What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

Dr. S. Christopher, Director of Centre for Airborne Systems (CABS) talks about India's Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) programme.

Last edited by a moderator:
iaf.jpg

IAF may get 6 sea planes | The Asian Age

Last edited:
Air force gets US planes minus security net

New Delhi, Aug. 2: The Indian Air Force has contracted six aircraft for the special forces for $1 billion without military-grade secure equipment because Washington denied the technology after New Delhi refused to sign a communications secrecy pact.

The air force is now in the process of contracting another 10 very heavy strategic airlifters under the same technology-denial regime for an estimated $3 billion.

India contracted six C-130J Super Hercules in 2007 and the first of these aircraft is likely to be delivered by January 2010 ahead of schedule by its maker, Lockheed Martin, under a government-to-government foreign military sales programme.

One of the scenarios in which the Hercules (“Hercs” for short) is to be used involves inserting special airborne troops (paratroopers) by flying into hostile territory where an adversary can try to intercept and/or jam electronic communication.

“We are aware that some of the equipment we desire may not be available. But it is up to us to use the platform the way we want to with modifications once we have it,” a senior air force officer told The Telegraph.

A US defence official told this newspaper “anything that requires encryption, which includes military-grade global positioning systems (GPS)” will not be mounted on the C-130J or the C-17 Globemaster III (made by Boeing) because India has not yet signed the Communications Inter-Operability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA).

The CISMOA was proposed by the Pentagon to the Indian defence ministry in 2006. A standard text for another crucial agreement, the End-User Monitoring Arrangement, was agreed last year after more than three years of negotiations.

A secure GPS is indispensable for mobile military platforms that are designed to track targets in all-weather and all-time circumstances.

“The military GPS system is encrypted and thus not available without a communications agreement,” the US defence official said. He claimed that “US military equipment is designed utilising the best systems available, such as military-grade GPS, which is more accurate and less likely to be spoofed (intercepted) than civilian GPS”.

Asked if there was any way India could access the equipment without signing the CISMOA, he replied “there is no way around this”. He said the CISMOA would apply to the proposed sale of the C-17 also. Trials for the aircraft were completed last month and the Indian Air Force has decided to buy it.

The four-engine turbo-prop Hercs — a workhorse for the US military — is a “tactical airlifter” with a payload capacity of 20 tonnes or about 120 fully-equipped airborne troops capable of landing on dirt strips and with short take-off and landing capability.

The giant C-17 jet is also rugged but capable of flying much longer distances with much heavier payloads. The Indian Air Force has projected a dire need for these two different classes of aircraft because its Russian/Soviet-origin aircraft are outdated.

The air force is set to order six more Hercs in addition to the six already contracted. The Coast Guard and the Border Security Force are also in line to acquire two Hercs each.

The Hercs are to be based at Hindon, just east of Delhi, where the Indian Air Force base is being refurbished. The Hercs for India have been modified for special missions and are equipped with an infrared detection set for low-level flying in adverse conditions.

Although the communications systems would not have the desired level of security for the Indian Air Force, an official said that India was getting the Hercs with the configuration it wants. They will have self-protection and mid-air refuelling ability. The Hercs is in service in 10 countries.

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

^^ So much for the US plane supporters...I have now a feeling that P-8I may also be flying DABBA...

The only thing missing seem to be the Encryption devices and communications systems.

It doesn't seem to be a major loss , given we can always install our own equipment for that any way.

We want a GPS , GLINASS and INRIS receivers subsequent equipment and we use our own data links so what are we really loosing by not signing these agreements ?

Its just that the GPS available to us is not what US uses.
To be honest, in war time they can still manipulate the GPS wheather we sign the agreement or not (If they want to).

There is no point is abiding by GPS, for all closed operations I think GLONASS and GAGAN will be sufficient.

Even after paying Hard cash they want us to sign agreement so we can use our equipment!!!!!!

All this arm twisting is not due to that USA is vary powerful but it's due to we are VARY WEAK.

Just Fucck the US and go for indigenous and joint venture with Russia, Euro or Israel.

When you sign up for COSMEC

US would have ensured there is no Trojan sitting inside , and would have given very secure crypto keys ,
plus top layer Encryption against cryptoanalytic + spectrum analyzer gear .

Once C130 become part of IODL - even a slight firewall breach at any one gateway of C&C would allow Hackers to know hell about our operations .

But anyways Self-respect comes first , its good that we don't sign CISMOA

Last edited:
When you sign up for COSMEC

US would have ensured there is no Trojan sitting inside , and would have given very secure crypto keys ,
plus top layer Encryption against cryptoanalytic + spectrum analyzer gear .

Once C130 become part of IODL - even a slight firewall breach at any one gateway of C&C would allow Hackers to know hell about our operations .

But anyways Self-respect comes first , its good that we don't sign CISMOA

We can install our own security equipment cant' we
We probably have our Encryption systems that we would have preferred.

Also , I think there will be a trojan sitting inside no matter what we did. It's our responsibility to check those systems upon arrival and hope to get them all.

Also , I think there will be a trojan sitting inside no matter what we did.

My point never mentioned Trojan from US
Read my post again

My context was , Its the trojan from ...you know who (anyone US/China bcoz you are now picking up system from Commercial shelf)

And bcoz of revised contract without CISMOA -

Sec 6.1 of Article 28 of the contract between the two governments states "US will be liable for no penalties in the event that any "malicious code" is detected in the software that governs the P-8I's sensors and systems. " .

Easy said and done we should check and remove Trojan - but where are source codes for all systems running into thousands of lines of programming ???? .

Until you sign CISMOA - No right to cry foul about any Trojan being there (even US has control now to plant software bits to control functioning of avionics and extract relevant data , forget Chinese trojans coming bcoz of non-US equipment suite) .
Who is to be blamed -
US - (No they have every right to do mischief , India has signed contract )
Armed forces (No , until Gov gave them signal , no one would have moved forward)
Gov - (Yes and Yes , should have foreseen problems with CISMOA+BECA+ILA)

If it was so easy ....
Get all cutting edge avionics + put up GPS receiver of choice to receive signals from both Navtrek+Glonass , plus no BECA/CISMOA
all without signing Cismoa ------ much more suited to India and advantage to India ; Correct
But minds sitting in pentagon are not so foolish to allow India do .........

Its the fault of reporting that fails to highlight what equipment is missing from C130 , C17 , P8 of Indian version . That too when country is paying premium price to get Latest version with latest build tech ,

It is like turning blind if we were to believe only Navigation+Communications suits are missing from c130 .

Cismoa is much more than just - crucial avionics, satellite navigation aids, and secure communications equipment missing .
It also has -
Spectrum Management ,
electronic warfare ,
COMSEC ,
OPSEC ,
EMSEC Emission security ,
TRANSEC Transmission security ,
Traffic security ,
Secure Terminal Equipment,
SOI = Signal Operating Instruction
SKL = Simple Key Loader
TPI = Two Person Integrity
STU-III (secure phone)
AKMS = the Army Key Management System .......etc and list goes on .

Is there a substitute of par ---No
Will P8 carry MAD "Magnetic Anomoly Detector" - No
Will c130,c17,P8 carry IFF device - No
Will C130 carry - Terrain Following radar - No
Will C17,C130 package includes FLIR Night/Bad weather navigation - No
Will c130,c17 carry Jammers --No

Crucial avionics goes missing or is downgraded as was stated by Gates

Addressing the press after his meetings in New Delhi, a chagrined Robert Gates pointed out, “These agreements have been laying around for quite a while… this is not some new requirement that has just emerged. [These agreements] are preponderantly in India’s benefit, because they give high-tech systems additional high-tech capabilities… are enablers, if you will, to the very highest quality equipment in the Indian armed forces.”

Look at the price we are paying close to 1.1 bill for 6 C130 ,
Canada got c130 for 65 mill a piece . Isreal got 12 C130 for 1.5 bill

Why are we paying additional , still getting sub-standard equipment in comparison to others

1)Extra punch of superioir avionics - But is india getting that ----NO
2)Boeing Global maintenance network called the Globemaster III Sustainment Partnership, or GSP with Allied countries --- charges US $75 million every year -But will India use it ---NO

How does it matter in scenario of operation -
In the 21st century, communications equipment aren’t just some solid state radios where each side only needs to know a particular frequency to communicate on. Communications equipment are highly complex pieces of computerized hardware running equally complex software and encryption products. Sometimes it’s difficult to get the same equipment with the same country to work properly much less trying to conduct joint operations with different countries using different equipment.

You wont be able to place GPS receiver just like that , one get certification from US ITAR laws + Bear the cost of integration+Testing+certification , that too even after paying all the proce for premium equipment .

Communications such as these are only a fraction of what CISMoA can cover. Going back to the air strike scenario, if laser guided bombs are employed, the Indian ground troops may require a laser designator. It’s not just point and the aircraft shoots as the press and media will have you believe. That laser designator must be set to a specific agreed upon frequency of invisible laser light. The laser guided bombs loaded on the aircraft will also be set to accept that specific frequency. You can’t have the enemy using a similar frequency of laser light to direct our bombs back on us . If the frequencies do not match, the bombs won’t register a signal.

Who will guarantee compatibility of every system India purchases , more so security from highlighted part in above quote

A current real world problem for which the U.S. and other allies in the war theater’s (possibly even Indian units) are experiencing issues with unmanned air vehicles (UAV’s) communications. The frequencies are becoming ever more difficult to manage and they are jamming each other, making command and control more and more difficult if not impossible. Actually, the U.S. lost another Reaper last week in Afghanistan for an “unknown” reason which has already been traced to a loss of comm link.

This is where secure Military level GPS with Spectrum Management comes in place

8ak - Indian Defence News

Above are only few disadvantages of purchase without CISMOA
I had to write a long post bcoz IMO Purchase from US is a total compromise on part of Gov
I personally have always opposed this CISMOA+BECA+IGLA framework .
I have raised concerns about this few months back on this same defence.pk forum .

http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-...arms-india-stumble-safeguards.html#post882021

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well that certainly is a shame.

Especially with the P-8I's

Plus now news of more C-17's.
I really don't see the Benefit of paying more for less.

Who is buying these aircraft and why ?
All these FMS deals , without signing agreements.

If we have no intention of signing these frameworks then why are we buying ?

We can get From Russia or Europe , much more easily.

Billion to the US just so we can buy downgraded equipment.

but i assume we have more to loose if we sign the CISMOA+BECA+IGLA framework.

however i am reminded we signed the EUMA last time Hillary Clinton came to India.

Obama is due in at the end of the Year , something is bound to happen. If we intend to keep buying , all this US equipment we do have to sign these agreements.

I would prefer not buying the US equipment.

But Prateek sir, can you tell us in brief what would happen
if India signed these agreements when Obama comes.

As in what will be the major restrictions placed on our forces

025306.jpg

Ilyushin A-50 AWACS destined for INDIAN airforce landing in tel aviv for phalcon integration

^^^^^^^^^^^^

If we have no intention of signing these frameworks then why are we buying ?

We can get From Russia or Europe , much more easily.

You think Russian or European hardware comes without "contracts" or "agreements" ?

These are standard terms and conditions necessary to protect the interests of seller and the buyer ..jeez for crying out loud here in the US you can't get a massage without signing some document (waiver).

..its a damn shame, I guess we'll throw in a TomTom for you guys..

Back
Top Bottom