What's new

India involved in illicit nuclear activities: US t

Originally posted by Jana@Mar 20 2006, 04:05 PM
well hammer its not hypothetical its very much possible but i dont think so US gonna put any sanction on India even if it conducts further explosions.
[post=7421]Quoted post[/post]​

Jana jee, please elaborate.

Originally posted by Hammer@Mar 20 2006, 05:40 PM
If India conducts a nuclear test now, even the US wont be able to save us from world condemnation and diplomatic isolation. US may not put any sanctions on us but they wont be able to stop others from doing that. The Indian economy is growing faster than expected and this is helping India a lot in all fronts. It is far more important than the nuclear tests.
India wouldnt even think of nuclear tests for the next two decades or so.
[post=7425]Quoted post[/post]​

If India conducts another nuclear test, it will take US down in the worldwide condemnation so the pressure would be on the US to make sure India refrains from doing so.

Self imposed ban on further tests is a temporary thing, India needed to do so to show some goodwill and to minimise the damage to its reputation.
But further tests will be necessary in near future as India will expand its nuclear capabilities from A to N and H bomb, there's probably already an underground programme for it.
But you'll wait for the right time to demonstrate the capability which will only come once you have gained full relf reliance in nuclear technology and no longer need the US or other NSG members.

It took almost a quarter century after the first test in May '74 to take it to the next level.
Imagine where India will be in two decades from now...
Just think..

Originally posted by Hammer@Mar 20 2006, 09:40 PM
If India conducts a nuclear test now, even the US wont be able to save us from world condemnation and diplomatic isolation. US may not put any sanctions on us but they wont be able to stop others from doing that. The Indian economy is growing faster than expected and this is helping India a lot in all fronts. It is far more important than the nuclear tests.
India wouldnt even think of nuclear tests for the next two decades or so.
[post=7425]Quoted post[/post]​

Sanctions and world condemnation are two separate things the later is of not much weight these days and mere rehtoric so it wont hurt india right!.
Seconldy yes i think now its no time for those countries to carry another nuclear explosion who had already went with that so it means not only India but Pakistan or any other nuclear country will go for that so its understandable.
Now what i had asked for i need some feed back on that from Indian members so plz try to give ur comment without any sentiment but fairly on all the possibilities of problems the deal can create for India.
If anyone willing here it will be nice of you.looking forward to ur indepth analysis :) Jana

Originally posted by Jana@Mar 21 2006, 05:24 PM
Now what i had asked for i need some feed back on that from Indian members so plz try to give ur comment without any sentiment but fairly on all the possibilities of problems the deal can create for India.
If anyone willing here it will be nice of you.looking forward to ur indepth analysis :) Jana
[post=7481]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe you can help us find out a problem that India might have to face in this deal .As far as I know, the deal has gone in India's favour. We would like to hear your viewpoints aswell.

Originally posted by Neo@Mar 21 2006, 01:27 AM
Self imposed ban on further tests is a temporary thing, India needed to do so to show some goodwill and to minimise the damage to its reputation.
But further tests will be necessary in near future as India will expand its nuclear capabilities from A to N and H bomb, there's probably already an underground programme for it.
But you'll wait for the right time to demonstrate the capability which will only come once you have gained full relf reliance in nuclear technology and no longer need the US or other NSG members.

It took almost a quarter century after the first test in May '74 to take it to the next level.
Imagine where India will be in two decades from now...
Just think..
[post=7435]Quoted post[/post]​
I concur. Excellent analysis. India will wait for the right moment before it thinks about testing another nuclear weapon. But that moment is atleast two decades away.

Originally posted by Jana@Mar 21 2006, 12:54 PM
Sanctions and world condemnation are two separate things the later is of not much weight these days and mere rehtoric so it wont hurt india right!.
Seconldy yes i think now its no time for those countries to carry another nuclear explosion who had already went with that so it means not only India but Pakistan or any other nuclear country will go for that so its understandable.
[post=7481]Quoted post[/post]​

Jana Jee,

I'm not an India expert on this topic, but I believe that both India and the US are in a win win situation here.
Did you notice the change in oppositions attitude the day before Bush arrived in Delhi?
India has more to gain, she's not giving away too much. If 14 civil reactors come under IAEA safeguard, so what?
Atleast she can now get fuel from the international market and exploit the local fuel, plutonium or uranium for military purposes cause these will not be fuelled from the US.

All we get here is a little more understanding about the pace Indian military nuke programme is in. Its understood that India will free enough plutonium to develop 15-20 warheads per year (double from current situation) considering the fact that 3.25kg plutonium is required for the average Indian design. This figure will grow if India sucessfully achieves uranium enrichment capabilty which is alledgely being done secretly.

India's main rival is China, not Pakistan. China has inbetween 200-1000 warheads, so India has a lot of catching to do.
Opposition finally understood the situation and surrendered to Singh.

Originally posted by Hammer@Mar 21 2006, 06:05 PM
I concur. Excellent analysis. India will wait for the right moment before it thinks about testing another nuclear weapon. But that moment is atleast two decades away.
[post=7494]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks buddy! :)

All we get here is a little more understanding about the pace Indian military nuke programme is in. Its understood that India will free enough plutonium to develop 15-20 warheads per year (double from current situation) considering the fact that 3.25kg plutonium is required for the average Indian design.

Boss, you have to tell me where you got those numbers from.

The number of warheads we make - or the number of warheads we CAN make, amount of Plutonium required are all closely guarded secrets.

This figure will grow if India sucessfully achieves uranium enrichment capabilty which is alledgely being done secretly

We have been enriching uranium for a few decades now!

Originally posted by Samudra@Mar 22 2006, 09:27 AM
Boss, you have to tell me where you got those numbers from.

The number of warheads we make - or the number of warheads we CAN make, amount of Plutonium required are all closely guarded secrets.
We have been enriching uranium for a few decades now!
[post=7546]Quoted post[/post]​

Sam,
I got those figures from some American site but I'm unable to provide the link.
Much has been published worldwide about this Indo-US energy deal.

Yes, yes, them Americans have been very curious to find out what MND means to India.

It will not be easy. :cool:

No the biggest point over here OIL!!!
america which bush rightly says is in love with oil will be able to drink more at better prices once the demand is softened by India moving onto alternate source of energy.

Originally posted by Prashant@Mar 22 2006, 03:31 PM
No the biggest point over here OIL!!!
america which bush rightly says is in love with oil will be able to drink more at better prices once the demand is softened by India moving onto alternate source of energy.
[post=7556]Quoted post[/post]​

I will say it again.
The ramifications of this deal will be felt only after DECADES.
How does this deal reduce India's consumption of oil in the next two decades?

Nuclear reactors dont help us to run cars and bikes.
And by three decades, US and other oil importers would be eager to switch over to alternative energy for fuelling automobiles etc.

Originally posted by Samudra@Mar 22 2006, 11:13 AM
I will say it again.

And by three decades, US and other oil importers would be eager to switch over to alternative energy for fuelling automobiles etc.
[post=7559]Quoted post[/post]​

Good point Sam!

Originally posted by Samudra@Mar 22 2006, 03:43 PM
I will say it again.

The major consumption of oil (in India) is done by thermal power stations that generate electricity, and not by motor vehicles. The increse in Indian industrialisation and growth has fuelled the demand for more power and thermal power is faster developed than hydel power (because of environmental issues). The civilian nuclear reactors are meant to supply this increase in electrical power, thereby reducing the oil demand in the international market. This will keep the global oil prices low.

Motor vehicles will continue to use oil till "green" enegry technology becomes commercially viable.

Sir,

I was under the impression that thermal power stations fire coal in their boilers to produce heat which in turn produce steam to run the turbines.

OTOH, if you are talking about Diesel Engine Power Plants or Gas Turbine Combined Cycle Power Plants then yes, we do have quite a few of them.

Go here to find a list of power plants in India.

A vast majority are conventional thermals.In 1995, India had an installed generating capacity of 81,000 megawatts (MW), of which 73 percent was thermal

Back
Top Bottom