What's new

India flags off first train in Kashmir Valley

PeaceForAll

BANNED
Reaction score
PM flags off first train in Kashmir Valley
Saturday, 11 October , 2008, 12:25

Srinagar: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday flagged off the first train service in Kashmir valley, realising the decades old dream of the people in the region through the prestigious project launched in 1998.

Singh, accompanied by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav and Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra, flagged off the flower-decked train from Srinagar railway station at Nowgam.

The train, which was flagged off 10 years after the project was started by then Prime Minister Inder Kumar Gujral, carried school children. Initially, the train will run from Rajwansher in Budgam district to Anantnag, covering a distance of 66 kms, the spokesman said, adding the fare for the travel will be Rs 15.

The regular service of the train will commence from October 12. There will be an eight-coach DEMU rake in the train, he said. The stoppages will be at Budgam, Srinagar, Pampore, Kakapora, Awantipora, Panjgam, Bijbehara, Rajwansher and Anantnag, the spokesman said.

The train, which is expected to cover the 66-km in about 1 hour and 35 minutes including stoppage time at various stations, will be run twice a day from either side. Anti-skid flooring and sliding doors have been provided in the coaches and distinctive and attractive colour schemes have been used.

Like the state-of-the art Delhi Metro, public information system with display and automatic announcement are included in the coaches. The coaches have executive chair-car type seating arrangement with fire resistant grade upholstery and reclining mechanism.

The driver's cab has heating and defogging unit keeping in view the cold climate. Snow cutting type cattle guard is attached at the driver's end of the train for snow clearance from tracks during winter. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday inaugurated the 450-MW Baglihar hydroelectric power project built on river Chenab in Ramban district of Jammu and Kashmir.

I saw reports of 'india matching china in border infrastructure' ... now its doing that with Pak as well?

Should help the people of J&K to commute in comfort and safety all year round.

And would also help in better integration with the country. Good news for everyone.

Yes, this is exactly why hundreds of thousands protested, waved Pakistani flags and outright rejected any acceptance of Indian sovereignty - a train.

I think initiation of the cross LoC trade and travel will probably be the biggest calming factor in the Valley.

Good news, this railway link will not only connect India with Kashmir but also provided much needed jobs to locals and with the stabilisation of situation boost tourism and the local economy.

PS: I am pretty sure the ones who protested, raised Pakistani flags(the pic pointed to an Islamic rather than Pakistani flag, shouted anti-India slogans would be riding this train a few months down the line, sipping some nice assam brew and eating Marie lite biscuit.

Attachments

• _44965563_7e52c459-6525-4921-866c-7c45e4fd5a12.jpg
    _44965563_7e52c459-6525-4921-866c-7c45e4fd5a12.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 37
PS: I am pretty sure the ones who protested, raised Pakistani flags(the pic pointed to an Islamic rather than Pakistani flag, shouted anti-India slogans would be riding this train a few months down the line, sipping some nice assam brew and eating Marie lite biscuit.

Way to go - diss India and enjoy the benefits at the same time.

Now thats being smart!

I am sure guilty of that too .. I have dissed Indian govt, people etc. far more than most anti-India Pakistanis, but in front of a Pakistani I wouldn't (well not too much) ;) and then I expect the Govt to carry out my whims and fancies

I saw reports of 'india matching china in border infrastructure' ... now its doing that with Pak as well?

Nope, Pak tries to match Indian infrastructure in this case. After Indian Railways started the plan to build railways in Kashmir, voices were raised in Pakistan that India was marching ahead and sorts. They are now trying to build their railways, will take a long time though.

India has never shied away from developing infrastructure in the border with Pakistan. India however deliberately did not develop any infrastructure near the border with China because it was expected to be counter-productive. The Army did not have enough of mechanized armour to be able to use the roads, etc, something thats changing now.

Way to go - diss India and enjoy the benefits at the same time.

Now thats being smart!

Kashmiri's have been smart-doing this- for a long time now.

But this is different, more and more connectivity with the rest of the country will help in integration with the rest of the country.

I agree with the member above not being racist but IMO Kashmiris(all hues) are adept at this game.
I have 2 historical events which shaped my opinion, For eg the Kashmiris invited Ranjit Singh to rid Kashmir of the Afghan ruler and they later dubbed his rule as Sikha Shahi rule(derogatory), the Kashmiris invited India during 1947 to rid them of Pathans and now they diss Indian govt etc...

the Kashmiris invited India during 1947 to rid them of Pathans and now they diss Indian govt etc...

That of course is entirely debatable, and IMO entirely untrue, unless one tyrant counts as the "kashmiris".

Dunno if it is being smart. I know of some hypocrites among those flag wavers.

Take the example of Mr. Gilani, he takes Pension from Indian government, is provided security by India, is saved from his myriad illnesses by Indian doctors and then turns on the same India without any compunctions.

He may think it's smart, I call it treason and hypocrisy.

That of course is entirely debatable, and IMO entirely untrue, unless one tyrant counts as the "kashmiris".

AM, you really don't know the loot, rape and plunder indulged in by the raiders? They turned the whole valley against them.

You are not aware of the loot of Mujaffarabad, the rape and massacres of Baramula, the cathdral that was destroyed and nuns raped there etc.!

All that was not done to one tyrant but to ordinary Kashmiris.

I personally hold Sher-e-Kashmir with some reverence (less than what Kashmiris have for him) and hence take his speech at the UN to be truthful. If Kashmir's beloved Sher was indeed lying then it further leads credence to my assumption/opinion that Kashmiris know how to play this game and play it better than anyone else.

Economically this will be better for the valley. It is a simple equation when money flows in the riots and anti-Indian theme songs will lessen. Just like China trying to accomplish the same senirio with tibet.

Equating Tibet-China with Kashmir-India tantamounts to either sedition or gross lack of grey matter or a LOL moment, take your pick.

As for your assertion where money flows -> riots lessen, is untrue in case of Kashmir as Indian govt is pumping billions in valley and not even thousands in Ladakh and Jammu yet the subversive activities take place only in the valley. The Indian formula of quelling such movements aka that of pumping money, beefing up security has failed here because of one reason and one reason .. its starts with art and ends with 370.

Back
Top Bottom