What's new

India Lifts Imports of Iran's Oil

Iran paying for grain with gold, oil: traders - Yahoo! News

PARIS/HAMBURG (Reuters) - Iran is seeking to close grain purchases using gold and oil as payment, and has paid in yen for a large volume of wheat in its first deal since western sanctions against Tehran started choking imports of food staples, European wheat exporters said.

Iran bought at least 200,000 tonnes of soft wheat on the world market last week for prompt delivery from private sellers - mostly of Australian origin - but some traders said the United States could possibly account for part of the volume.

New financial sanctions imposed since the beginning of this year to punish Tehran over its nuclear program have ended up playing havoc with Iran's ability to buy imports and receive payment for key food items.

The sanctions have drastically cut its ability to obtain euro and dollar denominated financing, forcing Tehran to find alternative ways to pay for its imports.

Traders believed the Iranian government had used companies based in Switzerland capable of financing themselves in Asia, and used yen-based contracts to finance the 200,000-tonne deal.

A fall in maize supplies from major exporter Ukraine due to sanction-related payment problems prompted Iranian animal feed makers to turn to wheat, reducing volume for food and compelling the Islamic Republic to turn to the world market.

"The Iranians have just purchased about 200,000 tonnes of wheat from multi-national trading houses," one European trader said. "There is market talk of up to 400,000 tonnes."

In an interview with Reuters on Wednesday, U.S. agri-giant Cargill's vice chairman said shipments were still possible with Iran, notably through payments in currencies other than the dollar.

Iranian Trade Secretary Rahul Khullar told reporters on Thursday that one private Iranian buyer was interested in importing "a very large quantity" of wheat from India.

Iran, which may not be self-sufficient in wheat this season due to an expected lower harvest, usually favors Australian, Canadian and even in some years U.S. wheat when it imports due to their high protein levels, as opposed to Argentine, Black Sea or European wheat origins.

GOLD, OIL

Iran, which is still in the market to buy additional wheat supplies, is also considering barter deals to feed its 74 million people weeks before a presidential election, they said.

Grain ships are stuck outside Iranian ports and exports of staples to Iran such as maize, sugar, palm oil and rice are being hindered as collecting payment from buyers gets harder.

"Grain deals are being paid for in gold bullion and barter deals involving oil are being offered," one trader said. "Some of the major trading houses are involved," he added.

Traders said details of how barter deals work were still unclear as the problem had developed so quickly.

Iranian buyers have in the past side-stepped sanctions by booking business through third countries, especially Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, traders said. But this option had been suddenly closed as the UAE was not allowing sanction-breaking finance, they said.

"As the shipments of grain are so large, barter or gold payments are the quickest option," another trader said.

One European grains trader also said a project for preferential supplies between Iran and Kazakhstan for 2 million tonnes might be reactivated.

"One of the closest (supply) sources is Kazakhstan because the Iranians have solid links with this country but also because the two governments are centralized and deals can me made between states," Michel Ferret, head of the markets division at French farm office FranceAgriMer, said.

This would make even more sense if Iran went ahead with its threat to block the Strait of Hormuz, a vital Gulf oil shipping route, traders also said.

Data from the International Grains Council and the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimate that Iran should import around 500,000 tonnes of wheat in the 2011/2012 season up to the end of June but the sanctions and the lower maize supplies could lead to an increase in wheat needs.

Iran had said in July it would be self-sufficient in the production of wheat in the course of the year and was capable of exporting two million tonnes of wheat.

Israel did not help in 1971, but did help in 1999 (Kargil war), specifically with emergency supply of artillery shells. For the past 15 years there has been a very intense defense technology relationship with them, including technology transfers, such as the Green Pine radar system, of which India has built its own version.

Anyway as regards the Iran Israel problem, India will definitely take into account Israel's concerns. But Iran has an important role to play in stabilizing Afghanistan. Israel will need to understand India's need to maintain cordial relations with Iran.

If I were asked to give my suggestions to Israel, I would ask them to put a little sanity into the heads of their supporters in Europe and North America. What was the need for the disgusting spectacle in Libya? Now who can advise anybody to give up their nuclear program?

As for the Iranians, I hope they will soon get a better government, just as we in India are struggling for better governance.

Practically speaking, I expect a small decline in Indian imports from Iran, but no sanctions.

Iran paying for grain with gold, oil: traders - Yahoo! News

PARIS/HAMBURG (Reuters) - Iran is seeking to close grain purchases using gold and oil as payment, and has paid in yen for a large volume of wheat in its first deal since western sanctions against Tehran started choking imports of food staples, European wheat exporters said.

Iran bought at least 200,000 tonnes of soft wheat on the world market last week for prompt delivery from private sellers - mostly of Australian origin - but some traders said the United States could possibly account for part of the volume.

New financial sanctions imposed since the beginning of this year to punish Tehran over its nuclear program have ended up playing havoc with Iran's ability to buy imports and receive payment for key food items.

The sanctions have drastically cut its ability to obtain euro and dollar denominated financing, forcing Tehran to find alternative ways to pay for its imports.

Traders believed the Iranian government had used companies based in Switzerland capable of financing themselves in Asia, and used yen-based contracts to finance the 200,000-tonne deal.

A fall in maize supplies from major exporter Ukraine due to sanction-related payment problems prompted Iranian animal feed makers to turn to wheat, reducing volume for food and compelling the Islamic Republic to turn to the world market.

"The Iranians have just purchased about 200,000 tonnes of wheat from multi-national trading houses," one European trader said. "There is market talk of up to 400,000 tonnes."

In an interview with Reuters on Wednesday, U.S. agri-giant Cargill's vice chairman said shipments were still possible with Iran, notably through payments in currencies other than the dollar.

Iranian Trade Secretary Rahul Khullar told reporters on Thursday that one private Iranian buyer was interested in importing "a very large quantity" of wheat from India.

Iran, which may not be self-sufficient in wheat this season due to an expected lower harvest, usually favors Australian, Canadian and even in some years U.S. wheat when it imports due to their high protein levels, as opposed to Argentine, Black Sea or European wheat origins.

GOLD, OIL

Iran, which is still in the market to buy additional wheat supplies, is also considering barter deals to feed its 74 million people weeks before a presidential election, they said.

Grain ships are stuck outside Iranian ports and exports of staples to Iran such as maize, sugar, palm oil and rice are being hindered as collecting payment from buyers gets harder.

"Grain deals are being paid for in gold bullion and barter deals involving oil are being offered," one trader said. "Some of the major trading houses are involved," he added.

Traders said details of how barter deals work were still unclear as the problem had developed so quickly.

Iranian buyers have in the past side-stepped sanctions by booking business through third countries, especially Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, traders said. But this option had been suddenly closed as the UAE was not allowing sanction-breaking finance, they said.

"As the shipments of grain are so large, barter or gold payments are the quickest option," another trader said.

One European grains trader also said a project for preferential supplies between Iran and Kazakhstan for 2 million tonnes might be reactivated.

"One of the closest (supply) sources is Kazakhstan because the Iranians have solid links with this country but also because the two governments are centralized and deals can me made between states," Michel Ferret, head of the markets division at French farm office FranceAgriMer, said.

This would make even more sense if Iran went ahead with its threat to block the Strait of Hormuz, a vital Gulf oil shipping route, traders also said.

Data from the International Grains Council and the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimate that Iran should import around 500,000 tonnes of wheat in the 2011/2012 season up to the end of June but the sanctions and the lower maize supplies could lead to an increase in wheat needs.

Iran had said in July it would be self-sufficient in the production of wheat in the course of the year and was capable of exporting two million tonnes of wheat.

Perfect opportunity for oil hungry China and gold hungry India to get some oil/gold for mere grains! The sanctions will backfire at US really hard...

We didn't recognize Iran until 1991 bcs our leaders were too busy a**kissing ME countries. Finally realization dawned upon our politicians and we recognized Israel in 1991 and after 8 years there was another war with Pakistan in Kargil and it was Israeli expertise that saved a lot of Indian lives. We would have won war one way or another, but Israeli helped it to shorten the war saving many Indian lives.

USSR/Israel are the two countries that stood by India ' when s**t hit the fan' and we as Indians should never forget that.
One thing which really surprises me is the amount of hatred towards Jews , if you are Muslim you must hate Israel and you should also convince other people to hate Israel,otherwise I will be offended.

Sorry but I as a Sikh ,cannot be a partner in your vicious hatred toward someone who has done nothing wrong against me.

saying this I have nothing against any community or religion.
I want my country to have friendly relations with everyone including Iran or SA or Israel and hatred against none.But we do need to Recognize our real friends.

One thing which really surprises me is the amount of hatred towards Jews , if you are Muslim you must hate Israel and you should also convince other people to hate Israel,otherwise I will be offended.

Sorry but I as a Sikh ,cannot be a partner in your vicious hatred toward someone who has done nothing wrong against me.

saying this I have nothing against any community or religion.
I want my country to have friendly relations with everyone including Iran or SA or Israel and hatred against none.But we do need to Recognize our real friends.

Muslims make no distinction b/n Jews and Israelis. A normal Muslim will be offended by a generalization of their community based on the action of Islamic fundamentalists..but they have no qualms in generalizing the whole of Hindus based on the actions of Gujurati Hindus or generalizing whole of Christians based on the actions of US/UK Christians in ME.

Perfect opportunity for oil hungry China and gold hungry India to get some oil/gold for mere grains! The sanctions will backfire at US really hard...

How? Iran is bleeding its gold reserves and had to settle for oil rather than hard cash just to pay for their essentials and forget the military imports. It doesn't matter how much you hate the 'Great Satan' you need 'Great Satan's currency' to do business.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

true, but all of them don't do it.

90% of them don't. See any Islamic demonstration against Israel and I am sure there will be some one yelling 'Kill the Jews'.

How? Iran is bleeding its gold reserves and had to settle for oil rather than hard cash just to pay for their essentials and forget the military imports. It doesn't matter how much you hate the 'Great Satan' you need 'Great Satan's currency' to do business.

Nah, the economic landscape is changing rapidly. Dollar is not anymore the currency it used to be in the old days. "Great Satan" is bleeding at the moment more than Iran, the trust for Dollar is falling. On the other hand, China is rising and they are becoming more and more hungry for oil, which they can't get from the West but from the Middle East. China is only dependent on luxury products from the West, while they are dependent on raw materials from Middle East (Iran). Hence Iran has the oppurtunity to turn thWestern sanctions into potentials. First of all Iran has lived under sanctions for many years now, and this hasnt stopped their economic growth considerably. Instead self-preservation has grown so much that their technological sophistication is the fastest growing in the world. I don't think Iran is gonna break with Western sanctions.

You can't compare Iran with Saddam's Iraq. Iraq was completely made a fool by the international community because of a total clown like Saddam Hussein and his dictatorship. China and other potential powers (Russia, and even India) had not the same actuality they have today. Hence they were totally isolated from their sorroundings. Even their Arab allies had left them totally alone (like Syria today). And keep in mind the enourmous difference between Iran and Iraq in every single field you can think of.

USA is not what it used to be. The East is where the momentum lies today, absoluetely no doubt about that. The capital is rapidly moving from the West to the East. And Chinese leaders will undoubtedly take all of this into consideration in their political games. Hence, Iran is not the one who is bleeding, but it is the US. It accomplished antagonizing the world with its agressive foreign policy, while China has stayed quiet with its soft power.

Iran is habituating to live under sanctions for a long time , doing this , once it will immune & no sanctions will work . It will depends on itself . Now they are trying to business with other countries with mutual currencies , this degrading the importance of dollars . If Iran successful to do this other countries may practice use of local currencies for trade . Lets see who ultimately win the economic war between US & Iran . I think Europeans are the ultimate looser .

I tend to disagree..we need Israel more than Iran. We can get oil from somewhere else and riches in CA can wait, but who will sell us hightech technologies like Greenpine, Phalcon radars and Tavor assault rifles. Also Israeli companies made billions of dollars investment in our economy and many places in India benefitted from the Israeli expertise on making 'Deserts bloom'.

Hundreds of our soldier's lives was saved and war shortened in Kargil bcs Israel modified our mirages to drop LGBs and if rumors are correct also supplied us with LGBs (many from their own reserve). What did Iran did for us?

Relations with nations are based on necessity and interest , for Israel India is non-hostile nation and good market for her weapons. If there is situation where Israel has to make concessions on relations with India for her interests ,Israel won't hesitate to do so and i wouldn't blame Israel for doing so either.

There were a lot events when on which the Soviets/Russians helped us , but that didn't mean we supported the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan or Russian invasion of Georgia.

Iran is important too because oil resources and the greater role Iran will play in the region.

like India Iraq relations before US invasion :whistle::whistle:

What? You think of us as crazy that we'd fight someone else's war? That is assuming that you're a European. How many times has China fought someone else's war? Not even once. What it fought in Korea was fighting for its own border alongside USSR.

No one fights others wars. And Iran is more than capable of defending itself unless you're telling me that they'd be turned into another Iraq.

Relations with nations are based on necessity and interest , for Israel India is non-hostile nation and good market for her weapons. If there is situation where Israel has to make concessions on relations with India for her interests ,Israel won't hesitate to do so and i wouldn't blame Israel for doing so either.

True. As long as our interests converge, we are strategic partners. So far, our interests converge a lot so we're partners.

There were a lot events when on which the Soviets/Russians helped us , but that didn't mean we supported the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan or Russian invasion of Georgia.

We actually did. Indira announced it very strongly in UN itself. Why do you think the Talibunnies hate us (apart from being Kafirs)? Because we vehemently supported the Soviet invasion politically and gave it a big vote of yes in UN, boosting Soviet stand further. We supported that war in every way except militarily (which IMO we should have since anyway jihad did come to our country without doing anything).

And MMS did convey to Medvedev indirect support to Georgian war. I am saying this based on interpreting a data report that I was reading during that war in 2008.

While we've maintained a "no call" stand explicitly, most of our strategic partners have always gotten our political support in unconventional means.

Iran is important too because oil resources and the greater role Iran will play in the region.

But Chinese have offered RMB to trade as an alternative and that's pretty lucrative. If we open up Rupee reserves, Iran practically won't need dollars at all. Although this might create some serious problems for us politically with the US. We could though consider buying Iranian oil in gold or even use that Russian government bank to transact our deals in Rubles. Wonder how much Russians would be interested in doing this.

Why is Iran important just bcs of oil..I would give more importance to KSA as they not only provide us with oil but also provides employment opportunities to thousands of Indians. If given a choice b/n Israel & Iran , I will gladly chose Israel as for me national security is more important.

But Chinese have offered RMB to trade as an alternative and that's pretty lucrative. If we open up Rupee reserves, Iran practically won't need dollars at all. Although this might create some serious problems for us politically with the US. We could though consider buying Iranian oil in gold or even use that Russian government bank to transact our deals in Rubles. Wonder how much Russians would be interested in doing this.

As far as I head Iran is not open to trade their oil for rupees.

Back
Top Bottom