What's new

India rejects trilateral security pact with Australia, US

Indian Army

Reaction score
India rejects trilateral security pact with Australia, US

NEW DELHI: India on Thursday voiced surprise at Australian foreign minister Kevin Rudd's remarks suggesting trilateral security agreement between US, India and Australia, and made it clear it was not keen on it.

"We are not aware of any such proposal," Vishnu Prakash, the external affairs ministry's spokesperson, said in response to a question.

The defence ministry officials took a tougher stand, saying they were taken aback at the statement of the Australian foreign minister.

The defence ministry also stated that it is not "keen on hopping to any multilateral security constructs in the region excepting those under the UN flag or such broad-based arrangements as ASEAN Defence Ministers Meet (ADMM +) and ASEAN Regional Forum".

In an interview with the Australian Financial Review newspaper, Rudd backed the formation of a security pact with India and the US, saying it could come into being if Canberra ends a ban on uranium sales.

A new trilateral accord was worth exploring because "from little things big things grow," Rudd said.

"The response from the Indian government has really been quite positive," Rudd had said.

But India's clarification on Thursday makes it clear that it is not keen on such a proposal.

Good move by INDIA,,,,, a lot more to learn for some people!!! ;)

We haven't still decided on it and on the other hand CHINESE media have started speculation about the result,I m saying this because already on thread is running on this topic..

I didn't expect this, although was not in favor of ties with Australia which have anti-India policy. I hope we go ahead with any similar ties if Ind-US-Japan trio is in place.

What the hell is the matter with the ozzies?

Poking there noses in every place nowadays.

I know the Indian members here will disagree with me, but this is a good move by the Indian government in the long run.

The only thing that is happening is that Indian officials are being circumspect. They want to play their cards close to their chest. Do you actually believe that the Australian FM was just talking through his hat? This way the official Indian position can be that "we don't know about any such proposal & we are not keen on multilateral security plans. If it was true, what are they doing with the Americans & the Japanese?

India has a long history of keeping out of such pacts & treaties. So no surprises here. But if China keeps on irritating India more, there is no option to but to consider this trilateral

I know the Indian members here will disagree with me, but this is a good move by the Indian government in the long run.

As long as China doesnt have any grand plans of encircling India, India would not have any plans to encircle China too .

Its only Australia which is feeling the Chinese heat and eager to form an alliance

Back
Top Bottom