PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

India’s Muslims
Growing, and neglected

A steadily rising Muslim population continues to fall behind
Mar 2nd 2013 | AGRA

The moderation is encouraging, especially in the context of a steady rise in India’s Muslim numbers. An official analysis of data by religion from the 2011 census is not yet out. Any delay might be deliberate: to avoid a fuss ahead of general elections, due next year. Higher fertility rates among Muslims might be seen as politically sensitive. Private studies guess that India has about 177m Muslims, comprising 14.6% of the total population. It marks a rise of nearly 40m, or a percentage point, on a decade before. Higher fertility will ensure the upward trend continues. Overall, India’s fertility rate is falling, but among Muslims it is dropping most slowly. Old habits persist. Few Muslim women work outside the home. Contraception is not much used.

Crucially, fertility tends to fall only as poverty drops. Muslims are poorer than average and are heavily present in the big, poor, northern states. According to a study by the Pew Research Centre, India will probably have 236m Muslims in two decades’ time, on a par with Indonesia (which has the world’s biggest Muslim population). That is a lot, but is still under a fifth of India’s total population. In certain states, however, change is more dramatic. In Assam, in the north-east, Muslims now make up a third of the population, a sharp rise in the past two decades (though immigration accounts for some of it).

Where population change is fast, instability may follow. Last year 77 people were killed and 400,000 were displaced in Assam, amid clashes between Muslim settlers and Bodo tribal groups who feel their land is under threat. Still, growing populations alone did not provoke the violence in Assam. Shifting political loyalties were also a factor.

Excerpt: India

Currently Muslims make up 14.6% of the total population in India (according to Economist), just my conjecture Muslims will probably make up approximately 20% of the total Indian population in 2025. Eventually it will get to the point Muslims will hold majority sway in certain large parts of India, especially Deccan.

But discrimination against muslims continues in India!

But discrimination against muslims continues in India!

That will likely change when Muslim population continues to grow and Muslims there aggregate more political power in their localities and areas, it's a question of when not if.

Personally I think, brother u both are wrong and yes our cultures are little different (Indian hindu and Indian muslim) but these never create problems for each others. Maximum Indian muslims know important of education for child just not like our neighbors.

India is a young country and if u talking to any youth than no one think about how is muslim, sikh, hindu, christians and other hindu ST/CST people. we all are facing fair competition for career and growth. Yes, ST/CST having some benefits because reserve quotas and others are same position.

But, Some muslims have so many child's (8-9) because they are backward and not educated that's why they don't know what is family planning and how important is education in our life. I am saying because I saw these things in India. but, I also saw very much educated muslims family who doing better in every fields.

Today, Indian muslims doing better education. they are doing and helping India for developments in all areas. Indian muslims very much strongly says this is our country without any fear. If u can't believe than u need to come India otherwise u believe wh u want to believe.

India is a very big Secularism and there are two parts. some persons are very good and some some persons are very bad. but, we all proud to be an Indian.

actually the height of jahhalat is those who produce anymore than 4 children --especially when economically they are not well off

we value life different than how it's valued in societies like those in Europe; they have few kids but they invest in them. The laws and their ethics compels them to do so. They dont view children as mere future bread-winners

full-time employment prospects and economic prosperity seem to be inversely related with offspring reproduction

this is more of a theory than a fact --- but just look at Singapore and the logic holds quite well

Indian Muslims are working meticulously, almost like a laser beam to make India insolvent with population Jihad - Salman Rushdie

Its a numbers game. But ultimately it would lead to a blood bath for everyone.

Danger to to India is also increasing , As we know huge Number of Muslims Hate every non-Muslim , organizations like IM , Let using them . Crime rate highest among Muslims , Women Subjugation as well .

all these crimes are not exclusive to some Muslim groups in india; RSS track record is much worse, no?

if they werent, then why do Muslims, dalit-caste and Christians have major issues with them?

Danger to to India is also increasing , As we know huge Number of Muslims Hate every non-Muslim , organizations like IM , Let using them . Crime rate highest among Muslims , Women Subjugation as well .

No, it's not true.................... who said only muslin people doing crimes and others are very genuine persons??

Criminals don't have any identity and crime is crime, whatever if any person doing criminal activity against our country than he should be punished.

actually the height of jahhalat is those who produce anymore than 4 children --especially when economically they are not well off

we value life different than how it's valued in societies like those in Europe; they have few kids but they invest in them. The laws and their ethics compels them to do so. They dont view children as mere future bread-winners

full-time employment prospects and economic prosperity seem to be inversely related with offspring reproduction

this is more of a theory than a fact --- but just look at Singapore and the logic holds quite well

Four Children ??

Thats way too many. Not more than two.

It is unfair for a parent to bring another life into this world if he/ she cannot provide for them. It is ridiculous to expect children to be bread winners - thats a parents job.

all these crimes are not exclusive to some Muslim groups in india; RSS track record is much worse, no?

if they werent, then why do Muslims, dalit-caste and Christians have major issues with them?

Sorry brother....RSS and shiv sena are not big factor as u explained. well, all Indians do not support them and they are not so bad as u always says. At least, they are not doing any thing against India and they are not using any arms and killing people. whatever, u going to talk about other nation than 1st need to look our house. if it is clean than u can say anything and advise to others.

But, Congress are just doing politics and not other things. if BJP and RSS are terrorist group than In my point of view Congress party is biggest terrorist group and party in India. they are just CAT and want only profit, they don't care about muslim and others.

Four Children ??

Thats way too many. Not more than two.

It is unfair for a parent to bring another life into this world if he/ she cannot provide for them. It is ridiculous to expect children to be bread winners - thats a parents job.

tell that to those who view things that way

either it's the bread-winner logic; or it's the "I have 2 girls but I will keep going till I get a boy"

tell that to those who view things that way

either it's the bread-winner logic; or it's the "I have 2 girls but I will keep going till I get a boy"

I just told you.

You said that more than 4 is Jahalat - I feel more than than 2 is stupidity.

Sorry brother....RSS and shiv sena are not big factor as u explained. well, all Indians do not support them and they are not so bad as u always says. At least, they are not doing any thing against India and they are not using any arms and killing people. whatever, u going to talk about other nation than 1st need to look our house. if it is clean than u can say anything and advise to others.

But, Congress are just doing politics and not other things. if BJP and RSS are terrorist group than In my point of view Congress party is biggest terrorist group and party in India. they are just CAT and want only profit, they don't care about muslim and others.

no you're right it's okay for them to thrash taxi drivers in Mumbai for not speaking Marathi language; it's okay for them to burn religious places of worship, etc.

it's okay for them to engage in caste-politics

with thinking and apathy such as yours - india will rest assuredly not need external enemies to eventually implode if you really believe the RSS isn't a terrorist or extremist group

I just told you.

You said that more than 4 is Jahalat - I feel more than than 2 is stupidity.

it's arbitrary....forget the numbers, focus on the point i'm making

Back
Top Bottom