What's new

India, UK should keep eye on China military:British defence secretary Liam Fox

"Ignore" is too strong a word I think.

Perhaps today the CCP can turn a blind eye to India's complaints, but in 5-10 years, that situation can/will change completely.

We have to keep the future in mind.

Well if we compare China's diplomatics focus on the US, Europe, and Japan, ignore is just about the right word for it. I think it is probably the correct one to take, considering the attention seeking behaviour, it is meant to address.

Well if we compare China's diplomatics focus on the US, Europe, and Japan, ignore is just about the right word for it. I think it is probably the correct one to take, considering the attention seeking behaviour, it is meant to address.

Fair point then, regarding this particular scenario. :tup:

and in the meantime, India would probably get more closer to western world, which US desperately want.

one can easily make out intensions of UK wen it publicaly announces concerns which india made in private
US nd UK are not leaving a single chance to create a divide b/w india nd china
well i hope they r silenced wen hu visits india and some landmark cooperation agrements are made
well hoping for the best

and in the meantime, India would probably get more closer to western world, which US desperately want.

Sure, why not. Having close diplomatic ties between nations, is a healthy and admirable thing to have.

I have no doubt that India will continue to have an "independent foreign policy" well into the future, and so will China. It's the pragmatic solution.

Sure, why not. Having close diplomatic ties between nations, is a healthy and admirable thing to have.

I have no doubt that India will continue to have an "independent foreign policy" well into the future, and so will China. It's the pragmatic solution.

I was talking more in sense of military relations. since west need somebody (india) in asia to counter china. which neither china want nor most of indians.

i agree with the views. well said.

I was talking more in sense of military relations. since west need somebody (india) in asia to counter china. which neither china want nor most of indians.

Well it's their choice. :tup:

My perspective: Joining the US camp means that India will have to sacrifice their Independent foreign policy, and risk being drawn into many unwanted future conflicts. Such risk and volatility is not conducive to strong GDP growth, which is the most important thing right now.

Of course I hardly expect the GoI to take my personal opinion into account. At the end of the day, India will make a decision... and we'll live with it. No point in me complaining about it.

The Defence feller is trying his luck with the sale of typhoon and here is the troll brigade as usual. Nothing more than a marketing ploy. Seriously guys it has to be either China or Kashmir every where.

Ignore them as they do us. Nothing to do until spoken about.

I am not terrible worried that India will get too close to the US. India probably feels like it has a bargaining chip against China by threatening a closer relationship. But my feeling is don't expect much from China, if India plays that card.

The process of roping India in to western strategic alliances continues... bari mehengi hay yeh dosti :-)

God forbid. Let's not replicate a Pakistan here in India!

Well having good leadership helps! ;)

My perspective: Joining the US camp means that India will have to sacrifice their Independent foreign policy, and risk being drawn into many unwanted future conflicts. Such risk and volatility is not conducive to strong GDP growth, which is the most important thing right now.

Of course I hardly expect the GoI to take my personal opinion into account. At the end of the day, India will make a decision... and we'll live with it. No point in me complaining about it.

lol, my very first post was about china making decision and now you said India will make a decision.

whatever you said about sacrifice their Independent foreign policy might be true to some extent, but don't tell me that India military relations with west to counter china wouldn't worry china.

i wouldn't buy that. now if china doesn't want india to play games against her, than the solution is NOT to ignore India as said by cardshape, BUT rather keep issues on table and solve it without any bad intention.

I am not terrible worried that India will get too close to the US. India probably feels like it has a bargaining chip against China by threatening a closer relationship. But my feeling is don't expect much from China, if India plays that card.

Not sure why you'd be worried if India goes closer to US. If India is making good relationship with US, that's because it's beneficial for India. You should be worried as long as you dont want India to be benefited.

With all modesty and not exaggerating a bit, it will take something far, far greater than China, for India to be used as bargaining chip.

Last edited:

Actually my friend India has already made a decision of moving in the middle path. If not by now u would have seen us get involved in the quagmire called Afgh.... by now.

While the intentions of USA are well known, this kind of rhetoric is useless since UK is not even a shadow of its former past and i don't think anybody other than USA can even mount a war on India leave aside China. These are kept up from time to time i guess to make us Indians believe that some how we are champions of west in this region.

Let me tell u our policy makers are not fools to be dragged into such situations. Its obvious that while they are good with us we have to reap all we can technology wise or trade wise or diplomatic wise.

whatever you said about sacrifice their Independent foreign policy might be true to some extent, but don't tell me that India military relations with west to counter china wouldn't worry china.

Jeez it's nakedly transparent what you want here. Chinese bribes for not joining the Americans. Either give up territorial claims, redress of trade imbalance (a natural one I might add), or giving up its support for Pakistan.

Blackmail

Back
Top Bottom