spine and behind the engine intakes) and the RWR and "SOLO" (both present on the Mig-35's wingtips) system present on the Mig-29K? Any specs on the SOAR? I believe that con-formal fuel tanks and omni-directional MAWS should be made part of any MLU.

mig-35-4.jpg
Sorry, bro- I completely missed this mention. I think @sancho has covered most of it.

But wrt future "growth" prospects- this will have to be paid almost entirely out of the IN's pocket so it would be best for the IN to look to boosting Indian industrial benefits in same way with any MLU/Future growth roadmap ie CFTs, enclosed weapons pods, Kaveri engine, integration with Indian LGBs/missiles (the IN is unlikely to wait to the MLU to integrate such weapons though) etc

With the Rafale coming and its ToT in certain areas, its future roadmap and India's own R&D projects- these plans things are not as absurd as they may appear on the face of it-right now.

Here's hoping bro.........

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to that, EW suit Mig 29 (should be the same for the UPG and the K/KUB):

TEGzN6w.jpg

@sancho- what's your thinking on HAL/DRDO producing a Fulcrum-Growler for IN Carrier Air Wings? Between HAL,DRDO,BEL,ELTA and a few others- this is doable surely?

IIRC, HAL/DRDO had said they were experimenting with a LCA-based dedicated EW a/c.

@sancho- what's your thinking on HAL/DRDO producing a Fulcrum-Growler for IN Carrier Air Wings? Between HAL,DRDO,BEL,ELTA and a few others- this is doable surely?

IIRC, HAL/DRDO had said they were experimenting with a LCA-based dedicated EW a/c.

DARE is developing in that direction, HAL won't have much to do with it, but BEL. The LCA is not a good platform for this, once because of power, but also because it hardly could carry a useful load of jammers and SEAD weapons. The Mig on the other side could carry a centerline jammer, fuel tanks and Kh 31. But with AESA radar jamming, as well as more powerful GaN modules coming in soon, we should take simple systems now (Rafale Skyshield) and focus on these advanced capabilities for FGFA and AMCA.

Can anyone tell me how to counter the AMRAAM's home on jam feature? As I recall fighter tactics would be maneuver to break lock, deploy chaff/flare n try jamming the radar or seeker n the AIM-120 has the feature to exploit this with the home on jamming mode. What counter measures r for that ECCM?

Found this on another forum...

It seems the size of IAC-1's hull(without the ramp and some side assemblies) is about the same
as INS Viraat's entire size.

Although an accurate measurement can only be made after IAC-1 is doing sea trials, where it
may turn out to be a lot bigger because of the additional assemblies that it currently
does not have.

INS Viraat
Displacement: 23,900 tons standard, 28,700 tons full load
Length: 226.5 m (743 ft)
Beam: 48.78 m (160.0 ft)
Draught: 8.8 m (29 ft)

Displacement: INS Vikrant 40,000 tonnes
Length: 262 metres (860 ft)
Beam: 60 metres (200 ft)
Draught: 8.4 metres (28 ft)

Navy Sea Harriers still going strong

So why not INAF bought couple a buch of new ones in 2000 when a newer version was available.... and good deal of old ones as spares from USA, UK and other operators...

This will be helpful not for carriers but also for coastal operations and other operations like against it enemies like UK and USA uses....

@sancho @Abingdonboy Sancho, you had opined that the Americans would probably link handing over the tech for catapult systems or even EMALS with the Super Hornets. IF that were to be true and IF we seriously considered such an offer what sort of issues would arise in terms of excessive fleet diversity and lack of commonality, logistics, maintainability? Also in light of the Hornet International road map (picture and video provided below) what would be the benefits if any? Its all highly speculative but Sancho seemed to be convinced that the Americans would lay forth such a condition.

1866845.jpg

Aero%20India%20Super%20Hornet%20upgrade-thumb-560x374-114263.jpg

Still there are good chances of Super Hornets in INAF because of the fact that the second ad third carrier might have steam catapult from France so Rafael but Super Hornets might be in high chance of induction.

We all heard that INAF had ordered 8 of these but now Boeing is delivering 12 P-8Is means they have ordered 12 instead of official no. of 8. But most seniors suggest that the growing need and good technology is impressing Indians to buy about 30+ P-8Is which means future order for 18 more, very soon.

We see to the Indian Navy as a bright career, but I think, it is not a job for luxury life. It shows the ability to survive in responsibility on your shoulders. It is a security force to secure the ocean borders of India

India's first indigenous aircraft carrier, lead ship of the new Vikrant-class
will be launched on August 12 in Kochi. The ceremony will be presided
over by Defence Minister AK Antony's wife Elizabeth. The ship is
scheduled for commissioning into service towards the end of 2018.

This picture of an impression of the ship was at a briefing on the programme
and other warship projects held today by the navy (which I sadly missed because
I was chained to the studio).

The Vikrant-class ship will sport the Indo-Israeli LR-SAM (Barak-8), which will
also arm the P-15A (Kolkata-class) destroyers, the first of which are to enter
service next year.

Livefist

The ship looks quite nice in this latest official impression.

Back
Top Bottom